Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's women's team - what's going on

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
oh good god, this is a thread about the womens team, even if it was about the mens, you really need to give your head a wobble.

Vipernumpty.PNG

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Complete and utter waste of time and money. Why did we bother with a women's team? Are enough people interested? Obviously not. Let's face it, at club level it's not going to catch on and financially it's a no go.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Complete and utter waste of time and money. Why did we bother with a women's team? Are enough people interested? Obviously not. Let's face it, at club level it's not going to catch on and financially it's a no go.
Yep, go and support Lewes who are 100% committed?

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Hope Powell is a pioneer and legend of the women's game.

I do worry she may be a bit of a dinosaur as a manager though. Not Steve Bruce level of dinosaur. More of a Hughton. Thoroughly decent person, at least decent manager, just not top and going backwards as the game as a whole moves forwards.
A couple of people I know who write about women's football a lot can't believe she's not under threat. The word is that she's not an inspiring coach, to put it mildly.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
That's a pity. I had a feeling that may be the case, but as I watch very little women's football compared to the men's game I wouldn't wish to express it any more strongly than I did.
I can see that the optics of sacking two BAME coaches in succession could have been an issue once but the misguided if well intentioned outrage over CHs sacking seems a long time ago now.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep, go and support Lewes who are 100% committed?
Yes, Lewes have done a fantastic job with their womens team, and it's worked really well for them.

Bit what is in it for clubs like the Albion? When TB and PB sit down and look at the profit and loss accounts, what do they see? I know womens football internationals can pack out Wembley - but maybe the prices are a lot cheaper than for men's internationals. And maybe, just maybe, total anathema to PB, you can just phone up or go on line and just buy a ticket or two or three - no membership, no registration, no loyalty points - just, 'Thank you sir/madam - can I take details of your credit card and address to send you the tickets'? Do Brighton Women pack out ...... well, anywhere really?

I know Sky are plugging womens football like mad, giving it equal status to the men's game. But just how much do they contribute in terms of TV rights? Plus the American involvement in the game is growing. In the USA, women footballers are paid the same rate as men, I believe. If they bring that over here, and TB has to pay the players in the Brighton womens team £2 or £3 million a year each, how will that appeal? Investment for the future - or a drain on finances?

Strangely enough, for all Sky's championing of womens football, I've heard all about Chelsea ladies, Arsenal ladies, Manchester and Liverpool ladies, etc., etc. But not once have I heard any discussion - or even heard them mentioned - one of the top twenty teams in womens football in England. Lewes Women. I wonder why Sky just don't seem to want to know ......

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If your worried about the finances of the club, the best solution would be to shut down the men's team.
Yes, Lewes have done a fantastic job with their womens team, and it's worked really well for them.

Bit what is in it for clubs like the Albion? When TB and PB sit down and look at the profit and loss accounts, what do they see? I know womens football internationals can pack out Wembley - but maybe the prices are a lot cheaper than for men's internationals. And maybe, just maybe, total anathema to PB, you can just phone up or go on line and just buy a ticket or two or three - no membership, no registration, no loyalty points - just, 'Thank you sir/madam - can I take details of your credit card and address to send you the tickets'? Do Brighton Women pack out ...... well, anywhere really?

I know Sky are plugging womens football like mad, giving it equal status to the men's game. But just how much do they contribute in terms of TV rights? Plus the American involvement in the game is growing. In the USA, women footballers are paid the same rate as men, I believe. If they bring that over here, and TB has to pay the players in the Brighton womens team £2 or £3 million a year each, how will that appeal? Investment for the future - or a drain on finances?

Strangely enough, for all Sky's championing of womens football, I've heard all about Chelsea ladies, Arsenal ladies, Manchester and Liverpool ladies, etc., etc. But not once have I heard any discussion - or even heard them mentioned - one of the top twenty teams in womens football in England. Lewes Women. I wonder why Sky just don't seem to want to know ......
Probably that it is a piss in the ocean compared to the gigantic losses you get from having a men's team in the PL.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
:facepalm:
:ROFLMAO:

