• Yes

Votes: 92 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 59 39.1%

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
They could just program the teams colours into the VAR computer and speed up the decision making
Great idea!

I did laugh when I saw the news about VAR being introduced In Scotland. They showed the control centre with the VAR officials wearing tops with Specsavers written on the back. Someone has a sense of humour.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Looked like a shove to me, he had both hands on Websters back. Shoulder-barges are one thing, but he basically manhandled Webster out of the way. Zero surprise he was given the benefit though.

Of greater concern for me, was WTF was Sanchez doing ?? Off his line, outside the box, nowhere near intercepting anything. Its yet another FFS moment from our keeper to add to the growing collection.
Sanchez was reacting to a interesting tactical decision to leave the entire Brighton half of the pitch empty for any through ball to turn into a running contest between the Brighton CBs and Erling Haaland, as well as a individual decision by Lewis Dunk to take a step in front of Haaland to - probably - make some kind of offside trap. Which wasn't going to work. It forces Sanchez to come out and he has to anticipate both exactly where the ball is going and the pace of the opponent and failed at least with the latter.

When a long ball from the opposing goalie can put their striker in a one vs one with the keeper, a lot of things went wrong even before Sanchez stepped off his line.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I always think it's easier to stand up rather than fall over. Weak by Webster, don't think he's been on it for the last few weeks.
It is 100% impossible to stand up in that situation. When they collide, Webster has just one of his foots on the ground and his left arm slightly behind him as part of the running motion... if you're in that position and a train hits you in the side, you fall over.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
It is 100% impossible to stand up in that situation. When they collide, Webster has just one of his foots on the ground and his left arm slightly behind him as part of the running motion... if you're in that position and a train hits you in the side, you fall over.
The trains were on strike, Webster was just weak.
Also Sanchez was at fault coming miles out and not getting the ball.
Simply poor defending all round.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Haven't read the whole thread but no foul for me. Haaland was just bigger and stronger. Reminded me of kids football when there's one kid that's just bigger, stronger, faster, sharper than everyone else.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sanchez was reacting to a interesting tactical decision to leave the entire Brighton half of the pitch empty for any through ball to turn into a running contest between the Brighton CBs and Erling Haaland, as well as a individual decision by Lewis Dunk to take a step in front of Haaland to - probably - make some kind of offside trap. Which wasn't going to work. It forces Sanchez to come out and he has to anticipate both exactly where the ball is going and the pace of the opponent and failed at least with the latter.

When a long ball from the opposing goalie can put their striker in a one vs one with the keeper, a lot of things went wrong even before Sanchez stepped off his line.
None of the defending was great, but to see your last line of defence zooming out past the player and the ball to leave an open goal behind him - that ain't too clever. He completely misjudged it. Had he stayed on his line he might have had a chance of a block or a smother. Instead Haaland was left with his easiest finish of the season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
None of the defending was great, but to see your last line of defence zooming out past the player and the ball to leave an open goal behind him - that ain't too clever. He completely misjudged it. Had he stayed on his line he might have had a chance of a block or a smother. Instead Haaland was left with his easiest finish of the season.
If he had stayed glued on his line like a 1930s goalie he would in no doubt get a bag of shite for not coming out to try to intercept it. He definitely misjudged it but was put in a dire situation.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
WTAF?! Webster was still complaing to the ref at half-time!!!
But it's a bit late appealing at half time. I agree that he appealed at the time, but the fact that Bodian thinks he didn't does highlight that it wasn't much of an appeal. Instead of curled up wounded, it was more of an 'oh, he scored, could you perhaps give us a free kick ref?'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If he had stayed glued on his line like a 1930s goalie he would in no doubt get a bag of shite for not coming out to try to intercept it. He definitely misjudged it but was put in a dire situation.
He'd have got no grief from me. Dunk / Webster should have been capable of cleaning up that long ball without Sanchez getting involved, or at least holding things up. There was no need for Sanchez to come charging off his line, he just confused things and made matters worse.

