Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Door is closed on Bertin.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
We should offer him a trial and make him earn a new deal.

The players can make him a wear a pink bib, or something like that.

We need a midfielder.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
We need a midfielder

This is the bit some people are ignoring.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Is he available ? Yes.
Is he better than what we currently have ? Yes.
Can we afford him ? Yes.

Having now lost Oatway, Im afraid its a no-brainer. I dont OVERLY rate him meself, lets not forget we still absolutely stank the place out for the 2nd half of the season even with Bertin in our ranks. But he;s a competent enough player in a role we need filled, so unless Wilkins has got an alternative up his sleeve, then in effect we;re just cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
There has never been any suggestion that Bertin was disruptive or that other players 'don't like him'. the suggestion was simply that as he had basically disparaged their situation by implicitly indicating that this was not a club worth him staying at, that they would not welcome him back.

If that is the case, then they should stop being so precious and welcome him back with open arms, to help put the club back to a situation where it IS worth staying at.

Pity that it doesnt work that way.

The guy decided to disappear during the pre-season build up, no official statements, no commitment, basically saying "f*** you" to the club, then (allegedly) turns round and says, "no one else wants me...can I come back?"

If you were Dean, how would you respond?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But Simon, you're missing one fundamental point...

He doesn't WANT to be here.

The whole economy would crash if we, as a nation, only employed people that really wanted to work in their current jobs.

Can you blame a player that was NOT contracted to look elsewhere to see what was on offer?

As mentioned before Cullip and Kuipers were both on the transfer list by their own requests, seemingly they didn't want to be here?

UNLESS you meant that he really doesn't want to be here and has not requested a contract offer...?

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
But then they knuckled down and showed that they did.

Bertin hasn't done that. He has sought other clubs, and not kept the Albion appraised of his intentions. Bertin knew the deadlines, yet chose to ignore them, and in so doing ignored the club.

I don't think you can guarantee getting the best out of a player who is here reluctantly, and to be honest, against his own wishes. He said at the shirt sponsors' do that he doesn't think much of the club. So you think, 'thanks, mate - see you around...'

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
But then they knuckled down and showed that they did.

Bertin hasn't done that. He has sought other clubs, and not kept the Albion appraised of his intentions. Bertin knew the deadlines, yet chose to ignore them, and in so doing ignored the club.

I don't think you can guarantee getting the best out of a player who is here reluctantly, and to be honest, against his own wishes. He said at the shirt sponsors' do that he doesn't think much of the club. So you think, 'thanks, mate - see you around...'

Bertin hasn't had the chance to knuckle down and show us.

I don't know enough about what has been said or the contact between the club and the player/agent to make a wholesome appraisal, but from my viewpoint, I would rather have a player that can boost the team. I don't think he has burnt his bridges and we are not past the point of no return.

Did the club contact the agent? Surely it is a two-way deal.

Incidentally, when he said he didn't think much of the club, I assume you are paraphrasing. Can you expand on that?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bertin hasn\'t done that. He has sought other clubs, and not kept the Albion appraised of his intentions. Bertin knew the deadlines, yet chose to ignore them, and in so doing ignored the club.
But hes FRENCH. Show me a polite frenchman and Ill show you the unicorn I have tethered in my shed. They despise us ingleeesh peeegs, its a known fact, so I dont expect proclaimations of undying love from Bertin, or for him to french-kiss the badge.

Hes just another foreign mercenary over here to do a job and earn some dosh. Give him a short-term, bonus-related contract and lets see how he gets on. If he performs and the team does well, then he\'ll do alright by us. If he;s shite and the teams in freefall, I;ll drive him to Dover myself.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Tell him to do one as far as i'm concerned! He could very easily have kept the club informaed while he was trying to get another deal but chose not to.

I don't think too many would have been that miffed if he said 'thanks very much for the offer but i feel i can play in the chamionship, i'm gonna have a few trials but i've really enjoyed being here, if nothing comes of the trials i'd love to come back'.

Nobody at the club could feel hard done by if a player who only played a handful of games for the club wanted to try and play at the highest level he could, it's the ignorance of not keeping in contact and disregarding deadlines that pisses me off! Do one back to France Monsoiur Bertain!

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
The Club's decision seems to echo the feelings of the dressing room according to the Fans' Forum feedback so fair enough.

Interesting that we may get new faces in after 1st September (so they don't fall foul of the 2 clubs per season rule and can get a new permanent club in January if not us).

Figure that is when we will get our new midfielder and I for one am now very doubtful we will see any new faces before the big kick off.

Looks unpromising for results over the first three or four games but wait to be surprised???

Seagullible

Super Keeper
Jul 7, 2003
Tea room, The Office, Slough
Tell him to do one as far as i'm concerned! He could very easily have kept the club informaed while he was trying to get another deal but chose not to.

I don't think too many would have been that miffed if he said 'thanks very much for the offer but i feel i can play in the chamionship, i'm gonna have a few trials but i've really enjoyed being here, if nothing comes of the trials i'd love to come back'.

Nobody at the club could feel hard done by if a player who only played a handful of games for the club wanted to try and play at the highest level he could, it's the ignorance of not keeping in contact and disregarding deadlines that pisses me off! Do one back to France Monsoiur Bertain!

exactly how I feel, if he'd had the decentsy(sp) to keep the club aware of his plans I doubt there would be an issue but he went missing and then asks through a third party if he can come crawling back, sod him the arrogant tosser. Also hear his missus was a right pain in the arse to deal with when it came to sorting accommodation etc

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Whilst I'd like to see him back as he looked fairly decent if the club think it would disrupt team spirit by brining him back then I support the decision. We really need players who want to be here, Whing and Forster turned down other clubs because they want to be here, Whing never stopped talking about how great the club was when he went back to Coventry. Thats the sort of attitude I want to see from Albion players, not people who treat this club as a last resort.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I thought he was over-rated, but better by far than what we have. Wouldn,t be surprised if Dick's original offer was a good one, in order to keep him.But now, the thought of paying someone the correct amount for their talent has made Dick put his wallet back in his pocket.
We,ve almost got the falmer decision sorted, so why do we need decent players to help fill the stadium...?

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
If he's as good as some on this board are claiming, how come none of the other clubs he's been having trials at have offered him a contract?

Va te faire foutre, Bertin.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think we've done the right thing. We have to have a bit of respect for ourselves and not offer a contract to a man who has treated us, and our contract offer, with utter contempt all summer.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Let's hope the league start dishing out 'doing the right thing' points, then.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Let's hope the league start dishing out 'doing the right thing' points, then.

You are of course assuming that Bertin would play like he did for the 1st month he was here rather than the last few games. I would assume the opposite as he would only be here because no-one else wanted him so why should he be arsed when he so clearly wasn't during the time Hammond was out?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here