Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Nor do I.

If the Opposition parties stay united, there is every chance we'll still be in in November. SNP suggesting a few minutes ago they could support Corbyn in a tempory Government is certainly a good start. Lib Dems and ex-Tories are hopefully still on side, even if they won't support a Corbyn lead government.

After his chastising today, even though Johnson will still talk himself up, he'll be less inclined to suspend Parliament again. That was one idea Government sources suggested they could implement in three weeks time. Not sending the letter to the EU for the extension if there is no deal agreed in October must now be a worry for him. He won't want to mess with the Courts again.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
If the Opposition parties stay united, there is every chance we'll still be in in November. SNP suggesting a few minutes ago they could support Corbyn in a tempory Government is certainly a good start. Lib Dems and ex-Tories are hopefully still on side, even if they won't support a Corbyn lead government.

After his chastising today, even though Johnson will still talk himself up, he'll be less inclined to suspend Parliament again. That was one idea Government sources suggested they could implement in three weeks time. Not sending the letter to the EU for the extension if there is no deal agreed in October must now be a worry for him. He won't want to mess with the Courts again.

He tried, he failed, and for all his bluster, he won't try it again.
An extension will be asked for and agreed.

Me? I'm 'getting ready for Brexit' and have booked a nice little hall in a community centre, for a Brexit party on the 12th of never.
See you all there, I hope. :)

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Anyone who was privy to the legal advise will be used to screen Johnson, and Cox as a hangover from May's time in office is a prime target.

He must be considering his position, probably the Leader of the House too. The Cabinet who were unhappy about being left out before must be furious they've been dragged into it further now.

It didn't get much coverage at the time, but Robert Peston was getting whispers from Cabinet.

I fully expect some more resignations.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
As noted above, and same question to you - how do we prevent Boris fluffing the negotiation on purpose and our tumbling out with no deal on the 31st? We may have a law saying we can't hard Brexit and must ask for an extension, but what is to stop Boris fluffing the request? Do you think the EU will let this rumble on and on, like Hans Blix having his weapons inspections thwarted by Saddam for ten years and just saying 'oh well, never mind' or will the EU just tell us to '**** off now, go on, **** off'? ??? Well?

Funnily enough, a deal is possibly the easiest way out for Johnson now, the one he said he was after but wasn't. If only he'd been genuinely trying he could have a plan B. Right now he's got naddah.

The Courts already ruling against him over Parliamentary suspension makes me think he absolutely WILL send his letter, he's had a wake up call with regards to unlawful behaviour.

The EU want a deal, and have been transparent so far. If he tries any hijinks with them they won't go unreported.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
So if he does tumble us out with no deal on Oct 31, as I fully expect, then he will bide his time amd then call an election

As has been posted several times, he can't call an election. We'll have an election when Corbyn agrees

how do we prevent Boris fluffing the negotiation on purpose and our tumbling out with no deal on the 31st? We may have a law saying we can't hard Brexit and must ask for an extension, but what is to stop Boris fluffing the request? Do you think the EU will let this rumble on and on

There are two questions there. The EU have already intimated they would agree to an extension but would want to see a reason. A GE or another referendum

As to Johnson fluffing the negotiations. There are several theories here: one is that someone else does the negotiating - I've seen all sorts of suggestions here: Corbyn, Clarke, Bercow, Frost, Sedwill, even The Queen.
We're in unchartered territory here, so we don't know. The other suggestion is, as above, there's another event that kicks the ball further into the long grass

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I have a feeling that this makes leaving with a deal more likely. The original WA was voted down, and a lot of those voting against it were hard brexiters. Now I think that even they have to accept that no deal is incredibly unlikely to happen (firstly it's already against the law, whatever Johnson says - and secondly, I suspect Parliament will beef up Benn's law pretty quickly), and they may then finally realise that the WA is the only way to get Brexit at all. I can see the speaker allowing another vote on the same thing on the basis that the circumstances have changed even if the agreement hasn't.

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
It didn't get much coverage at the time, but Robert Peston was getting whispers from Cabinet.

I fully expect some more resignations.

I remember that, if we're talking about the same time. I think Matt Hancock and Nicky Morgan were suggested as two of the most likely, or highest profile, candidates to resign. Amber Rudd would have been on that list if she hadn't already gone.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I can see the speaker allowing another vote on the same thing on the basis that the circumstances have changed even if the agreement hasn't.

I'm not sure he will. It's pushing the same Bill through the same parliament. He'll only do this if the WA changes substantially eg if the backstop applies to the whole UK. Otherwise, we'll have to wait until after the Queen's speech for them to try again

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Does anyone know if a normal proroguation requires legal advice from the Attorney General to confirm it is lawful?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Before being moved this needs to be heard by as many people possible

:lolol::lolol: :clap: :lolol: :lolol:

[tweet]1176557758344093696[/tweet]

Please Mods give it some time for the rank and file before moving to it's rightful place.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What if it wasn't a prank though. What if the guy's story is true? What if he is advocating a campaign to have that occur with all remainers. I think Farage acted far too soon there.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
How the caller managed to hold it together for the punchline is admirable.

Which instantly reminds me of this joke I know I could never deliver the punchline too:-

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Which instantly reminds me of this joke I know I could never deliver the punchline too:-

I still love that joke Stat. When we get together we still play that one to any new member of our group. It’s like some initiation ceremony

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I remember that, if we're talking about the same time. I think Matt Hancock and Nicky Morgan were suggested as two of the most likely, or highest profile, candidates to resign. Amber Rudd would have been on that list if she hadn't already gone.

Yes and I honestly believe some are hanging on to try and control Cummings.

I also believe there have been negotiations going behind the scenes and a lot of what the EU say is bluster.

However, Boris has gone way too far both breaking Cabinet rules and shutting down Parliament unlawfully.

Tonight No 10 are briefing against the judges.

He simply has to go.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here