Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton fans - I'm starting to hate them

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
So from when we got on to the platform at South Bermondsey.

We found a spot to stand which just happened to be right near the slapper in the black. Her boyfriend seemed determined to prove his ownership of her and his heterosexuality, as they found it necesary to indulge in prolonged bouts of tonsil tennis interspersed with starting up homophobic chants. The kids were probably about 5 yards away from us quiet as you like. My friends and I were indulging in a bit of light hearted banter with a particularly neanderthal group of Millwall, these were the ones coming up with any chant that featured the words cock, arses etc, even ball bags at one point. Highlight of this section was a Millwall fan saying 'hold your arses' as they got on the train to which I replied 'that will only help us' and one of my friends saying 'I think he is coming on to you'.

Now it is worth mentioning that we had been mocking Millwall's favourite chant, the Miiiiiiiiiiiiiii one, by making a nasally, droney urrrrrrrgggghhhh sound at them, when they had been chanting homophobic shit at us. The group we were bantering with were taking it in relatively good humour and no trouble was on the horizon.

Once on the train there was still a bit of banter flying around but in the main we had got bored of it, and the Millwall boys seemed to have run out of combinations they could put the words cock, balls and arses in to. Then at some point someone started the 'uuurrrrrgggghhh' noise going again, some Millwall thought we were singing their version, so one end of the carriage started up with 'Miiiiiiiiii' whilst the Brighton kids at the other end started mocking the chant. One kid in particular was getting right in this guys face making a noise like a moped whilst doing the hand motions of revving up a motorbike. His mates were all joining in too, when this guy (he was about 35/40 dressed like an aging Casual) snapped, jumped up and tried to hit the kid. I think he caught him a glancing blow but it was hard to see with so many people on the train. Cue all the kids diving in on this guy, it was like twelve armed milling machine powered by a nine volt battery. Then the police charged through knocking innocent bystanders out the way and it was all over.

When we got to London Bridge the kid was hauled off the train first and made to go and stand in the corner like a naughty school boy. He appeared close to tears when I walked by him, the Millwall guy was pinned down by the police on the train. This was the last I saw of them until I got off the train at Brighton on the way back. The kid was moaning to his mates about how he was going to pay the fine that he had received (presumably some sort of on the spot fine) and said he was hoping that he would not get banned from football. I think and hope some lessons have been learnt from all this but I fear it may take a few more beatings before the lesson sinks in with this group.

Nobs , deserved a slap . May of slapped you myself if I had seen that .

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
ask anyone what atmospheres used to be like compared to today at places like chelsea, man united, liverpool, arsenal, etc, etc before local, working class people were priced out of the game by extortionate ticket prices. the game has changed, and class has a big thing to do with it. leeds can still put on a show of incredible atmosphere that no "ultra" group or souless plastic club could put on - because they have a largely unchanged fan base. as i say, nothing against anyone who follows football today, but as the football fan has changed, so has the atmosphere.

Don't recall many "working class" people at the Goldstone in the seventies. All looked a bit middle class to me..................................

It's changed because, as yiu say, clubs the size of MILLWALL (a very self proclaimed community club!) charge adults £25 to watch them. and that's still a heft wedge of cash for 90 minutes "entertainment"

Sep 19, 2011
Cuckfield
I like that one.

BTW - where in the name of Keith Chegwin's flaccid cock did 'we pay your benefits' spring from? :facepalm:

That seems to get sung everywhere these days, and not just restricted to the northern holes where it used to be heard

It's like some gimps in the crowd have heard a song they think is funny and sing it everywhere, even if it sounds f***ing stupid given the circumstances

mate you sound like a character from the league of gentlemen with your wooly views on 'local football for local people'. if you trying to say that people on low incomes have been priced out of football then we are in agreement. however that has nothing to do with modern football culture... are your lot now all soulless plastic types (to use your language) as i heard some complete and utter drivel from millwall fans last night, including one particularly lovely number about hiv/aids.

you're kidding now, right?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
the same has happened at most clubs - it's more a middle class play thing now, football...where as teams mainly used to be supported by the local kids off of the local estates, now it's suburban simons coming in from the suburbs with their scarfs and shiney shirts and crap songs. that has affected the culture of football. sky sports and ticket prices are what's changed it. nothing against middle class fans at all, but the "romanticising" of how football used to be "before all these idiots showed up" is really harking back to a time when it was a working mans game.

The majority of fans now are made up of: middle class males, families, the self employed/business owners. All with a stake in society and all conformists. There's alot of self righteous adults who look at the 'yoof of today' in a condescending way.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
ask anyone what atmospheres used to be like compared to today at places like chelsea, man united, liverpool, arsenal, etc, etc before local, working class people were priced out of the game by extortionate ticket prices. the game has changed, and class has a big thing to do with it. leeds can still put on a show of incredible atmosphere that no "ultra" group or souless plastic club could put on - because they have a largely unchanged fan base. as i say, nothing against anyone who follows football today, but as the football fan has changed, so has the atmosphere.

Totally and utterly correct.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
you're kidding now, right?

why would the lack of people on low incomes attending football mean that loads of people now sing 'we fill your stadium' at millwall on a tuesday night? are you suggesting that somehow people on low incomes wouldn't dream of singing that, but yet people on middle and high incomes think it's hilarious to sing that? that's just way too simplistic.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
mate you sound like a character from the league of gentlemen with your wooly views on 'local football for local people'. if you trying to say that people on low incomes have been priced out of football then we are in agreement. however that has nothing to do with modern football culture... are your lot now all soulless plastic types (to use your language) as i heard some complete and utter drivel from millwall fans last night, including one particularly lovely number about hiv/aids.

