Films that sh*t you up as a kid

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Phantasm .... I remember a silver bowling ball thingy which would have spikes coming out if it....with a bonus of self contained Black &Decker that drilled straight in to someone's head...

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Like everyone who had a tv in their bedroom in their early teens in the 1980s, latenight films on ITV were a must, Salem's Lot being the one to remember. Mist, a vampiric boy tapping on window panes begging to be invited in, and a horribly ghoulish bloodsucker shipped into a small town with James Mason as its protector were honestly chilling features. The sort of thing to cause a youngster to be sleepless for a time, but also make them want more.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
Whatever happened to Baby Jane..Joan Crawford and Bette Davis. Have never watched it all the way through since watching it for the first time when I was about 12.

There was also a BBC play, I think it was called something like The Stone Tape or Tapes. Scared the s..t out of me. Never been reshown as far as I am aware, although I would love to watch it again to see if it really was that scary.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
Big.
The wishing machine that worked even when it was unplugged.

zoltar-300x224.jpg

The Original

Jan 25, 2010
50.83295°N 0.26815°W
Like everyone who had a tv in their bedroom in their early teens in the 1980s, latenight films on ITV were a must, Salem's Lot being the one to remember.

Absolutely this + Demons and Nightmare on Elm Street. Also, always had to leave the room for the first scene in Jaws, seeing that girl being dragged around the buoy and the bell ringing used to freak me out!

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Scream completely shit me up

Just the mask for me was terrifying!, I never really saw any old school horrors till I got a lil older, still scary stuff

The scene in I know what u did last summer, where the woman is banging on a shop door, and the woman starts walking to open and and forgets the keys and has to go back. The suspense there stopped me watching it

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I remember that, didn't it feature James Hazell? I recall in the final scene his daughter killed him for faking all the terror, or am I mixing it up with something else?

No idea, never got to the end :lolol: The moment the pipes in the bathroom started shuddering, then split open and splurted blood out all over the place, I was reaching for the off button!

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
The Night of the Hunter, when Robert Mitchum makes noises like a crow outside with Lillian Gish and the kids cowering inside... makes me shiver even now.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Michael Jackson's Thriller. It's the only thing I can remember seeing that I can remember having nightmares about.

Cue jokes about Jacko scaring kids in other ways...

JetsetJimbo

Jun 13, 2011
I must have been about four years old when my loving, kind big brothers sat me down to watch An American Werewolf in London. They then proceeded to spend most of the next five years terrifying me at will, by pretending to be changing into werewolves.

Bastards.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Not a film as such, but Grace Jones's music videos used to frighten me. SHE frightened me - still does to this day if I see a picture of her. Looks like a hybrid of Mike Tyson and the alien from the Alien Trilogy

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports