Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dullest?crappiest towns you've spent time in?...

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Dull, lifeless South Eastern commmuter towns, Hemel Hempstead, Slough, Stevenage, Woking etc

Had a huge scare at dull, lifeless Slough station today. Got off the Oxford train, jumped onto the Windsor and Eton one and left my phone and glasses on the Oxford bound service. Soon as I realised scarpered back to the train and got my stuff thinking, it's going to pull out and I'll be stuck to Reading. Managed to get off with literally seconds to spare and the doors giving me a whack!

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Definitely Portsmouth for me .Spent 10 weeks there on a college course once and it was among the very worst times of my life. A vast number of Portsmouth residents take active pride in being ignorant, insular and aggressive and the town itself is dismal and bleak. Horrible place.

A close second is Erith - concrete town on the Thames where South London meets Kent. Erith is basically for people who find Woolwich and Dartford too upmarket and stimulating - the place where hopelessness goes to die.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I agree with Nibble's original post about Kings Lynn - there are some fine old buildings, parts of the town are quite attractive and the coastal scenery is different, but the atmosphere is weird and rather gloomy just like so many of the market towns across East Anglia seemingly in some form of Eastern European time warp where the native language is Lithuanian or Russian.

At least the immigrants have some sort of work ethic, a lot of the younger locals just seem to drift around drinking and smoking. I guess the foreigners are the only ones prepared to do typical local jobs (eg manual farm work) for a minimum wage. I know this isn't unique but is rather sad.

Yet there are still vacancies for skilled jobs especially offshore (wind farms are a growth industry in these parts) but most of the workers seem to fly in from Eastern Europe. A recent feature on local TV about the owner of a successful joinery business currently offering decent apprenticeships but can't seem to find local applicants who are prepared to consistently come to work on time and put in a decent shift so he is obliged to import foreign staff!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
i dont understand why ppl live in a place they dont like.........just move.....simple, move one foot after the other.

Hull is the worst place i have been stuck in, swindon is pretty grim too.

It is not that easy , the property market is at a vitual standstill. Now the kids have grown up it is time to move back down south , the downside is selling a 4 bed detached house and finding a 2 bed terrace that we can afford as cash buyers. Operation "Back To Civilization" is in progress.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Wolverhampton, the best bits are those the Luftwaffe paid attention to.
Bletchley, makes its neighbour, Milton Keynes seem interesting.
Morecambe, it's just so....nope, lost interest, sorry.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Should take the suggestions in here and turn it into a poll, like the Choccy Bar and Comedian competitions and we can find out the definitive crappest place in the UK according to NSC.

Hastings must be on any list too.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
I go to wycombe a lot and must say its a right shitehole and im surprised its not been mentioned,blackpool as been mention is a complete shite hole beyond that dreary 1 mile stretch on the seafront,also aldershot which is another regular place i go to and boy its bad.:D

twowheelsbest

Nov 1, 2009
Brighton
Not sure if Rochdale has been mentioned - went there once on a Saturday Night - nowhere to eat - even the takeaways were shut. Now I understand that MacDonalds have pulled out of the Town Centre, so that could improve matters12

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Can I add Basingstoke to my list please. Oh and Camberley. You know, there are some loverly places on our fair Isle but when I think of other places th elikes of which have been mentioned on this thread I really do Love Brighton.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Can I add Basingstoke to my list please. Oh and Camberley. You know, there are some loverly places on our fair Isle but when I think of other places th elikes of which have been mentioned on this thread I really do Love Brighton.
I go into basingstoke most weeks and find its pretty good compared to most,its simular to reading and seems to be on the way up like reading.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here