Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring Dean Wilkins Back

D

Deleted member 2719

Wilkins would definitely have been a quality manager it's just a shame DK binned him and convinced the "Sheep fans" to believe that was only a quality coach and never a manager and for that alone Knight has lost my respect because that simply wasn't true.

Yes why wouldn't we want an Albion man that had quality written all over him back.

Don't get me started.....:tantrum:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Wilkins would definitely have been a quality manager it's just a shame DK binned him and convinced the "Sheep fans" to believe that was only a quality coach and never a manager and for that alone Knight has lost my respect because that simply wasn't true.

Yes why wouldn't we want an Albion man that had quality written all over him back.

Don't get me started.....:tantrum:

It is funny how people are automatically "Sheep fans" if they disagree with you. Of course they may actually know the truth whereas you are being the sheep and listening to what you want to hear. Just a thought.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Wilkins was a decent enough coach but in the year that he was manager we played some of the most dire, awful, BORING football that I have seen for many a long year.
Yes he was treated badly by Dick Knight and we'll probably never know the whole reason why but that's no reason to bring him back (if he would come that is)

D

Deleted member 2719

It is funny how people are automatically "Sheep fans" if they disagree with you. Of course they may actually know the truth whereas you are being the sheep and listening to what you want to hear. Just a thought.

Finchley even in hindsight you cannot see what a blunder DK made when sacking Wilkins - Dk has done some good things in his earlier years - i can swing both ways you know, you seem unable to.

:love:

Go on admit it Knight cocked up Wilkins was a GOOD Manager.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

He certainly had his moments and was probably the ideal manager for so many youth players in the squad. I could never make my mind up how good he was, as matches like Port vale at home and Southend away stick in my mind...however he could not have been as bad as Adams last season. DK's biggest blunder imo.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Finchley even in hindsight you cannot see what a blunder DK made when sacking Wilkins - Dk has done some good things in his earlier years - i can swing both ways you know, you seem unable to.

:love:

To be honest, I would agree appointing Adams was a blunder. I still don't think sacking Wilkins was necessarily. I was never convinced that he was that good a manager. As everyone says, great coach but unconvincing manager.

The big question is, what is Wilkins doing now? Is he a first team manager or coach? I think that answers the question really. Possibly the biggest mistake was making him manager so we lost him as coach for good.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
To be honest, I would agree appointing Adams was a blunder. I still don't think sacking Wilkins was necessarily. I was never convinced that he was that good a manager. As everyone says, great coach but unconvincing manager.

The big question is, what is Wilkins doing now? Is he a first team manager or coach? I think that answers the question really. Possibly the biggest mistake was making him manager so we lost him as coach for good.

He is Assistant Manager ............

oh ah stantona

Oct 19, 2008
yawn yawn....in his first wilkins nearly took us down in the 2nd season we finished 7th but he missed alot of games with astress related illness...not up to being a number one...great coach not a manager...move on people

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
yawn yawn....in his first wilkins nearly took us down in the 2nd season we finished 7th but he missed alot of games with astress related illness...not up to being a number one...great coach not a manager...move on people

Wouldnt you be stressed trying to manage a club in Brighton's position with no money, no ground and no support from the Board or "senior players". DW did a great job or the club in terms of setting up the foundation for the future. Obviously not appreciated everyone!

He had big plans for the footballing side of the club whilst the Board had none. As I said before many couldnt see the wood for the trees.

We are a lower league club and if we think that getting any other manager in will make us suddenly play like Brazil we would be fools. The fact is it will be many years before we play an exciting style of football whoever takes on the job.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Jason Dodd has just quit Aldershot to return to the Saints ina coaching role, perhaps Wilkins is on his way out.

D

Deleted member 2719

Like i said DK didn't really give Dean a great CV by saying "your sacked as manager but you can be our coach" i mean that was just Knight be a C*nt of the highest order and because all the "i believe everything that Dick says gang" now have labelled Dean as only a coach, that why i hate "Sheep" they have no mind of there own.

For Dean to get a managers job straight away with just a couple of seasons under his belt in the third tier was always going to be difficult let's face it there are a lot of "big name" managers ie the Roy Keanes of this world who are always going to make it difficult for lesser known coaches even if they are shit there name is still Roy Keane.

I just hope the guy can back into the hotseat somewhere one day but with only maybe 40 odd jobs available it will need someone to take a punt on him.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Like i said DK didn't really give Dean a great CV by saying "your sacked as manager but you can be our coach" i mean that was just Knight be a C*nt of the highest order and because all the "i believe everything that Dick says gang" now have labelled Dean as only a coach, that why i hate "Sheep" they have no mind of there own.

For Dean to get a managers job straight away with just a couple of seasons under his belt in the third tier was always going to be difficult let's face it there are a lot of "big name" managers ie the Roy Keanes of this world who are always going to make it difficult for lesser known coaches even if they are shit there name is still Roy Keane.

I just hope the guy can back into the hotseat somewhere one day but with only maybe 40 odd jobs available it will need someone to take a punt on him.

I don't label him only a coach. I label him shit.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
I don't label him only a coach. I label him shit.

That is a completely unfair statement!
Deonos job was to keep us a league status and bring through young players with no money until we got to Falmer. He did exactly that and I expected no more. If you want attractive football watch Match of the Day coz any manager will struggle with this club. :lolol:

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Wouldnt you be stressed trying to manage a club in Brighton's position with no money, no ground and no support from the Board or "senior players".

But why did DW have no support from 'senior players'? Perhaps the man managerment skills he developed with the youth team were inappropriate when dealing with grown ups?

As for no support from the board, where did the £300k for Murray, and £100k plus for Thompson and Dixon come from, as well as the cash for the loan signings of Racon and Westlake that made a big difference to the second half of our season, if not the board?

DW did a great job or the club in terms of setting up the foundation for the future. Obviously not appreciated everyone!

I have no problem with him, but the endless lauding of his talents and rewriting of history is a little tiresome. His record was average as manager, Won 36 Lost 36, hardly the second coming, but nothing to be embarrassed about either.

As for the foundation for the future, the jury is out, he has done well with the likes of Virgo, Harding, El Abd, Elphick, Cox etc IMO, but they have probably found their level as third/fourth division footballers, and have not progressed any further when given more demanding challenges at other clubs.

He had big plans for the footballing side of the club whilst the Board had none.

If the board put Falmer first, then I personally am with them, you need a foundation in terms of resources and facilities, so I think your argument is nonsense.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here