Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's women's team - what's going on

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
There seem to be a lot of departures from the club - none of which appear to be announced on the club website

There are only 14 players in the first team squad on the site ... and one of those is Maya Le Tissier, who said goodbye to the club on Twitter yesterday (again, silence from the club)

Le Tissier was a nominee for the WSL Young Player of the Season, so it's not good news that she's off.

What's happpening with the team? And why the news blackout?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The news blackout certainly seems a bit weird but players leaving and arraving on free transfer isn't - 87% of all transfers in professional women's football are free transfers.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
There seem to be a lot of departures from the club - none of which appear to be announced on the club website

There are only 14 players in the first team squad on the site ... and one of those is Maya Le Tissier, who said goodbye to the club on Twitter yesterday (again, silence from the club)

Le Tissier was a nominee for the WSL Young Player of the Season, so it's not good news that she's off.

What's happpening with the team? And why the news blackout?

Why on earth is Le Tissier leaving. Thought she was one of our future stars. Surely at a time Albion hoping to sell more STs on back of Englands performance club should be communicating

Coach_Carter_92

Apr 25, 2013
Home
Alot of women's deals are 1 or 2 year contracts I believe, as mentioned above there is always a lot of movement in the summer

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Why on earth is Le Tissier leaving. Thought she was one of our future stars. Surely at a time Albion hoping to sell more STs on back of Englands performance club should be communicating

I was going to ask this. There's nothing in her leaving message about why she's leaving, just that her time has come to and end.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Alot of women's deals are 1 or 2 year contracts I believe, as mentioned above there is always a lot of movement in the summer

Sure. But we've just had our best ever season, why aren't some of these contracts being renewed? And doesn't that explain the complete silence from the club

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Sure. But we've just had our best ever season, why aren't some of these contracts being renewed? And doesn't that explain the complete silence from the club

I have no knowledge at all, and know very little about the women's team and its players.

But if a decent player is coming to the end of a contract, as in the men's game, she may not want to renew - even if offered - as she will have the opportunity to move to a bigger/better club and earn more money, potentially a lot more.

phoenix

May 18, 2009
I have no knowledge at all, and know very little about the women's team and its players.

But if a decent player is coming to the end of a contract, as in the men's game, she may not want to renew - even if offered - as she will have the opportunity to move to a bigger/better club and earn more money, potentially a lot more.

https://www.theargus.co.uk/sport/20274737.maya-le-tissier-reveals-leaving-brighton/

Signed a 2 year deal last year, According to the Argus,

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It is very strange, I've commented on this before. Ellie Brazil has gone to Tottenham, Emma Koivisto has gone to Liverpool - realistically, we weren't going to be able to stop either of those things happening. But surely releasing Emily Simpkins was a mistake, if you're going to be losing a number of out of contact players why would you add to the list and give you even more signings to make?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Hasn’t this happened with Hope Powell before?
There is a relatively small pool of top class women footballers still & with only 7 or so weeks to go before the season starts we look to be in trouble

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Well yes, but surely if the club is serious about women's football, it should try to keep some more of its players ...

It is very strange, I've commented on this before. Ellie Brazil has gone to Tottenham, Emma Koivisto has gone to Liverpool - realistically, we weren't going to be able to stop either of those things happening.

... and it doesn't explain Koivisto going to Liverpool, a second tier club. And Tottenham aren't a significantly better club than the Albion.

As mentioned above, there's a lot of publicity for the women's game right now and we've benefited from the Amex being a venue. It does seem strange to dismantle a team that did well last season

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Liverpool were promoted to the Superleague last season. I hope that we're going to have a competitive squad in time for the season because it would be a real shame if the team is relegated.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They seriously need the womens team back in Brighton, as I have suggested before at a smaller venue that can hold between 2-4 thousands maybe investing in a none league ground. All the time they are playing in Crawley they are slowly dying and playing in a big stadium like the Amex simply looks shite.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

And this is even more common in womens football.

It is easy to forget there is a massive difference in the transfer market. In 2021 the GLOBAL value of transfers in the women's transfer market was less than £2m, and 87,3% of the transfers are free transfers. The players are aware, the clubs are aware, contracts are shorter and it is more the law of the jungle sort of, where players just wait out the contracts and see what is on offer, it is just the standard of doing things. This is very slowly changing but at this point you can pretty much never expect to keep a good player.

Of course this is the same for everyone so Brighton will be finding free transfer players in other markets in the same situation.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
#TeamsLikeBrighton :moo:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

I don't think the season was seen as a success really.

IIRC Brighton are aiming for top 4 in the WSL and while not achieving that atm is probably fine, I don't think ending up 16 points behind the no 4 despite doing some heavy strengthening of the squad before/during the season is seen as anything other than a (minor) failure and while there was always going to be a lot of movement (especially considering how rapidly things are happening in the women's football food chain right now) I think this probably amplified it.

There's a bunch of players the club would struggle to keep with the "big 6" and foreign giants increasingly starting to pour money into the game, but there's also a number of players the club might feel just aren't good enough. Combined it appears it will results in a major squad revamp.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
They seriously need the womens team back in Brighton, as I have suggested before at a smaller venue that can hold between 2-4 thousands maybe investing in a none league ground. All the time they are playing in Crawley they are slowly dying and playing in a big stadium like the Amex simply looks shite.

I may have mentioned this before, but I wonder if there is any scope to develop the mini ground within the training complex at Lancing ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I don't think the season was seen as a success really.

IIRC Brighton are aiming for top 4 in the WSL and while not achieving that atm is probably fine, I don't think ending up 16 points behind the no 4 despite doing some heavy strengthening of the squad before/during the season is seen as anything other than a (minor) failure and while there was always going to be a lot of movement (especially considering how rapidly things are happening in the women's football food chain right now) I think this probably amplified it.

There's a bunch of players the club would struggle to keep with the "big 6" and foreign giants increasingly starting to pour money into the game, but there's also a number of players the club might feel just aren't good enough. Combined it appears it will results in a major squad revamp.

Understand what you say but it is a long time since season ended so doesnt look like we have had players lined up

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here