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It's obvious that she should be fired. The performance at the Reading game was rubbish and we were lucky to get the win in that game against a team with none of the resources. There was no particular plan or footballing philosophy and it was clear that Hope is an old school manager and I think the club needs to replace her. Yesterday should be the final straw.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A couple of people I know who write about women's football a lot can't believe she's not under threat. The word is that she's not an inspiring coach, to put it mildly.
I'm friends with one of her partner's Aunts. She is not very complimentary about her.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
That's a pity. I had a feeling that may be the case, but as I watch very little women's football compared to the men's game I wouldn't wish to express it any more strongly than I did.
I can see that the optics of sacking two BAME coaches in succession could have been an issue once but the misguided if well intentioned outrage over CHs sacking seems a long time ago now.
In order to sack two BAME coaches you have to first employ two BAME coaches! Know of any other club that has appointed BAME managers for both their mens and womens teams? I'm pretty certain there isn't one.

The ridiculous faux outrage when CH was waved goodbye was absolutely pathetic.

Hope has been in post for over 5 years and the team is performing badly. If we were to let her go it would be sad but perhaps understandable.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
There is no race element in wanting her fired. She's underperforming. There are certain elements of the women's game that we can't control - we are going to lose players to more "attractive" clubs because there is more prestige to the big 6 who have women's teams - so the ladies are more keen to play for a Tottenham, Man Utd, etc.

We have invested a lot into the women's team, with the dedicated training facility being the biggest. The squad deserves better, modern coaching from a manager who is better placed to get the most out of the team. The England team needed Phil Neville gone, not because he's a man but because he wasn't able to get the most from the group of players he had. Look at what Sarina Wiegmann, a top female coach, has achieved with that group of players since taking over. I don't doubt that there is more quality in our women's team than is currently showing - but we need someone with tactical nous and a style of play, rather than a coaching dinosaur who has been left behind by the modern game in much the same was that Chris Hughton was (doesn't change the fact that he's a legend who got us promoted and did a better job than just about any other Brighton manager in our entire 121 year history, fact).

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Last season wasn't great but (and admittedly I don't know much about at least half of the players signing in the summer, but still) this season it looks like Powell has a very poor squad to work with and avoiding relegation is realistically the priority.

As I mentioned somewhere I think TB is thinking about how to push the team to the next level and might not do a lot of investing before there is a clear plan how to do it in a successful way. The data approach is not going to work because in most women's leagues there's very little data being collected which is probably slightly bothersome for a math bloke like Bloom.

It is possible that perhaps TB think that the academy can more reliably produce good players than wonky scouting could at this point, but that will take a couple of years.

Sticking with Powell seems like a safety move. While results haven't been great, they also haven't been awful.

I've read a lot about Zigiotti and Kullberg since last year, especially interviews but there was also a longread article about their agent. The agent was surprised by how professional Brighton acted when recruiting them, but reading the interviews with the players I get the impression that there's some... mixed feelings. Zigiotti recently said it took a long while to get used to Hope Powells strict and straight forward approach, "she is very determined and wants it to be in a very specific way". Which is something I guess you can accept if you make millions of pounds a year but perhaps less acceptable if you earn as much as the average pleb out there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just how much does an average pleb earn ?
and what type of job do they do ?
Good questions. Can't really answer those.

I can make a qualified guess however that the average Brighton Women's player earn somewhere between £30-35k per year which is probably not a lot more than the average NSC bloke.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
We must have some regular followers of our womens team. Would be interesting to have your views.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Good questions. Can't really answer those.

I can make a qualified guess however that the average Brighton Women's player earn somewhere between £30-35k per year which is probably not a lot more than the average NSC bloke.
£675 a week !!
I would not get out of bed for that anymore.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
We must have some regular followers of our womens team. Would be interesting to have your views.
Not a season ticket holder, but go about 5 times a year with the family, Crawley is the killer, it lacks atmosphere and is long way to go for a home game, said the man that went to Gillingham...

The Amex is way to big, and is a none starter it tends to benefit the opposing team when we play there.

But this is different, you are trying to get young families and girls especially, then you need to make it accessible, you don't need them to travel to a town miles away, relying on family to take them by car.
I would let my 12 year old daughter go to the Amex with friends not on her own though, for a women's game, but definitely not Crawley on the train etc.

That a side the football is ok, but there seems a lack of passion from the dugout I seldom hear instructions being shouted or even directions being given. We do have some very good prospects, letting Le Tiss go without a struggle seems to have hurt us, she was happy here as well according to her family.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here