Votes: 92 60.9%
  • No

Votes: 59 39.1%

• Total voters

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
He'd have got no grief from me. Dunk / Webster should have been capable of cleaning up that long ball without Sanchez getting involved, or at least holding things up. There was no need for Sanchez to come charging off his line, he just confused things and made matters worse.

I'm not saying Haaland wouldn't have scored had he stayed on his line, but he would at least have had someone else to beat. It was a big misjudgement on his part that led to a simple finish.
Maybe he wouldn't get grief from you no but he'd hear it from the GK coach after the game.

You teach keepers very early today that they need to leave their goal line to intercept balls and to cut off angles for the opponent.

Sanchez saw the long ball from their goalie, he saw the sprint duel between Dunk and Haaland and thought "ok so ye either I go out here and try to get to the ball before Haaland, or Haaland will have a one on one with me glued to the line and he'll score a 100% of his chances in that position". He decided - like any profssional keeper would IMO - to leave his line and try to deal with it, but misjudged it.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Maybe he wouldn't get grief from you no but he'd hear it from the GK coach after the game.

You teach keepers very early today that they need to leave their goal line to intercept balls and to cut off angles for the opponent.

Sanchez saw the long ball from their goalie, he saw the sprint duel between Dunk and Haaland and thought "ok so ye either I go out here and try to get to the ball before Haaland, or Haaland will have a one on one with me glued to the line and he'll score a 100% of his chances in that position". He decided - like any profssional keeper would IMO - to leave his line and try to deal with it, but misjudged it.

That is just terrible judgement IMO. He was miles away from getting there and dealing with it. He pretty much ran straight past. Haaland still had to control it, Webster was there (albeit subsequently shoved off like a rag doll). IMO it was piss-poor judgement to come out and try to intercept that. The trajectory of the ball meant heading it wasn't going to be an option, so he'd have had to go into a tackle and who knows what that could've ended up in.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-10-23 12.06.01.png
    Screenshot 2022-10-23 12.06.01.png
    368.1 KB · Views: 30

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That is just terrible judgement IMO. He was miles away from getting there and dealing with it. He pretty much ran straight past. Haaland still had to control it, Webster was there (albeit subsequently shoved off like a rag doll). IMO it was piss-poor judgement to come out and try to intercept that. The trajectory of the ball meant heading it wasn't going to be an option, so he'd have had to go into a tackle and who knows what that could've ended up in.
Every keeper who comes off his line makes a f*** up now and again and it looks terrible. However give me that over Ryan rooted to his line, I remember Bruce Grobelaar doing the same thing occasionally and he was a quality keeper. Sanchez is getting too much shit over this imo, he gets more than he loses.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003

Goalkeepers are trained to come off their goal-line to narrow the angle, they are not trained to charge out of their area like a headless chicken. If Sanchez had stayed in his box he's got a chance to save it in a one on one, if he doesn't make a save no one blames him as the odds favour the striker. If he comes charging out of his area and misses the ball he's leaving an open goal and is, in this case partly, to blame for the goal being conceded.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Every keeper who comes off his line makes a f*** up now and again and it looks terrible. However give me that over Ryan rooted to his line, I remember Bruce Grobelaar doing the same thing occasionally and he was a quality keeper. Sanchez is getting too much shit over this imo, he gets more than he loses.
Yes, indeed they do. I'm just pushing back on the notion that he'd done the right thing. He didn't - he made a huge misjudgement, and left an open goal for the best striker in the world.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, indeed they do. I'm just pushing back on the notion that he'd done the right thing. He didn't - he made a huge misjudgement, and left an open goal for the best striker in the world.
Did you see the curl on the ball from Alisson? He’d have to had a mathematicians brain to have judged his interception correctly. He could have just stood on his line of course and it would probably have been a goal whatever he did. Anyway Haaland fouled Webster so the goal shouldn’t have stood anyway….imo

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
None of the defending was great, but to see your last line of defence zooming out past the player and the ball to leave an open goal behind him - that ain't too clever. He completely misjudged it. Had he stayed on his line he might have had a chance of a block or a smother. Instead Haaland was left with his easiest finish of the season.
Exactly this! As long as Webster (and Dunk to a degree, if Webby had stayed up) had a chance of keeping Haaland out wide for a few secs then Sanchez shouldn't have come out further than the 6 yard box. Poor judgement from him. Haaland was at quite an angle when he 'won' the ball from Webster...at that point Sanchez would have had the chance to advance toward him to narrow the angle further.
Yes, poor defence set up all round, but compounded by Sanchez's rush of blood.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Goalkeepers are trained to come off their goal-line to narrow the angle, they are not trained to charge out of their area like a headless chicken. If Sanchez had stayed in his box he's got a chance to save it in a one on one, if he doesn't make a save no one blames him as the odds favour the striker. If he comes charging out of his area and misses the ball he's leaving an open goal and is, in this case partly, to blame for the goal being conceded.
Look at Allisson, Neuer etc. Any time there is a long ball going over their high backline, they'll be out there to intercept the ball. Here's some "headless chicken" goalkeeping:

