Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's women's team - what's going on

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Another senior figure on the football operation side gone - seems all levels within the club are struggling with retention. She was also a trustee of Albion in the Community

[tweet]1554543664306814977[/tweet]

Last edited:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Another senior figure on the football operation side gone - seems all levels within the club are struggling with retention. She was also a trustee of Albion in the Community

[tweet]1554543664306814977[/tweet]

It does appear from the outside after Uncle Tony spent a lot of money on their training ground we haven't rushed ahead with improvements. I did mention it last season I do just wonder if Hope has run her course and a fresh management team can take us forwards.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
This on top of 3 of our best players leaving. Still think approaching the season very strange not a word from Hope Powell about these departures.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
There are only 14 players in the first team squad on the site ... and one of those is Maya Le Tissier, who said goodbye to the club on Twitter yesterday (again, silence from the club)

Le Tissier was a nominee for the WSL Young Player of the Season, so it's not good news that she's off.

Got a LOT of coverage since her debut (scoring two) for United yesterday...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62940145

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Hope Powell is a pioneer and legend of the women's game.

I do worry she may be a bit of a dinosaur as a manager though. Not Steve Bruce level of dinosaur. More of a Hughton. Thoroughly decent person, at least decent manager, just not top and going backwards as the game as a whole moves forwards.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Mental turnover of players in the squad after our best ever finish. Doesn't inspire much confidence really, feels like its very much a backwards step. I suspect relegation from the WSL is a MASSIVE blow for most women's teams, making relegation to the Championship seem trivial in comparison. Would be very odd to see the amount of work put in to promote this side of the game be hampered by comedically bad handling on the pitch with half our squad gone.

Said it in July, they let all their best players go for nothing, signed a bunch of subpar replacements and are now 3 points from the relegation zone and as I said before, I suspect this will be a BRUTAL result for the Albion if they go down. Feels like the club as a whole is just suffering from complacency all round, you can't let all these people go without replacing them with good talent and expect us to replicate results, you have to reinvest some of the money you are making otherwise it'll bite you sooner or later. I fear for the mens team when we inevitably let Leo and Moises go in January for piles of money and make no additions, I fear for this womens team right now, they're in big trouble.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Time for a change at the top. We have a top 6 budget but not the squad

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Watched us first half v Chelsea and thought we were alright - shocking result that - spurs aren’t that strong either.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Feels like the club as a whole is just suffering from complacency all round, you can't let all these people go without replacing them with good talent and expect us to replicate results, you have to reinvest some of the money you are making otherwise it'll bite you sooner or later. I fear for the mens team when we inevitably let Leo and Moises go in January for piles of money and make no additions, I fear for this womens team right now, they're in big trouble.
oh good god, this is a thread about the womens team, even if it was about the mens, you really need to give your head a wobble.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I thought WSL was supposed to be amazing? A new era, huge crowds, incredible atmosphere etc? But all I hear on radio reports is Brighton Nil, the other team with a cricket score. Is it a bit more like Rugby ie everyone goes to Internationals but club sides lucky to get more than county league? What’s going on? I thought Tony put big money a side for this? And made big investment in?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I thought WSL was supposed to be amazing? A new era, huge crowds, incredible atmosphere etc? But all I hear on radio reports is Brighton Nil, the other team with a cricket score. Is it a bit more like Rugby ie everyone goes to Internationals but club sides lucky to get more than county league? What’s going on? I thought Tony put big money a side for this? And made big investment in?
From my understanding he's spent a lot on their infrastructure. Less so in the squad it seems.

Perhaps looking for a good model for how to run the women's team and just sticking with "just-enough-to-stay-up" investments and Powell for the time being.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
From my understanding he's spent a lot on their infrastructure. Less so in the squad it seems.

Perhaps looking for a good model for how to run the women's team and just sticking with "just-enough-to-stay-up" investments and Powell for the time being.
We have our hands tied to a certain extent Swanny, we need the team back in Brighton at a venue that holds around 3-6 thousand. Crawley is a bind to get too, and the Amex is too big, my understanding from surveys sent out recently, is that the club are looking into it, that would certainly help if we moved the team back too Brighton. Sadly I think Hope has run out of time, we need to move on, I think Tony was hoping it would work out and Hope could be in charge when they finally get a permanent home in Brighton.

Last edited:

Munchkin

Jul 12, 2005
Littlehampton
Time for a change at the top. We have a top 6 budget but not the squad

Not sure that’s correct. Focus was on the infrastructure rather than player budget this season is my understanding. The clubs mindset is to recruit and develop rather than pay substantial fees.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Interviews with manager are like so many. Softly softly. She often goes on about short of numbers. Why isnt she asked why is this and more important why havent we replaced leavers with equal or better quality. At the time Carter was signed a big deal was made that first player we payed money for. Not sure she has even scored a goal for us and not even in the team now. Can one of the regular followers answer this.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
So the plan where we decided to let all the top players go and see if we could muddle through without replacing them isn't working. Funny that.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Not sure that’s correct. Focus was on the infrastructure rather than player budget this season is my understanding. The clubs mindset is to recruit and develop rather than pay substantial fees.
Wages not fees are up there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here