Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
There are few things that are quite as nauseating as the hacks sycophantic hysterics at a Redknapp press conference when he comes out with his home spun bullshit.

He has started to refer to spurs as "we" again rather than them

The best headline this morning was comparing him to Clough.... yes apart from the Trophies, tactics, man mangement and player spotting.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Hodgson is a PROFESSOR of the game.

I remember watching the 2010 world cup coverage and they asked the panel what they thought about the group games.

People such as Shearer and Hansen came out with in-depth analysis such as "Yeah, well they'll destroy algeria and USA are easy so England will be fine".

It then came to Roy who proceeded to go into the various altitudes of the stadiums and how they compared to the nations England were due to play. He came to the conclusion that we may tire quicker than the americans in our first match. He then reeled off a history of games where European teams have struggled to break down the african counterparts and insisted that Algeria would adopt a man-marking policy to frustrate Wayne Rooney.

He got it spot on. This of course has no real showing of how the players will take to him, but i felt it showed he is a THINKER.

Good 'ol 'arry would probably say against Germany "Alwight lads. Go out there and tackle them and then run at them. do it for england!"

Roy will give each player a specific job and will be maticulous in his planning.

He has a proven record with underdogs. We obviously in the wider context of international football are VERY good, but we always fall when we meet a big fish. Roy will work a gameplan in those situations.

You've made me a bit excited there.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You need to wake up! I've not made that as a comparison of ambition, that is a comparison of achievement. England are an average international team that don't qualify for a major tournament every decade, rarely get past the 1/4 finals if they ever get that far.

Where are these 'bloody-talented footballers'? They are the most overrated bunch in football. Gerrard, Lampard, Cole, Rooney, Terry, Ferdinand etc. we talk them up like they're world beaters, but they're not. Technically they are inferior to many other international footballers. How many Champions League or European club medals have they won between them? When it comes to playing against Europe's technical elite, how good have these 'bloody-talented' footballers been even at club level? I'll tell you how many - 3.

It's all hype. We've hyped them up beyond any reasonable level where we actually believe Ashley Cole is the best left back in the world, Terry is one of the best centre halves, Rooney is the one of the best centre forwards. It's all hype. The reality is Lampard and Gerrard are not great international players. They might have the odd good game, but they've rarely dominated games. Rooney isn't prolific, and Terry and Ferdinand are any decent forwards dream. They're good players, but not world class, Rooney perhaps could be.

The England job is almost unworkable because of this expectation. Because we think that we have the best players. It's absolute bollocks it really is.

I'd like Hodgson to take over because I feel he would get the best out of them. They need bringing down to earth, to play as a team again. The only time I ever really saw England play as a team was Euro '96. It just clicked. After the Switzerland game, they got better and better. Hoddle nearly got them to a similar place in '98, however since then, we really have been shit and gone to every tournament thinking we can win it. Got to go there with ambition and belief, but it has to be based on something more than 'we're a bloody talented group of footballers'...

You write sense, the expectation is over the top, but I feel you're swinging too far the other way. We're not as shite as you make out, just like we're not as amazing at The Sun says. The reason we think Lampard, Terry, Ferdinand, Cole, Gerrard aren't very good is not because they are talentless but because of the pigs ear every England manager of the past decade has made of organising them and managing them. Taken out of that international context these are (or were, some are past it now) exceptionally good players.

They're clearly not head and shoulders better than any other team, but they are at least equivalent to the other top teams. Spain might be exceptional now, France at the turn of the century, but our players are the equal of hollands, or germany's, or argentina's, or italy's over this period. Plus, the champions league and premier league tires everyone out, its not just England that play shit at major tournaments these days, most teams do.

Most importantly, the players have to deal with the expectation and hype whether we agree with it or not. You think Brazil's press don't pile on the hype? Surely thats a key part of the manager's job, why I am saying its not just tactics but motivation too. Some of our players have clearly frozen at that level of football, but if we are to win we have to rise to the occasion. Your last paragraph is spot on, I would just substitute the name Redknapp for Hodgson :shrug:.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Hodgson is a PROFESSOR of the game.

I remember watching the 2010 world cup coverage and they asked the panel what they thought about the group games.

People such as Shearer and Hansen came out with in-depth analysis such as "Yeah, well they'll destroy algeria and USA are easy so England will be fine".

