Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring Dean Wilkins Back

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
no thanks, went missing at vital times during the season and was pig headed with that poxy diamond. 7th masks a lot of really bad things that season. We were never really in with a play off shout

cheesy77

Feb 18, 2009
i don't know how we finished 7th under wilkins, we played some dire football that season. i remember one game in particular at withdean when we lost 3-2 to port vale. they were bottom of the league by a country mile and they battered us. i seem to recall them hitting the woodwork about 10 times, and it actually becoming comical. also the crowds under wilkins were probably the lowest throughout our time at withdean because we played such boring football.

i don't know how we finished 7th under wilkins, we played some dire football that season. i remember one game in particular at withdean when we lost 3-2 to port vale. they were bottom of the league by a country mile and they battered us. i seem to recall them hitting the woodwork about 10 times, and it actually becoming comical. also the crowds under wilkins were probably the lowest throughout our time at withdean because we played such boring football.

We also battered at teams in games we should have won by country miles, but ended up scraping draws. So, IF we had had a couple of better players and no controversy that season, we could easily have made the playoffs and not dropped the silly points that prevented that.
In actuality, we were better than 7th except for 2 better players - and played better football than you seem to suggest.

Two seasons later, DW looks like a genius on that crap budget, and with such a thin ice to skate on with the board.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
i don't know how we finished 7th under wilkins,

Because we won football matches!

Not forgetting we picked up points away at places like Leeds and Forest.

People can't seriously STILL preach on about the way we played our football under Wilkins! Are you telling me that it was more exciting to watch Micky Adams side last year? Or Slade's team this season? Not a chance! The only decent spell of football we have had since Wilkins was sacked, was the great escape at the end of last season, and that's it!

Locky

Oct 2, 2003
Brighton
We also battered at teams in games we should have won by country miles, but ended up scraping draws. So, IF we had had a couple of better players and no controversy that season, we could easily have made the playoffs and not dropped the silly points that prevented that.
In actuality, we were better than 7th except for 2 better players - and played better football than you seem to suggest.

Two seasons later, DW looks like a genius on that crap budget, and with such a thin ice to skate on with the board.

totally agree, and would add that if Knight hadnt ripped Wilkins team apart at Xmas we would have comfortably made the play offs.
It took us the whole of January to recover.

J-Scott

Mar 9, 2009
I liked Wilkins and thought he did well, but i dont think he is the right man for the job, it would be great if he came back as the assistant manager/coach, but chances are he wont.

I don't believe you can hire someone purely based on loyalty, as i think most managers that go to a new club have the same level of commitment and there are better candidates out there.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
symyjym is a pillock.

He's also either Deano's son (if he's got one) or daughter, some other relative, Ray 'Butch' Wilkins or Deano himself. There's something suspicious about the timing of the arrival of 'our' symyjym on NSC with all this uncertainly surrounding the coaching staff/Managerial position.

symyjym REVEAL yourself!

Mr Blunt

Apr 21, 2008
Brighton

Wilkins did have a budget to work with.

We spent £300,000 on one player (Murray)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here