Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Dan Burn to Saudi FC

Amexarmadillo

Dec 22, 2021
And WHAT a job he did for us. We've now lost that versatility - a hugely underrated attribute we had down the left. Thats now gone. The stripey arabs will be benefiting from it instead of us. And they've gone and got it for buttons.

I can't remember a sale I've been more annoyed about. We've been humped.

£13m for a fourth, arguably fifth choice 29 year old CB, that is the opposite of your sentiment. Your heart is clouding your head big time.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
It’s a measure of how far we have come as a club that we now have loads of players I would be genuinely saddened to see leave. BDB was definitely among them.

Well played Mr Burn. Thanks for everything. Wishing you all the very best but also hoping for your new employers’ relegation. Sorry.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And WHAT a job he did for us. We've now lost that versatility - a hugely underrated attribute we had down the left. Thats now gone. The stripey arabs will be benefiting from it instead of us. And they've gone and got it for buttons.

I can't remember a sale I've been more annoyed about. We've been humped.

Was Ashley Barnes really out of memory range?

Jimmy Grimble

The fact that on this thread there is a split of people who thinks it’s too cheap and people who think it’s too much suggests it’s probably about the right price.

Personally I’d have liked the club to have got £15 million but part of that stems from knowing they’ve got an endless pit of money.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
For a player who's had his critics on here.
BDB is a player who can hold his head up high and say I played for the Albion.
A fantastic team player, a shame to see him go:thumbsup:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The fact that on this thread there is a split of people who thinks it’s too cheap and people who think it’s too much suggests it’s probably about the right price.

Personally I’d have liked the club to have got £15 million but part of that stems from knowing they’ve got an endless pit of money.

It is too cheap.

Player, age, skill level, can see how some might think its about right, especially if they think hes come from lower leagues and unfashionable clubs (not that it matters)......... but there is no defender in our club who is as truly versatile as Burn. He's not the best, but he is the most adaptable.

Can slot straight in at LB/LWB/CB, great aerial presence, had Lukaku in his pocket, and for all those reasons, he is worth more than 13 million to our club imho.

We just wont find, someone as accomplished, as physcial, as versatile in multiple positions, south of 30 years old who can slot into the first team for £13m.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Not sure what the big picture is on this .... we got £13 million for a player we paid £4million for and that sits well with the the development of assets policy but equally we have potentially weakened our squad by selling a player who currently is one of best performers and who has kept us in the top 10. Not sure we can be both a selling club and a top 10 club but hopefully I am very wrong on this.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It is too cheap.

Player, age, skill level, can see how some might think its about right, especially if they think hes come from lower leagues and unfashionable clubs (not that it matters)......... but there is no defender in our club who is as truly versatile as Burn. He's not the best, but he is the most adaptable.

Can slot straight in at LB/LWB/CB, great aerial presence, had Lukaku in his pocket, and for all those reasons, he is worth more than 13 million to our club imho.

We just wont find, someone as accomplished, as physcial, as versatile in multiple positions who can slot into the first team for £13m.

Price is defined by the contract length as much as anything else which is missing from your otherwise accurate summary…….….he’s probably in our books at something like £1m (amortised from purchase cost at start of contract). By the summer we’d have been lucky to get much at all for him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Price is defined by the contract length as much as anything else which is missing from your otherwise accurate summary…….….he’s probably in our books at something like £1m (amortised from purchase cost at start of contract). By the summer we’d have been lucky to get much at all for him.

Youre right dazzer of course, but if this Wigan sell on clause is also true and we're only about 11 odd net, that is still a pants deal really.

They were desperate to buy him now, they're also the richest club in the world, and he is in the best form of his time with us and gives so many options.

We could still easily have kept him till summer or demanded much more imho.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

I'd have been quite happy if we'd slapped another year or two on the table for him. We didn't NEED to sell him.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Not sure what the big picture is on this .... we got £13 million for a player we paid £4million for and that sits well with the the development of assets policy but equally we have potentially weakened our squad by selling a player who currently is one of best performers and who has kept us in the top 10. Not sure we can be both a selling club and a top 10 club but hopefully I am very wrong on this.