It then came to Roy who proceeded to go into the various altitudes of the stadiums and how they compared to the nations England were due to play. He came to the conclusion that we may tire quicker than the americans in our first match. He then reeled off a history of games where European teams have struggled to break down the african counterparts and insisted that Algeria would adopt a man-marking policy to frustrate Wayne Rooney.

He got it spot on. This of course has no real showing of how the players will take to him, but i felt it showed he is a THINKER.

Good 'ol 'arry would probably say against Germany "Alwight lads. Go out there and tackle them and then run at them. do it for england!"

Roy will give each player a specific job and will be maticulous in his planning.

He has a proven record with underdogs. We obviously in the wider context of international football are VERY good, but we always fall when we meet a big fish. Roy will work a gameplan in those situations.

This could be an example of building up the hype, increasing the expectation... :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm glad the FA have seen sense and ignored the Redknapp bandwagon orchestrated by his mates in the press, Hodgson is the right man for the job and is the type we need.

100% this.

Btw, I much prefer it when you post as yourself Ernest, rather than your tired, excrutiatingly dull 'comedy' persona.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
hehe. Yeah. I usually listen to radio 5, but sometimes like a bit of rough also. :)

I remember Hans Kraay. Didn't he used to bounce up and down like zeberdee (or however it's spelt) for corners?

That's him, yes.

So what's going on with Roy then? Have we seen the White smoke from Wenbley towers yet?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
You just know the red tops are going to give him NO chance whatsoever. Whilst they were all crowing for Redknapp they've now been made to look stupid as the FA opt to go for a man with bags more experience (which is hardly unreasonable) but who isn't particularly media friendly.

They crucified him at Liverpool, despite the fact that his record was no worse than Dalglish, and they'll slaughter him no matter what as England boss which I think is a shame.

The man has managed three national sides, has been to the Euros before, knows European football very well and has a proven ability to get results without spending.

Redknapp has managed a total of four premiership sides, the same as Hodgson. But Roy has NEVER had the sort of money to splash about that Harry has. Even at Liverpool, where admittedly he disappointed, Hodgson wasn't given much to work with whilst Redknapp spunked millions on his expensive Spurs squad. Similarly Redknapp's time at Portsmouth was littered with spending. When Hodgson took Fulham to the Europa League final (further than Harry's ever got in Europe) it was seen as a triumph given that his squad was fairly small and certainly hadn't cost the sort of money that Spurs or Chelsea have done. He's not had a lot of money at West Brom either, but again he's very popular with the fans because he's seemingly got the best from what he's got.

If you ask me Hodgson is far more of a stand out candidate than Redknapp. The national side needs somebody who's tactically astute and can work with what we've got. Redknapp's most obvious strength is in his wheeler dealing, which is obviously of no use to the national side.

Good luck to him I say. I just hope he's given a fair crack of the whip before the boo boys get on his back

You just know the red tops are going to give him NO chance whatsoever. Whilst they were all crowing for Redknapp they've now been made to look stupid as the FA opt to go for a man with bags more experience (which is hardly unreasonable) but who isn't particularly media friendly.

They crucified him at Liverpool, despite the fact that his record was no worse than Dalglish, and they'll slaughter him no matter what as England boss which I think is a shame.

The man has managed three national sides, has been to the Euros before, knows European football very well and has a proven ability to get results without spending.

Redknapp has managed a total of four premiership sides, the same as Hodgson. But Roy has NEVER had the sort of money to splash about that Harry has. Even at Liverpool, where admittedly he disappointed, Hodgson wasn't given much to work with whilst Redknapp spunked millions on his expensive Spurs squad. Similarly Redknapp's time at Portsmouth was littered with spending. When Hodgson took Fulham to the Europa League final (further than Harry's ever got in Europe) it was seen as a triumph given that his squad was fairly small and certainly hadn't cost the sort of money that Spurs or Chelsea have done. He's not had a lot of money at West Brom either, but again he's very popular with the fans because he's seemingly got the best from what he's got.

If you ask me Hodgson is far more of a stand out candidate than Redknapp. The national side needs somebody who's tactically astute and can work with what we've got. Redknapp's most obvious strength is in his wheeler dealing, which is obviously of no use to the national side.

Good luck to him I say. I just hope he's given a fair crack of the whip before the boo boys get on his back

Lamb to the slaughter.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Yup.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here