Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Door is closed on Bertin.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
you moan about the lack of quality in the team, yet here is the perfect chance to sign someone who, although over rated, is a better player than what we have

....but doesn't want to play for us, is only marginally better than what we have, and wants a VERY reasonable wage from a club that rarely pays highly.

I'd rather Scott bloody Chamberlain to be honest. Bertin's first 2 game were alright...he was SHOCKING every game since. I genuinely prefer El-abd...and he's not even a natural midfielder!

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
....but doesn't want to play for us, is only marginally better than what we have, and wants a VERY reasonable wage from a club that rarely pays highly.

I'd rather Scott bloody Chamberlain to be honest. Bertin's first 2 game were alright...he was SHOCKING every game since. I genuinely prefer El-abd...and he's not even a natural midfielder!

cullip didn't want to play for us when he was on the transfer list - i take it by that school of thought you didn't want him in the team then?

he is marginally better than the likes of hammond and reid yes - but they do different jobs. he is a lot better than el-abd, who now appears to be our only defensive central midfielder if wilkins insists on using fraser on the right

i reckon that hinshlewood would be the best to play in that defensive midfield role, but there are always going to be doubts over his fitness. it was no coincidence that with bertin and hammond partnered up in the centre of midfield, and el-abd moved to right back results picked up

the decision not to sign him is EXACTLY the same as with iwellumo - the club wants to keep its pride intact. and we all know what a huge mistake that was, given where we are now and where he is. lets hope this one doesn't turn out this way

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I might be missing something here but if we were offering decent money and a two year contract surely there is another midfielder in the country who could do the job who's name is not Bertin?? To see and read some of the teeth gnashing on here you'd think we let a Roy Keane slip through our hands

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
I might be missing something here but if we were offering decent money and a two year contract surely there is another midfielder in the country who could do the job who's name is not Bertin?? To see and read some of the teeth gnashing on here you'd think we let a Roy Keane slip through our hands

a combination of our record at bringing in players, the fact we are yet to sign a replacement when the offer expired over a month ago, and the fact he expressed an interest in joining the club are probably among the reasons why people are getting so worked up

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Yeah but we had the best spell of the season with Whing in the side.

Can't say the same about Bertin

our only other decent run of the season came with bertin in the side

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
That was for 3 games, and was followed by an especially shit run....with bertin in the side:rolleyes:

yeah, you are right - with hammond and bertin as the midfield partnership, 1 defeat in 9 games, against arguably the best side in the league in bristol city, was an especially shit run :rolleyes:

i miss worthing

Dec 1, 2006
i cant believe we havent taken bertin back, is it just me or is it totally obvious that we need a decent centre mid. bertin ticks all those boxes.

we'd look solid in the centre and have cox and jakey down the wings.
totally dissapointed now,at the end of the season my only hope was that we could retain his services.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
i cant believe we havent taken bertin back, is it just me or is it totally obvious that we need a decent centre mid. bertin ticks all those boxes.

we'd look solid in the centre and have cox and jakey down the wings.
totally dissapointed now,at the end of the season my only hope was that we could retain his services.

No, it,s not just you who thinks this.

Well as I've said on the other thread US, when we're 17th in April, Hammond is injured, El Abd is suspended and we're relying on Fraser and Mayo to keep is in the league, I hope you're all really please that we didn't sign the impolite Frenchman.

Too right - we should stop emulating clubs like Manchester United, who have refused players on MERE principals, and shown the example to the rest of the players as to who is bigger than what club and manager. Look how they dumped off a great player like Jaap Stamm?! And look, just look where it got them!

er....they have remained in the top three of the Premier league....and have won the league? Really? oh.
Well anyway, hans kraay is right, we should stop being like that and compromise.....right?

I need to go and think about this..... compromise to half-decent players out of desparation, sending message to the other lads who he might take the place of, even though he's not too bothered about BHAFC in particular....... help me here, I'm struggling......

cullip didn't want to play for us when he was on the transfer list - i take it by that school of thought you didn't want him in the team then?

he is marginally better than the likes of hammond and reid yes - but they do different jobs. he is a lot better than el-abd, who now appears to be our only defensive central midfielder if wilkins insists on using fraser on the right

i reckon that hinshlewood would be the best to play in that defensive midfield role, but there are always going to be doubts over his fitness. it was no coincidence that with bertin and hammond partnered up in the centre of midfield, and el-abd moved to right back results picked up

the decision not to sign him is EXACTLY the same as with iwellumo - the club wants to keep its pride intact. and we all know what a huge mistake that was, given where we are now and where he is. lets hope this one doesn't turn out this way

Cullip WAS sold though, wasn't he. His way out the door was slightly protracted, and probably because he was still contracted to us, and had better have got his finger out or no-one would want him, anywhere.
He got very good at berating his fellow players too, and of course we all know how his career went to the toppest top after leaving?? (not!)

That the club does exercise some kinds of principals, is what makes this club great, and why it still exists. Remember, it was sold down the river by people without principals.

NMH is right, you know that?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Man Utd can pick and choose from every player in the world. They can afford these 'principles'. We cannot.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
yeah, you are right - with hammond and bertin as the midfield partnership, 1 defeat in 9 games, against arguably the best side in the league in bristol city, was an especially shit run :rolleyes:

Hammond was our most important player last season - FACT.
Why you are questioning him, i don't know. I mearly stated that Bertin doesn't change things that much, as we still went on a poor run with him in the team.

Amd if you're going to use a run of 1 defeat in 9 games WITH Bertin in the side, may i turn the tables and point out that there was a run of only 1 win in 12 WITH Bertin in the side.

You may point out that this suggests Hammond works better with a defensive player....but as someone else has mentioned, Bertin is not the only one of them in the footballing universe!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here