Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton's women's team - what's going on

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Delighted they won but have just watched highlights and am sorry that was just joke football. Goodness knows what it was like between the 9 goals

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Megan Walsh is hopeless. Utterly hopeless. She can make a good save if it's directly at her, but she's a very poor goalkeeper. The reality is that the goalkeeping standard is shocking in the women's game currently, with only a handful of reasonably competent goalkeepers.
I seem to remember this topic being addressed during the Euros and how, because women are, on average, shorter than men, there are more goals scored because the goalkeepers cannot cover as much of the goal. I think they were comparing Mendy and, possibly, Allison – who are above 6ft – with female goalies who are 5ft 7/8?

That obviously doesn't excuse all of the goals scored, but I thought it was an interesting point nonetheless.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I seem to remember this topic being addressed during the Euros and how, because women are, on average, shorter than men, there are more goals scored because the goalkeepers cannot cover as much of the goal. I think they were comparing Mendy and, possibly, Allison – who are above 6ft – with female goalies who are 5ft 7/8?

That obviously doesn't excuse all of the goals scored, but I thought it was an interesting point nonetheless.
Of course, there is a very valid argument that the women goalkeepers are the ones who are the 'correct height' for the goals, and the male ones are 'too big / tall'.

The dimensions of the goal have remained unchanged since the FA first decreed it to be 8 yards wide, in 1863, and 8 feet high in 1866.

Given that the average height of the male keepers at the time, would have been at most, in line with current female keepers, it follows that this is the 'correct' sized goal for them (and too small for the blokes).

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Women may be smaller, but they also can't kick the ball as hard so the goalie has more time to reach the ball.
Further while there may be a lack of Sanchez sized females Ryan sized isn't that unusual.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The "oh no, there's too many goals in the games" problem is a strange one.

With the odd exception, I find games that end 5-4 more entertaining than those that end 1-1.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
That was probably the most stressful game I've watched live this season. I did have a feeling they could implode at any moment, Victoria Williams was at fault for a few goals. I don't want to dig her out after a win but she was poor. The rest of the team look pretty decent, going forward we were a delight yesterday, but at the back complete chaos. At least it got my goal tally up for the season, and it was important to bounce back from the 8-0 as we are usually much better than that.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
The goals are obviously too big for the women and should be proportioned appropriately. But I'm not saying Walsh is too small, or that the others are too small. I'm saying their technically very, very poor. Most of them seem to be very chaotic, unable to move their feet and generally the standard of goalkeeping is a long way off the quality in the rest of the pitch.

It reminds me a little bit of the Chinese Super League - when they had the crazy infusion of money into that league there were players all over the world wanting the money. But because China wanted to improve the national team, they banned foreign goalkeepers so that they could develop a higher standard of goalkeeper by ensuring every team had a Chinese keeper. It was an interesting idea - but not sure it really worked. I imagine that the women goalies will get better as the training becomes more and more professional, it will take a number of years but there should be a crop of quality keepers coming through over the next decade.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
The "oh no, there's too many goals in the games" problem is a strange one.

With the odd exception, I find games that end 5-4 more entertaining than those that end 1-1.
Didnt say anything about number of goals. Although so many of the goals were a farce the goals added to what was a very poor standard game. Maybe a look at a full recording would give me a better impression

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Bad luck today. Nearly took a point from third placed Man City but they won it in the last minute.
Absolute Sucker Punch when for the majority of the game we were solidly in control. Promising performance, and I think Amy should’ve really been given the full time job in the first place. Hopefully we can get a few results together and stay up.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A shame they couldn't hold out for a point. Only conceding 2 goals is an improvement from the previous 3.5 average.

But with City having 61% possession and 25 shots with 9 of them on target, the winner was always a possibility.

Still, a similar performance against lesser teams should bring the much needed win and points.

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
Once we rode that first 10 minutes out, I thought we looked pretty good against an excellent side. Our defence was magnificent, and Walsh was outstanding if anything did get through. Deserved a point, but that performance bodes well for the rest of the season.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Such a harsh result for the team - didn't deserve to lose. Played so much better today, with much more composure and passing to each other for a change. If a few close offsides had gone our way we might even have won! Makes me more optimistic for the remaining matches which are mostly ones that we could get something from. Walsh restored to the starting line up was my player of the match as she made some great stops.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Such a harsh result for the team - didn't deserve to lose. Played so much better today, with much more composure and passing to each other for a change. If a few close offsides had gone our way we might even have won! Makes me more optimistic for the remaining matches which are mostly ones that we could get something from. Walsh restored to the starting line up was my player of the match as she made some great stops.
Was really pleased to see Walsh have a good game, felt like she was Player of the Match every weeks last season. This year she’s been awful at times, but a deserved fantastic award winning performance tonight.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Last edited:

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
The Spurs away on the 29th is at Whitehart Lane, but I can't find how to get away tickets. Am I being impatient or is it potg? I can see the ground from the end of my street and have a sizeable crowd up for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here