Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I don't think Brexit is dead, i think this ruling increases the likelihood of no deal. With all the political shenanigans over here, who could blame the EU from walking away from us now? Their patience may run out even if Boris is forced to ask for an extension. I don't believe he will ask in any case, he will try to weasel out of it.

It is fair to blame parliament. A massively remain favouring parliament initially agreed to uphold the referendum, even the liberals stated they would respect it. Creeping rebellion set in and now after 3 years, remain elements are invigorated and emboldened and many simply don't care at all about the largest vote in our countries history.

Whichever the outcome, there is a LOT of trouble coming over this.

But the 'creeping rebellion' has been caused by the creeping realisation that the cake-and-eat-it Brexit flogged to half the country by Boris & associated salesmen never existed in the first place. The leader of the Tory Party negotiated what she saw as the next-best-thing and given that her party and its associates had a majority in the House (that's why they formed the government) it was reasonable to assume that it would be approved by Parliament. It wasn't, because Brexit ultras in her own party refused to support it.

You simply CANNOT blame the opposition for not supporting a version of Brexit they disagreed with just because the government's own Brexiteers refused to step up to the plate and back their own Prime Minister. (Well you can, but you shouldn't.)

Brexit is machine-gunning itself in the foot and its supporters shouldn't point the finger at others. (I agree with you that the EU has every right to feel pissed off with the British government. Half the British people - more according to polls - are also pissed off with the British government. I for one am utterly ashamed.)

Seaber

Oct 20, 2010
Wales
Tories will probably call for early election next week, Labour just said they won't go for that.

Government also throwing the AG under the bus by leaking Fox's advice on prorogement.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Who is disputing that but the blame does not rest 100% on Boris shoulders.

Er.... bang wrong there.

He didn't involve cabinet in the decision or show them the legal advice which post Chilcot (Iraq Inquiry) also breaks Government rules.

If it wasn't for this court case, that would be the big story.

He simply has to go.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Tories will probably call for early election next week, Labour just said they won't go for that.

Government also throwing the AG under the bus by leaking Fox's advice on prorogement.

Yep already trying to push the blame away from Boris.

The reality is - the decision was probably made by Cummings, Boris and the AG.

Cabinet WERE NOE involved even though they are supposed to be party to legal advice post Iraq.

Boris has simply torn up the rule book until getting caught out today.

Has to go.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1176457645588393986[/tweet]

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Sadly I read that gold after posting.

Poor Boris, being used like a puppet

Pretty much. But that was always going to be the case. He is a spokesman rather than a leader.

This is most apparent but many are still being sold on it.

The Tory right have him in their hand- even though he is more centre right under usual circumstance.

Still, his political career was his goal more than anything else.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Keep up. Boris ISN'T a traitor, and nor should he resign, because some other boys told him to do it.

You've been listening to Ben's Grandad again. I've warned you about this before!.....

…… Well, no I haven't actually, but unless it is about left backs, don't take any notice of BG.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We all await with interest the references to judges as 'Traitors' in parts of tomorrow's press.

My daughter's father-in-law reckons that people don't like the Daily Mail because it "prints the truth"!

He said that to me once and I couldn't help laughing in his face - how rude!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here