[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Thank you Dan and good luck. Gutsy, hard working and surprisingly skilful player. Will miss him.

This is the right sentiment any Brighton fan should be showing.

I will miss him, he has been a great servant to the club and hopefully will get a great reception next time we meet (cue gags about Championship, etc., etc.)

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
In all honesty how many on here would have thought about us selling BDB for over £10m at the start of the season, not one of us. He's only had a eun of games sue to injury and suspension. I think NUFC are getting him confused with Webster. This is a great deal for us and BDB, he will be a regular in the side with them but if he stays with us he's going to be a bench warmer with our first choice players back.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
In the Summer transfer window a £13m offer for Dan Burn would have been crazy...and totally unlikely.

I see him as not only a great bloke and good CB, but also a real asset to us in the Premier League. Like many on here I'm sad to see him go, but at the same time pleased for him that he's finacially secure and gone back to his native north, I think he probably wanted to go.

Good luck Dan

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Disappointed by this. Could dress it up with all the great business for the club, double his salary, comes from Newcastle stuff but it doesn’t stop me thinking he’s gone to a bunch of mercenaries after his best spell for the club and completely mastering Lukaku.

I’m really saddened by the lack of morals in the game as well. The only people who seem to care about this are opposition fans and the odd journo. Players, clubs and home fans couldn’t seem to care less.

I just find this whole transfer saga quite depressing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm amazed everyone thinks this is such a great deal for BHA. £13m for an experienced top 10 PL centreback who's got a good 4-5 years in him, is playing regularly, and is (was) an important member of the team, particularly with his versatility. When we don't need the money, and have got a desperate club loaded with cash by the bollocks on the other end of the line. £13m in todays market is piss.

Who could we go out and get for £13m to replace him ? Some Championship youngster with 'potential' ? Or perhaps some bloke from a midtable club in Belgium. Great.

Lamptey was way under £13m. Burn, himself, was even less. Veltman even cheaper than that. Dunk was obviously free. So, in fact – based on the published/rumours figures – the club could put together a decent PL back four, for £13m, there or thereabouts :shrug:

I think it's a great deal for BHA because:

a) There is no way anyone would've said Burn was worth £13m at the start of the season and now a club has come in for him, when he's got 18 months left on his contract an no guarantee he would sign an extension.
b) It allows one or more of the MANY other CBs at the club – either here or currently out on loan somewhere – the chance to step up and, themselves, become a 'Burn'. Bigger profile for them and potentially more money for the club (see previous example: White, B)
c) It keeps the player happy. We don't know if, when he found out about this, BDB was desperate to go to the barcodes. If he was – and now he has got his chance – that looks good on the club for him and also for other potential signings who know that the club won't stand in the way of their ambitions/dreams (to a point)
d) How do you know the club doesn't need the money? It helps balance the books and from a business point of view it's a good move (as indicated in the example above involving three players for the price of one BDB.
e) Part of Potter's philosophy is to keep the average age of the squad/team down. BDB, as an elder statesman of the 25, could potentially become a bit of an issue here so, while GP is clearly a fan, he is probably thinking of the future too, as opposed to the remainder of this season.
f) The price is fair, regardless of who is paying. BDB's performances have pushed his price up and I don't think there's any kind of 'Barcode tax' added. I do, however, think that the club would've realised that there's a chunk of the fee to go to Wigan, so that's another reason why they pushed for so much.

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
dreadful deal, but until we see the new defensive 'squad' of players and their rotation we won't know for sure. 13m is useless money unless you can do something with it.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I'm sad he's gone; when he was good (more often than not) he was very very good, and when he was bad he was (very rarely) horrid.

Aside from Ben White, I can't remember the last time we sold to a team in our division. White going was more understandable, but there's a feeling for me that selling a player we didn't have to sell and didn't particularly want to sell, foreshadows contract discussions with Trossard and Bissouma and the like. Not an opening of the floodgates necessarily, but just a pricking up of the ears that oh, we will sell our first team players.

I do understand the circumstances around BDB, but still.

BDB was coached into a decent player. We can replace him with another prospect for half the money and coach him into the frame. It's what we (apparently now) do.

As has been suggested above I fear for BDB that he may struggle at Newcastle, but he's probably doubled his salary so good luck to him.

EPL clubs sell players. It has taken a while, but now we sell players from time to time, too. So it goes.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Hypo ...... hypo ... hypo-something for sure. Hypothetical will do. Actions speak louder than words - and it's easier to claim the moral high ground when the situation doesn't apply.

I told you what i'd do. You know what to do if you don't like it.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
So, if you were a professional footballer, you’d refuse to play for the Albion if they were owned by PIF but the fans and manager really wanted you?

Yes. I'd demand a transfer. Next?

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
Shame to see him go, just look at the rubbish we have bought over the years. £13m wasn’t enough but in the end it’s up to the player, he could have said no, but he didn’t. So, he wanted to go, ok.
Trying to get a decent PL CB around 25 for £13m not easy, you can make 2 or 3 bad signings at £10m each…

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports