Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Door is closed on Bertin.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
From the forum thread;

Apparently the contract offer we made Bertin expired on 30th June. More recently after failing to secure a deal elsewhere, a representative of Mr Bertin has approached the club asking if the deal is still available.

We have told him "No, it is not".

Now, the squad situation today is identical to what it was when we made the offer. we needed him then, and we still need him now.

To my mind we are spiteing ourselves by not shaking hands, inviting him back and moving forward. I for one am deeply dissappointed.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
He can feck right off, right decision by Wilkins and Knight, the changing room does not need someone who is here as a last resort.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
...right decision by Wilkins...

:eek:

I would love to have him back, as I don't think we will find a midfielder of his quality to bolster the ranks. However, maybe we have learned our lesson and it is important to ensure that anyone who may affect the dressing room is not welcome at the club (Knight et al).

I don't know enough about how the players feel towards Bertin to make a sound judgement as to whether it was/is the correct decision.

Don't all players check out other options before signing for us? I doubt we are always the first choice of a large proportion of players.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well as I've said on the other thread US, when we're 17th in April, Hammond is injured, El Abd is suspended and we're relying on Fraser and Mayo to keep is in the league, I hope you're all really please that we didn't sign the impolite Frenchman.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Overrated anyway.
He might have better ability, but if he doesn't want to be here then he's not going to be giving 100%. I'd rather have a grafter in the team than a half-arsed french ponce. And by the sounds of it, the rest of the team don't like him or want to play with him anyway - no point in having someone who's going to ruin team spirit, that's why the likes of Knight and Kazim-Richards are no longer with us.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
I would have him back in a heartbeat.

Unfortunately, according to an earlier thread, the other players would not accept him.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

I don't know enough about how the players feel towards Bertin to make a sound judgement as to whether it was/is the correct decision.

QUOTE]

I don't give a flying f*** what the other players think to be perfectly honest. they're proffessionals paid to do a job. Its not their place to dictate who they do it with.

Whilst Bertim was here the management team raved about how proffessional he was, so there's absolutely no suggestion he was in any way disruptive. Yes, some may feel slighted that he looked elsewhere and came 'crawling back' but they get get over it and get on with the job of winning games.

A job that will be a sight easier with Bertin in the side than not.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
Overrated anyway.
He might have better ability, but if he doesn't want to be here then he's not going to be giving 100%. I'd rather have a grafter in the team than a half-arsed french ponce. And by the sounds of it, the rest of the team don't like him or want to play with him anyway - no point in having someone who's going to ruin team spirit, that's why the likes of Knight and Kazim-Richards are no longer with us.

Yes, he was overrated but he is still better than any other option we have.

People seem to forget that Danny Cullip put in a transfer request to see what better deals he could get, yet still put in the performances we required of him.

Is that any different to what Bertin has done?

I suspect certain players don't want him back as it means one less team place available for them.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

I don't give a flying f*** what the other players think to be perfectly honest. they're proffessionals paid to do a job. Its not their place to dictate who they do it with.

Whilst Bertim was here the management team raved about how proffessional he was, so there's absolutely no suggestion he was in any way disruptive. Yes, some may feel slighted that he looked elsewhere and came 'crawling back' but they get get over it and get on with the job of winning games.

Whilst I agree that the players should look at the greater good of the team, we have seen what happens when there is unrest in the ranks.

ditchy

a man with a sound track record as a source of qua
Jul 8, 2003
brighton
I think this is a classic example of non comunication and both sides need to sit down face to face and talk , and not have it done through 3rd parties where some of the points get misrepresented

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
[

That sums up the situatuion 100% accurately.

If DK wants to be petty just offer him a contract but on slightly less wages but still offer enough for him to sign for us again, but this time on a 2 year deal so if he does leave we will earn some money out of him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He was given a deadline he chose to ignore it . f*** 'im. He wasn't that good that he should create a precedent for any other players who might feel like they want to f*** us about. Players know where they stand with the current regime, which is important imo. Taking back a pretty good but not that good player really isn't worth potentially rocking the boat on a squad who will have to get by more on team spirit than ability.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Overrated anyway.

is the correct answer

larus

I heard a rumour that he wasn't very popular with the other players. Very arrogant supposedly.

Yes, it's third hand comment, but if it's true and it affects team spirit, then we're better off without him.

Oh, BTW, I rated him and think we looked a much better team with him playing, and I would have liked him back.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
There has never been any suggestion that Bertin was disruptive or that other players 'don't like him'. the suggestion was simply that as he had basically disparaged their situation by implicitly indicating that this was not a club worth him staying at, that they would not welcome him back.

If that is the case, then they should stop being so precious and welcome him back with open arms, to help put the club back to a situation where it IS worth staying at.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
" right decision by Wilkins "

US 3/8/07

I need to have a lie down.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here