Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring Dean Wilkins Back

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Wendy upset some of the senior players because he was allegedly on a bonus for every former youth player who played in the first team.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Should never have promoted him in the first place, he was clearly very good at what he did with the Youth Team. Shame he is not still doing it.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Wendy upset some of the senior players because he was allegedly on a bonus for every former youth player who played in the first team.

It just seems that maybe it was just an excuse for the senior players to moan about this issue rather than play better themselves. Deano was preparing for the future and those "senior players" would not have been part of the Falmer experience anyway. Many clubs survive just on bringing players through and selling them on. That is the industry of the lower league clubs.

Its that, not being able to see the woods for the trees problem. Deano had his plan but was obviously not understood short term.

Me thinks anway!

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Which I'd imagine is a far from unusual clause in a contract these days.

The one that always worries me is the percentage from player sales. Seems like a conflict of interest to me.

Hard to think of another line of work where there is a financial incentive to get rid of your staff built into the contract.

( Apart from Human Resources :) )

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Given that about 10 players from his youth team had been given contracts, it seemed a logical decision to have him as manager when McGhee was sacked. He did pretty well over the next season and a half with a nucleus of young players he knew well. However it seems he was a bit of a twat towards some of the senior pros (Harty ( the player) alluded to this when he made his farewell Albion post on here before he was brought back again by Adams) so seeing as most of his youth team have moved on or backwards it would seem a pretty shit idea to bring him back now. We may never know what went on but it seems there is no smoke without fire and it would be a HUGE gamble to bring him back and not one worth taking imo.

Is that a good enough explanation...from my viewpoint anyway?

Thanks I see what you are saying but I dont see any of those senior players playing in the Premireship. The senior pros were more like hard working Sunday League players and not really the cream of the crop. I am not sure that they where qualified to judge Dean. Micky Adams couldnt work with them.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I think what we have to remember about Wilkin's sacking is that only one member of the board (which included Bloom) voted against his sacking. That was Martin Perry.

Given Bloom did not oppose the sacking of Wilkins, I doubt that he would have him on his radar as a potential new manager.

From what I understand, Perry was not against the decision to remove Wilkins but WAS against the decision to replace him with Adams.

Given that about 10 players from his youth team had been given contracts, it seemed a logical decision to have him as manager when McGhee was sacked. He did pretty well over the next season and a half with a nucleus of young players he knew well. However it seems he was a bit of a twat towards some of the senior pros (Harty ( the player) alluded to this when he made his farewell Albion post on here before he was brought back again by Adams) so seeing as most of his youth team have moved on or backwards it would seem a pretty shit idea to bring him back now. We may never know what went on but it seems there is no smoke without fire and it would be a HUGE gamble to bring him back and not one worth taking imo.

Is that a good enough explanation...from my viewpoint anyway?

But..... what would a DEPARTING player allude to, without a hint of bitterness after having their contract not renewed? There's a politic involved that negates Gary Hart's opinion, for me.
Plus, maybe DW had ideas for who to adequately replace Hart with? Something we can never know.

I have my own feelings about Dean Wilkins and that situation - and that is that he promised the players things that the board weren't prepared to deliver, thus upsetting some players' outlook towards the club (Savage and O'Callaghan not being youth players had no affinity for the club especially, and were the first to actively show their discontent).

To my mind, Wilkins was the most 'natural' manager this club has had since Brian Horton - and the return of Adams only served to underline that.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
But..... what would a DEPARTING player allude to, without a hint of bitterness after having their contract not renewed? There's a politic involved that negates Gary Hart's opinion, for me.

But have you read the thread? It was a while since I read it but it seemed to me he was just thanking the fans fro their support and giving his take on how things had not really worked out for him, not sure he even had a dig. As I say it was while ago I could be wrong.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I have my own feelings about Dean Wilkins and that situation - and that is that he promised the players things that the board weren't prepared to deliver, thus upsetting some players' outlook towards the club (Savage and O'Callaghan not being youth players had no affinity for the club especially, and were the first to actively show their discontent).