I'm not saying Haaland wouldn't have scored had he stayed on his line, but he would at least have had someone else to beat. It was a big misjudgement on his part that led to a simple finish.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
He made that situation for himself he decided it was best for three Albion players to deal with a bouncing ball. Very poor all round conceding from an old style punt fiwn the middle of the pitch.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He made that situation for himself he decided it was best for three Albion players to deal with a bouncing ball. Very poor all round conceding from an old style punt fiwn the middle of the pitch.
I suppose some of this is the mentality and fear of the opponent. They would all have been scared of facing Haaland, and that gets into your mind - so you think 'right, mustn't let him get the ball - I'll go out and clear it'. It's a bit like when under the cosh for an hour, you get a sudden chance - rarely do you act calmly as you would do normally, you're so desperate to take advantage of what might be your only chance of the game - you rush it and cock it up.

That's why football is what it is - and what keeps us watching.

Mr Moofo

Aug 29, 2015
It wasn't a foul - it is just the nature of the game. Way too much whining going on.
The penalty for Citeh was very soft - Silva stuck his leg out to get it - and the VAR check came ages after the incident.
But Haaland should have had a penalty for Sanchez's trip early on...

TBH - in resume of being there,
Brighton did really well to stifle Citeh up until the Haaland goal.
Sanchez seems to be a bit flaky
De Bruyne in now going to ground quicker that Salah
The referee seemed to hopeless
Brighton played extremely well - the score really flatters Citeh. But Brighton seem to be can to the days where nobody want to try an score

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Foul. Had Webster done that to Haaland it would have been a nailed on pen and quite possibly a red for Webster.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
He'd have got no grief from me. Dunk / Webster should have been capable of cleaning up that long ball without Sanchez getting involved, or at least holding things up. There was no need for Sanchez to come charging off his line, he just confused things and made matters worse.

He came for that ball precisely because Dunk and Webster weren't able to deal with it. I'm confident that it was a position he didn't want to be in, I've not met a goalkeeper yet who enjoys being put in that position, they are well aware that if they f*** it up they concede a goal or clatter the striker and get sent off.

That he was too slow to get there is obvious but the question is why? Was he too slow to make the decision or was he coming from too deep a starting position? Or is Haaland just that much faster than he thought?

If Brighton were going man to man that necessitates Sanchez playing as a sweeper as there's no defensive cover for that ball over the top. Webster is out on the left touch line with his man, Haaland pulls Dunk 15 yards into the city half before making the run into the ocean of space that created. Sanchez had to come. I would have been more annoyed if he didn't. That would have been the action of someone scared and trying to cover their back. Yes perhaps the majority of people who don't understand the position would have said nothing but it wouldn't have been the right thing to do and people not knowing that doesn't alter the fact.

If we're going to continue with that style of play then Sanchez will need to continue sweeping and will have to work on perfecting it. If he can't then we'll either have to change that aspect of our play or get a new keeper(which I am not advocating btw). Like I said, the question for me isn't why did he come but why was he two yards too slow/late.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Foul. Had Webster done that to Haaland it would have been a nailed on pen and quite possibly a red for Webster.
If Webster made Haaland fall to the ground, he would likely have been using a chainsaw to saw both of his legs off and that is indeed a red card according to the law book, I believe.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Looked like a shove to me, he had both hands on Websters back. Shoulder-barges are one thing, but he basically manhandled Webster out of the way. Zero surprise he was given the benefit though.

Of greater concern for me, was WTF was Sanchez doing ?? Off his line, outside the box, nowhere near intercepting anything. Its yet another FFS moment from our keeper to add to the growing collection.
Agree with both your basic points relating to Webster and Sanchez. I also agree with all your subsequent posts, which amounts to:
-- it was a shove by Haaland on Webster, which constitutes a foul (to add, it's defying the laws of physics to expect Webster to stay on his feet in such a situation)
-- Sanchez miscalculated and left himself in no-man's land. It's not the first time this has been done.
I do also agree with Swanny's basic point that it was risky leaving the rapid Haaland with half the pitch against our CBs, especially when the only one of these who has the pace to even keep up with Haaland is Webster.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here