Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bring Dean Wilkins Back

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
But why did DW have no support from 'senior players'? Perhaps the man managerment skills he developed with the youth team were inappropriate when dealing with grown ups?

As for no support from the board, where did the £300k for Murray, and £100k plus for Thompson and Dixon come from, as well as the cash for the loan signings of Racon and Westlake that made a big difference to the second half of our season, if not the board?

I have no problem with him, but the endless lauding of his talents and rewriting of history is a little tiresome. His record was average as manager, Won 36 Lost 36, hardly the second coming, but nothing to be embarrassed about either.

As for the foundation for the future, the jury is out, he has done well with the likes of Virgo, Harding, El Abd, Elphick, Cox etc IMO, but they have probably found their level as third/fourth division footballers, and have not progressed any further when given more demanding challenges at other clubs.

If the board put Falmer first, then I personally am with them, you need a foundation in terms of resources and facilities, so I think your argument is nonsense.

At least two of those players are rumoured to have been signed behind his back....

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
If the board put Falmer first, then I personally am with them, you need a foundation in terms of resources and facilities, so I think your argument is nonsense.

Its not about putting Falmer first its about about staying in the league as well.

Both are equal, no point having the best Stadium in the Conference. "Doh"

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Its not about putting Falmer first its about about staying in the league as well.

Both are equal, no point having the best Stadium in the Conference. "Doh"

A team heading for the Conference would not have spent all that money on players though, so your argument has little merit.

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
But why did DW have no support from 'senior players'? Perhaps the man managerment skills he developed with the youth team were inappropriate when dealing with grown ups?

As for no support from the board, where did the £300k for Murray, and £100k plus for Thompson and Dixon come from, as well as the cash for the loan signings of Racon and Westlake that made a big difference to the second half of our season, if not the board?

Did we also make money from Hammond and Revell ? wasn't it about £250,000 for Hammond and £150,000 for revell oh and £35,000 for Elder - I think Dick probably made money over the January period - i'm sure he wasn't out of pocket

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

Did we also make money from Hammond and Revell ? wasn't it about £250,000 for Hammond and £150,000 for revell oh and £35,000 for Elder - I think Dick probably made money over the January period - i'm sure he wasn't out of pocket

Errr.........if you look at the accounts, you will see that we lost £3million that year, so we were out of pocket.

Like most small clubs we rely on transfer income to balance the books, McGhee did it to the tune of making a £2.5million profit for the club.......and was then sacked for his efforts.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
At least two of those players are rumoured to have been signed behind his back....
I think Glenn Murray suffered from not being Bas Savage and Steve Thompson suffered from not being Dean Hammond.

Thompson is now playing the the scottish premier league whilst Dean Hammond who turned down being our highest ever paid player which a certain former Albion manager and the player didn't feel was good enough is now plying his trade in the same division as us and is coached once again by that same former manager.

He may well have been proved right about Murray though :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here