To my mind, Wilkins was the most 'natural' manager this club has had since Brian Horton - and the return of Adams only served to underline that.

I completely agree and I also liked the Chelsea conection with his Bro Ray, can you imagine the quality of loan players we could have had nearer to Falmer completion.

Last edited:

I think what we have to remember about Wilkin's sacking is that only one member of the board (which included Bloom) voted against his sacking. That was Martin Perry.

Given Bloom did not oppose the sacking of Wilkins, I doubt that he would have him on his radar as a potential new manager.

Ray Bloom, not Tony.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Has this one not been done to death? Christ, we've had two managers since then - can we not just move on?

Exactly the point, since we stabbed ourselves in the foot by sacking DW we have had two managers and we havn't moved on?

Dean Wilkins is the sort of guy that if he was doing badly, he would step down for the good of the club. Any other manager would drag out a sacking for the sake of his pocket. It frightens me who we will bring in next "Denis Wise" OMG
:lolol:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Exactly the point, since we stabbed ourselves in the foot by sacking DW we have had two managers and we havn't moved on?

Dean Wilkins is the sort of guy that if he was doing badly, he would step down for the good of the club. Any other manager would drag out a sacking for the sake of his pocket. It frightens me who we will bring in next "Denis Wise" OMG
:lolol:
I think the thing is we've done it to death on here. There were quite a few of us who thought the sacking of Wilkins was a crass, ill-considered move - and then to compound it with the backward step of by re-appointing Adams was stupidity almost beyond belief.

Obviously our views have been vindicated (for all the good it's done anybody), and with the failure of Slade I think people are looking back at Wilkins's departure and thinking that that was moment when the wheels first came off.

However rightly or wrongly it REALLY is all in the past now, time for everybody to move on and yes I do often wonder what might have been.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
To have him back as an assistant to Coppell or Curbishley would be dreamworld for me. The man is a genius coach and his loss explains the last season and a half. Worse thing Dick Knight ever did.

However undoubtedly being mentored by Coppell or Curbs would help Deano.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I'd have Wilkins back in a heartbeat. I'm not sure in which capacity he would fit in these days, but this club is worse without his services.

Will not happen of course because of the way the club treated him last time round.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I think the thing is we've done it to death on here. There were quite a few of us who thought the sacking of Wilkins was a crass, ill-considered move - and then to compound it with the backward step of by re-appointing Adams was stupidity almost beyond belief.

Obviously our views have been vindicated (for all the good it's done anybody), and with the failure of Slade I think people are looking back at Wilkins's departure and thinking that that was moment when the wheels first came off.

However rightly or wrongly it REALLY is all in the past now, time for everybody to move on and yes I do often wonder what might have been.

Sorry guys for doing it to death but I wasnt on the forum when Dean Wilkins was fired so I dont know the effect it had in the NSC community.

All I do know is it would take a real man to apologise and ask him back but I fear that there maybe no real men at the club. This happened at Portsmouth with Harry and they did the right thing in the end so never say never.

If there is a chance to right that wrong I would start to regain my faith in the club and more importantly its future.

On a personal level BHA have to earn respect from me and I am far from impressed because when we get to Falmer we will probably have the best stadium in the Conference.

Its hard to be symathetic if it this happens!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Sorry guys for doing it to death but I wasnt on the forum when Dean Wilkins was fired so I dont know the effect it had in the NSC community.

Oh it wasn't just when he was sacked. We did it all through the close season, a brief pause as we got good results for Adams's first few games, and then we did it with ever-increasing ferocity throughout the rest of Adams' tenure and whilst we were waiting for Slade. It cropped up periodically during Slade's reign, then just when we thought we'd finished it it all flared up again last week - and this was BEFORE Slade was sacked!

So a lot of people are sick to the back teeth with discussing the subject, hence the somewhat abrupt initial replies you got.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here