So long as the money is sensibly redistributed we absolutely can.

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Youre right dazzer of course, but if this Wigan sell on clause is also true and we're only about 11 odd net, that is still a pants deal really.

They were desperate to buy him now, they're also the richest club in the world, and he is in the best form of his time with us and gives so many options.

Maybe BDB really wanted to go and that massively weakened our bargaining power.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Good deal for us.

We are going to have to get used to seasoned pros being sold at their peak and I guess this is the first one of a number.

Great to create a pathway for a young CB.

I'd have said £10-12m. That's good money in my view.

Who steps in is the biggest question.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It is too cheap.

We just wont find, someone as accomplished, as physcial, as versatile in multiple positions, south of 30 years old who can slot into the first team for £13m.

Nailed.

And we didn't need to sell. If we were hovering around the bottom 3-4 and this deal was done, then I'd be going absolutely APESHIT. As it is, I'm just irked and annoyed.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I'd have been quite happy if we'd slapped another year or two on the table for him. We didn't NEED to sell him.

Suggest you both ask Tony for a game of poker……you’ll be quids in :thumbsup:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Tony Bloom has always said that he won't stand in a player's way if a bidding club meets his valuation. BDB's valuation may seem low, but we have to presume that it is impacted by his age, the time left on his contract and what the club think it would cost to replace him in the squad. Left footed centre back Haydon Roberts has been on the bench all season without playing. He has also played left back. I suspect that he won't now go out on loan. The club has Van Hecke and Clarke on loan in the Championship and two age range Belgian International centre backs in the U23s. I would imagine that this bigger picture stuff would have contributed to the club's valuation of Burn. I would also guess that the fact that contract negotiations are imminent for other, more financially valuable, squad members may also impact things. Selling Dan now evidences to others that the club will not stop squad members from moving if valuations are met.

The business model is about developing players and trying to sell them on when they reach their peak value. The club has obviously decided that C£13m is BDB's peak value. That value may seem low in isolation, but if the club feels that, for instance, giving 19 year old Roberts more opportunity to prove himself as potentially of greater value and more reason to sign another contract (his current deal ends the same time as Dan's), that could be reducing the level at which the club will deal for Dan Burn.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
@%1;
Perhaps DB wasn’t interested in another year or two?

This. Judging by the very low starting bids Burn's intentions were probably pretty clear from the start. He wanted the move, we likely wanted to keep him but wouldn't go near what Newcastle would offer. And this came at a time when we could still get a fair wedge.

There's also the possibility that after one great season at 29 under one the best coaches in the prem, he could struggle.

Average to good deal imo.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Tony Bloom has always said that he won't stand in a player's way if a bidding club meets his valuation. BDB's valuation may seem low, but we have to presume that it is impacted by his age, the time left on his contract and what the club think it would cost to replace him in the squad. Left footed centre back Haydon Roberts has been on the bench all season without playing. He has also played left back. I suspect that he won't now go out on loan. The club has Van Hecke and Clarke on loan in the Championship and two age range Belgian International centre backs in the U23s. I would imagine that this bigger picture stuff would have contributed to the club's valuation of Burn. I would also guess that the fact that contract negotiations are imminent for other, more financially valuable, squad members may also impact things. Selling Dan now evidences to others that the club will not stop squad members from moving if valuations are met.

The business model is about developing players and trying to sell them on when they reach their peak value. The club has obviously decided that C£13m is BDB's peak value. That value may seem low in isolation, but if the club feels that, for instance, giving 19 year old Roberts more opportunity to prove himself as potentially of greater value and more reason to sign another contract (his current deal ends the same time as Dan's), that could be reducing the level at which the club will deal for Dan Burn.

You're far to sensible and considered.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021

But TB wants his younger investments to progress and make him more £££. You aren't understanding the strategy. This has always been the plan and CB was a position that was deliberately targeted as a future cash cow.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here