Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA approach hodgson westbrom give permission to talk!!

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
1st thing I'd look for in an England manager is a proven ability to get the best out of what he's got - Rather than a proven ability to 'build a team', either through the transfer market or otherwise - On that basis I'd have to go for Hodgson every time. Their relative CVs are comparable in terms of success overall, but Hodgson' (successful) international experience must carry a lot of weight?

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Its that sort of thinking that gets everyone happy with a quarter-final appearance

You mean having someone who knows what they're doing ? Yeah, right.

I think Harry would have done a decent job if picked, but as I've said before, if I was him I wouldn't have taken it. I think Hodgson can do a good job if he's given the chance too.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
My fear is that the media will make the public turn on hodgson but my main fear is the terry, cole, lampard (uncle arry) group that seems to run any dressing room wont warm to hodgson...

Exactly. He has very little respect as it is amongst the players. The FA have just bottled it and clearly don't want to win the competition.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
my main fear is the terry, cole, lampard (uncle arry) group that seems to run any dressing room wont warm to hodgson...

There is a very simple and obvious solution to this.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Exactly. He has very little respect as it is amongst the players. The FA have just bottled it and clearly don't want to win the competition.

Yes of course, with Terry and Lampard at the heart of the team for the past 10 years, we've done so bloody well haven't we!!

Very little respect from the players, what a load of made up bollocks, where exactly have you garnered that from!?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I think Harry would have done a decent job if picked, but as I've said before, if I was him I wouldn't have taken it. I think Hodgson can do a good job if he's given the chance too.

thats about the size of it, either would do a good job. which one would do better? well we'll never know. the problem for Hodgson is some of the media will hound him now in much like the Kop took a dislike to him - he's not their man, so anything less than a final will mean calls for a change, calls for Redknapp. it will be interesting to see if the media now big up our prospective chances at the Euros, a competition most had written off, so they can then turn on Hodgson when he fails to meet their false expectations.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
if man united finished 10th and wigan finished 11th, which manager has done the better job?

I see where you're going but if you take it to extremes you end up appointing Russell Slade as England manager. At the end of the day I think that proving that you can manage big names at big clubs is important when it comes to the . Its one thing getting Switzerland to a world cup finals, or FC Twente winning the Dutch league, or Fulham to the Europa Cup final, or Wigan to 11th, it can be done by establishing an underdog never-say-die spirit with great teamwork and organisation. It should in theory be transferable to the big clubs - but Roy couldn't do it at Liverpool, McLaren couldn't do it for England. There's some kind of x-factor needed to be a big team manager, and England is most definitely a 'big team', whatever the doom-merchants on here are saying. I don't think Roy has it.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Yes of course, with Terry and Lampard at the heart of the team for the past 10 years, we've done so bloody well haven't we!!

Very little respect from the players, what a load of made up bollocks, where exactly have you garnered that from!?

From the Liverpool fallout - none of them liked playing for him.

I don't want Terry anywhere near the team but the current set of players are too big for him. I hope he proves me wrong.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
From the Liverpool fallout - none of them liked playing for him.

I don't want Terry anywhere near the team but the current set of players are too big for him. I hope he proves me wrong.

Liverpool was a poisoned chalice whoever took that job at that time. Dalglish's league record is probably worse than Hodgson's!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My problem with Hodgson is that I can't see this present crop of players responding to his management style or tactics.

The players made it clear they'd be happy with Redknapp. You could see the likes of Rooney, Lampard, Terry, Parker upping their game for England, not to mention getting performances from peripheral players he's worked with like Defoe, Crouch, Rio, Glen Johnson, Carrick. Who knows - maybe even the likes of Joe Cole might have come back into the mix?

I couldn't give a f*** about Burton, or Stuart Pearce's future. It's about time we won a tournament and I think Harry would have done a decent job.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here