It's you that really doesnt know what he's talking about, I've been going to chelsea since 1969, and regularly since 1980, the cheapest ticket price for a game like wolves is £47 , for arsenal its £56, the atmosphere at most chelsea games is shit , local working class people have been priced out and replaced by the sort of people who were in front of me in the queue to get into arsenal at home last season, whose topic of conversation as we queued to get into one of our biggest game of the season was " does jamie have harry redknapps eyes"? jesus f***ing wept, and you claim that money has no bearing on modern football culture?

DerbyGull

Mar 5, 2008
Notts
It's you that really doesnt know what he's talking about, I've been going to chelsea since 1969, and regularly since 1980, the cheapest ticket price for a game like wolves is £47 , for arsenal its £56, the atmosphere at most chelsea games is shit , local working class people have been priced out and replaced by the sort of people who were in front of me in the queue to get into arsenal at home last season, whose topic of conversation as we queued to get into one of our biggest game of the season was " does jamie have harry redknapps eyes"? jesus f***ing wept, and you claim that money has no bearing on modern football culture?

this

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham

Spot on but that is a different point to the thread topic at least that is what I think les dynam is getting at.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

mate that's just nonsense. are you suggested that Chelsea, a club in one of the wealthiest parts of london, have never attracted fans from across the wealth divide... that throughout the 60s and 70s chelsea fans were all 'local working class' and so therefore got behind the team without making daft songs?

oh and what's this love in with leeds fans all of a sudden, a set of fans who just three weeks back were singing songs glorifying the munich air disaster. classy.

manonthespot

Sep 28, 2011
brighton
i don't belive our young fans now are any different to what i was at 16 in the early 80's... if anything i would say we were much worse back then

Jan 30, 2008
What is going on with our fans? Where have all these idiots come from? And the average intelligence level seems to be falling dramatically.

This isn't a JCL rant, but when we used to go away in the dark years of the late 90's and early noughties, everyone just seemed so much better. The following wasn't full of thick idiots who didn't have a clue how to behave. We seem to have picked up a load of 17-19 year olds who think they are some kind of, well I don't know really, I would say Danny Dyer character, but it's not very Danny Dyer to sing "f*** off Millwall" and "Forever Blowing Bubbles" when hiding behind the fences in Coward's Way, and then go completely silent as soon as they are in view of the big bad boys from Millwall. They all went very quiet then, didn't they? It's embarrassing, and it's also f***ing annoying when you are face to face with all the Millwall fans, waiting to get into the queue with them and the twats behind you are singing "f*** off Millwall" from the safety of the fences behind and out of view.

These kids are going to be taught a valuable lesson at some point this season, probably somewhere where they least expect it like Barnsley, and do you know what I'm going to do? I'm going to laugh. HA HA HA!

And how thick were some of our chants last night?

"Millwall's a shithole, I wanna go home" - First of all we weren't in Millwall, it's the other side of the river, and secondly it's actually quite nice these days.

"We filled your stadium" - What the f*** is that about and why did we keep singing it? We didn't 'fill their stadium', we didn't even sell out our end, even though it is the second closest ground to us.

"You're just a small town in West Ham" - For f*** sake is that really the best we can come up with? It doesn't even make sense. It's even worse and more unoriginal than "Does your boyfriend know you're here".

I'm looking forward to the away games like Middlesbrough etc when these twats aren't there.

Good work on the lads trying to sing the proper words to GOSTBS and at the proper speed last night, you gave it a good go. It is going to take a long time for people to learn all the words though, especially the ones who just go to the odd game or the big away days.

Apart from all the shit songs and thick retards, I thought the atmosphere was good last night, we outsang Millwall easily. Shame there are still these people who cant handle their drink and feel the need to throw bottles at, er, well I'm not sure who / what at, just throw them. One came from the guy behind me, I'm not sure if he was inebriated or retarded, but he didn't seem to be able to speak English.

Maybe I'm getting old.

Maybe it's because I didn't have a beer last night for the first time at football for years. Maybe I'll be one of these twats I'm moaning about at Birmingham on the 29th. I don't think so though.

Rant over (although still plenty more available if anyone is interested).
look no further than the NSK ,a total Joke aren't they .

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

i think what i'm trying to say is... you don't need to be on a low income or live in social housing to be a passionate knowledgeable football fan. you didn't back in the day, and you don't know. and i think i'll bow out at this point.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
mate that's just nonsense. are you suggested that Chelsea, a club in one of the wealthiest parts of london, have never attracted fans from across the wealth divide... that throughout the 60s and 70s chelsea fans were all 'local working class' and so therefore got behind the team without making daft songs?oh and what's this love in with leeds fans all of a sudden, a set of fans who just three weeks back were singing songs glorifying the munich air disaster. classy.
Of course not, we've always attracted the showbiz types , but not really the wealthy locals from the immediate area surrounding stamford bridge , apart from the council housing in worlds end estate and the prefabs off lots rd, chelseas core support has always come from across south london from wandsworth across to kennington area, that has now been priced out to an extent, and the atmosphere has suffered accordingly.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
i think what i'm trying to say is... you don't need to be on a low income or live in social housing to be a passionate knowledgeable football fan. you didn't back in the day, and you don't know. and i think i'll bow out at this point.

I see what your trying to say, and agree, but there are also a lot of dispassionate fans who are along for the "soccer experience " as its been described.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
Of course not, we've always attracted the showbiz types , but not really the wealthy locals from the immediate area surrounding stamford bridge , apart from the council housing in worlds end estate and the prefabs off lots rd, chelseas core support has always come from across south london from wandsworth across to kennington area, that has now been priced out to an extent, and the atmosphere has suffered accordingly.

fair enough. can't argue with that as you obviously know your onions when it comes to chelsea.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove

fair enough. can't argue with that as you obviously know your onions when it comes to chelsea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here