Films that sh*t you up as a kid

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Twilight Zone The Movie, scared the bejessus out of me, especially the girl with no mouth. and were there some crazy rabbit things somewhere?

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the wicker man

the old bill were still respected back then,to see one set alight at the time was incredible

some good came out of that film though,britt ekland :wink:

Durlston

"Southgate, you're the one!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Night Of The Living Dead.

Those zombies that rose from the gravestones were terrifying especially in black and white when I was about 10 and one of the most famous lines was said in horror history: "They're coming to get you, Barbara!" :ohmy:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Don't Look Now

Horrendous.

Don't Look Now is the only film that ever kept me awake at night... and i was in my late twenties.

Not a film, but when I was small, I used to be scared, apparently, of Andy Pandy.

And having seen the Birds when I was fairly young, I still couldn't watch it now.

Lush

Mods' Pet
There used to be this comedy called Oh Brother! on BBC 1 starring Derek Nimmo as an accident prone priest when I was little. In one episode a statue of the Virgin Mary smiles this weird inane grin at the end. i will never forget it.

My daughter used to be terrified of The Lion and the Bear in Tellytubbies.

We're not a brave family.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I am going to watch Don't look Now right now. Never seen it and it sounds ace.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Return to Oz. Th wheelies, the witch who could change heads, the rock king, and the way the scare crow looked nothing like he did in wizard of oz.

American Werewolf in london - made me terrified of lions on the underground (the scene of a werewolf attack in a tube station cuts to a lion in the zoo as david wakes up the next morning)

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
images[7].jpg

Last edited:

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Quite a few non-films f***ed me up: IT (Steven Kings 2 part special), Ghost Watch (BBC? Halloween special) and Sand Kings (an Outer Limits episode, which I've just discovered was written by George RR Martin of Game of Throne fame).

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
The Singing Ringing Tree was a bit scary .Especially when it was on at tea time. One of those tales from Eastern Europe about a prince turning into a bear, a giant fish and an evil dwarf.

But the one that gave me my first turtle head was a film called The Frozen Dead. Made about 1968, I would have seen it in the early seventies .I was about 11/12 years old.Film about the top brass of the third reich frozen until such time they could be re animated. But it was the sub plot that got me. A meddling teenage girl finds out just a little too much and is beheaded ,shaved and her separated shaven head kept alive in a box. It's the eyes that get you and the sinister sound effect every time they open the box. She just stares , full of hate . The reason this one shat me up is because I had one of those punch balls on a spring loaded stand. When I went to bed , all I could see was the silhouette of the the punch ball against my bedroom window. In my mind , all I could see where her eyes .........staring at me.

I have not seen that film since , but I have noticed the full version is on line. May just watch it again after all those years . Don't the punch ball anymore , so should be alright this time.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Yes Marxo's choice: The Night Of The Hunter is one of my favourite films, though I can't claim to have seen it in childhood (unfortunately? or fortunately!)

For me it has to be the child-catcher in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, the Wicked Witch in The Wizard Of Oz and then there's The Signalman starring Denholm Elliott, an hour long ghost story set at an isolated country station....have seen it more recently and it's ace btw.

ridda

Oct 6, 2003
BN1
Mystery and Imagination (1966–1970) Anybody remember this tv series it used to scare the shit out of me.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
There used to be this comedy called Oh Brother! on BBC 1 starring Derek Nimmo as an accident prone priest when I was little. In one episode a statue of the Virgin Mary smiles this weird inane grin at the end. i will never forget it.

My daughter used to be terrified of The Lion and the Bear in Tellytubbies.

We're not a brave family.

Hadn't expected to see Derek Nimmo appear in this thread. Given his preference for playing men of the cloth it would have been interesting to see what he would have brought to the role of the priest in the 'Exorcist'.
Totally agree with the OP about the doll in 'Trilogy of Terror'. I could add: 'Fright' with Susan George and 'Quatermass & the the Pit' and an episode of ITV's Thriller where a psychopath clicked his fingers and whistled Greensleeves as he approached each victim.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports