Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's women's team - what's going on

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
In order to sack two BAME coaches you have to first employ two BAME coaches! Know of any other club that has appointed BAME managers for both their mens and womens teams? I'm pretty certain there isn't one.
Guess again. Burnley have Vincent Kompany and Jonathan Morgan currently in charge of the men and women respectively.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
£675 a week !!
I would not get out of bed for that anymore.
women.jpeg

Head count against wages suggests it's a lot higher

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
She’s gone

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
It's a mixed picture for sure.

To their credit, the numbers through the turnstiles at Crawley have increased. At the end of the Euros, the talk was always going to be about keeping up the momentum and riding the wave of interest. 2,514 through the gates on Sunday is some evidence of that. So that's the good news, for now at least. And if increased attendances lead to more girls taking up the game, that can only be a good thing and should be welcomed wholeheartedly.

But it's clear to see from the financial info above that increased attendances still won't have a significant enough rise in domestic attendance figures to offset expenditure. Clubs are caught between a rock and a hard place with regards to attracting fans by either offering unsustainable dirt-cheap ticket prices (£19 season tickets to kids and senior citizens, £49 season tickets for full paying adults for 11 home games) or asking people to pay more than the perceived value of around £5-10 per game.

Attendance-wise, it's probably comparable to the 5th-6th tier of men's football, but the expenditure level is probably much higher with full-time players. It doesn't need a degree in economics to see that without the external sponsorship from Barclays, a small TV deal and continued support/bankrolling from the main club, the situation would be financially untenable.

One only has to take a cursory glance at the few interactions of upvotes/downvotes on any BBC live text feed on women's games to see the general interest level. Deluding oneself into believing a product is much bigger than what it actually is rarely helpful and has led to many business going to the wall through over-speculating. Despite the figures, there still seems to be a hint of not willing to discuss the elephant in the room when it comes down to addressing sustainability. As a general rule, ignoring financial problems doesn't tend to make them go away. But if Tony's still happy to keep paying the bills regardless, then there's little room for criticism.

As for Hope Powell, her dictatorial managerial style has always been known. Lianne Sanderson retired from international football at 22 because of her. She wasn't the only player to step away.

"When Hope Powell's dismissal as manager of the England women's team was announced on Wednesday there was an eerie silence from the current crop of England players. Few of their Twitter accounts even acknowledged the event. Not one expressed regret or sadness."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/aug/22/hope-powell-england-players

Red Side Of Sussex

Jul 25, 2009
Having watched my fair share or Non-League, League One and League Two games in my time, you'd have to go a long way to convince me that the WSL is an inferior standard.
Totally ridiculous comment.
Conference teams would easily beat any wsl teams ,league two and league one teams would smash the the top women's teams..The women's professional game is a far inferior standard to professional and semi professional men's football .

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Conference teams would easily beat any wsl teams ,league two and league one teams would smash the the top women's teams..The women's professional game is a far inferior standard to professional and semi professional men's football .
A boys u18 academy side would beat any woman's team in the world. Totally different game.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Having watched my fair share or Non-League, League One and League Two games in my time, you'd have to go a long way to convince me that the WSL is an inferior standard.
Sorry you're way off and I watch and enjoy a lot of women's football. They hardly tackle like any level of men's football. They would spend most of their time sitting on the turf.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Of course. That is nature.

If I spent two years actually going to the gym, I could beat the shit out of some world class female boxers.

Question is though if that makes me a superior boxer, or if nature just makes the comparison and battle utterly unfair.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Not a season ticket holder, but go about 5 times a year with the family, Crawley is the killer, it lacks atmosphere and is long way to go for a home game, said the man that went to Gillingham...

The Amex is way to big, and is a none starter it tends to benefit the opposing team when we play there.

But this is different, you are trying to get young families and girls especially, then you need to make it accessible, you don't need them to travel to a town miles away, relying on family to take them by car.
I would let my 12 year old daughter go to the Amex with friends not on her own though, for a women's game, but definitely not Crawley on the train etc.

That a side the football is ok, but there seems a lack of passion from the dugout I seldom hear instructions being shouted or even directions being given. We do have some very good prospects, letting Le Tiss go without a struggle seems to have hurt us, she was happy here as well according to her family.
Everton play at a ground that looks like Culver Road. If the club needs a venue, in the environs of Brighton & Hove, it can’t be beyond the bounds of possibility for the club to do something with the Sussex FA to upgrade that stadium for all Albion (non first team) football. Of course, the local populace might not be too happy with such a plan.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Everton play at a ground that looks like Culver Road. If the club needs a venue, in the environs of Brighton & Hove, it can’t be beyond the bounds of possibility for the club to do something with the Sussex FA to upgrade that stadium for all Albion (non first team) football. Of course, the local populace might not be too happy with such a plan.
Plastic pitch isn't it?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here