Does it work every time? No. But it gives you a better chance than a one on one where the opponent got the entire goal (bar the small part covered by a goalie) to go for.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Very very surprised how many people are saying no and that Webster should be stronger. If you're running full pelt and a unit like Erling bloody Haaland shoves you, what exactly are you supposed to do?!
No foul, but Webster not getting grief here. Haaland just too strong. I’m not sure any Premier League defender would have fared differently.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Did you see the curl on the ball from Alisson? He’d have to had a mathematicians brain to have judged his interception correctly. He could have just stood on his line of course and it would probably have been a goal whatever he did. Anyway Haaland fouled Webster so the goal shouldn’t have stood anyway….imo
Exactly right. In which case he should have stayed back, not come charging out of his box. I'm not saying he should've been glued to his goal line, but he would have been better backing up his CBs, not rushing out straight past them.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
Look at Allisson, Neuer etc. Any time there is a long ball going over their high backline, they'll be out there to intercept the ball. Here's some "headless chicken" goalkeeping:

Does it work every time? No. But it gives you a better chance than a one on one where the opponent got the entire goal (bar the small part covered by a goalie) to go for.

A video designed to highlight them getting it right is not evidence that they are told to do it all the time or that they do. When I was playing I was told if I came out of my area I better be damn sure of getting the ball or I'm leaving an open goal. If I'm not sure stay in the box and if the defenders don't deal with it narrow down the angle and try and make yourself as big as possible to at least give yourself a chance of saving it. You've got zero chance of saving it in the Sanchez situation yesterday. It's not the first time he's done it either, Newcastle game where he got sent off immediately springs to mind.

Mr Moofo

Aug 29, 2015
Very very surprised how many people are saying no and that Webster should be stronger. If you're running full pelt and a unit like Erling bloody Haaland shoves you, what exactly are you supposed to do?!
I guess use your skill and ability , and perhaps some cunning, to take the ball off them? If you can't do that, maybe you shouldn't be a defender?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I guess use your skill and ability , and perhaps some cunning, to take the ball off them? If you can't do that, maybe you shouldn't be a defender?
The pure kinetic energy of someone even Tariq`s size running at Webster would be enough to knock him back , skill and ability are little use under those conditions . I think it was a foul pure and simple , he knew he would "Take him out" - dangerous play as well imo.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I think Webster gets knocked off balance with a fair shoulder charge, and then there is a little shove. The shove on it's own would not normally have been strong enough to send someone to the floor, and I think this is why it is a grey one.
I don't think Webster was weak, just that Haaland made the shoulder contact when Webster had his near leg off the ground, and made it strong. Only thing Webster could have done is to have made a really strong shoulder charge himself, still think he would have come off second with Haaland though.
Playing the way De Zerbi wants to, we will have to defend this type of situation frequently I think, thankfully most teams don't have a striker as physically strong as Haaland.

BrightonLoyal

Apr 1, 2020
So if the challenge was the other way round and Webster was stronger resulting in Haaland being knocked to the floor do you honestly think we’d just have played on?

This ‘not being strong enough’ talk is ridiculous, it’s a foul all day!

If Webster challenges Haaland in exactly the same way that Haaland challenges him the ref gives a free kick and probably sends him off, simple as that. Foul all day long

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A video designed to highlight them getting it right is not evidence that they are told to do it all the time or that they do. When I was playing I was told if I came out of my area I better be damn sure of getting the ball or I'm leaving an open goal. If I'm not sure stay in the box and if the defenders don't deal with it narrow down the angle and try and make yourself as big as possible to at least give yourself a chance of saving it. You've got zero chance of saving it in the Sanchez situation yesterday. It's not the first time he's done it either, Newcastle game where he got sent off immediately springs to mind.
And you became a pro footballer or..?

You're right its not the first time he has done it. I remember the Newcastle incident. I also remember dozens of times when he came out on a through ball to prevent a 1on1 on goal. You win some, you lose some.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Oct 4, 2003
And you became a pro footballer or..?

You're right its not the first time he has done it. I remember the Newcastle incident. I also remember dozens of times when he came out on a through ball to prevent a 1on1 on goal. You win some, you lose some.
Oh I’m sorry I didn’t realise you were a pro and that we had to be a professional footballer to have an opinion or talk our own experiences of training at a decent level of youth football. I guess Bozza can close down the site now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports