Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
And the Most Sanctimonious Post On The Brexit Thread Award goes to………

True, but you have to admit this one runs it close.........

Referendums tend diminish democracies rather than empower them. The Tories tried their best to destroy ours by pushing a hard Brexit without consulting anyone, they thought a 52/48 vote was some kind of blank cheque. Thankfully some smart people brought them into check. Experts that understand the rule of law, not an angry mob that know little outside of the Daily Mail.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
A huge majority in parliament voted to give the people a referendum. A referendum the government promised to enact, 17.4 million won the day and parliament voted by a huge majority to trigger article 50. Then followed a general election where 80% voted for parties promising to enact Brexit I expect it to happen .... yes very, very, democratic. The outcomes of elections should be honoured or what's the point in holding them.

People trying to subvert or reverse it are contemptible undemocratic loons.

Then we vote on the final deal. Even more democratic! Wa-hey!

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Then we vote on the final deal. Even more democratic! Wa-hey!

As you know we wont be voting on the withdrawal agreement, it will be our elected members on our behalf.
Still, its quite an easy choice for them, Leave the EU whilst accepting the withdrawal agreement or Leave the EU whilst rejecting the withdrawal agreement.
As you say Wa-hey!
Tick Tock

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
People trying to subvert or reverse it are contemptible undemocratic loons.

People wanting a vote are “contemptible undemocratic loons”. What on earth do you call people like @JC Footy Genius and @GT49er etc who want to suppress a vote then?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Which clearly isn’t going to happen is it?
yup,my money is currently on Leaving with an agreement, our parliament will prob accept the agreement (unless its a shocker), i wouldnt like to bet on whether or not The EU parliament accepts the agreement, they might reject it and then its leaving without a deal, they cant be that dumb though.....can they?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
People wanting a vote are “contemptible undemocratic loons”. What on earth do you call people like @JC Footy Genius and @GT49er etc who want to suppress a vote then?

What vote am I trying to suppress? I'm supporting the vote, the one that actually happened. You, and some of your Europhile mates, are the ones who are trying one way or another to make the result go away.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
yup,my money is currently on Leaving with an agreement, our parliament will prob accept the agreement (unless its a shocker), i wouldnt like to bet on whether or not The EU parliament accepts the agreement, they might reject it and then its leaving without a deal, they cant be that dumb though.....can they?
No, they probably won't be that dumb. I suspect they will ultimately be more pragmatic than the more fervent remainers are. Still, in a spirit of goodwill and sympathy, a song for them.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhO2Hi9jQD4

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
As you know we wont be voting on the withdrawal agreement, it will be our elected members on our behalf.
Still, its quite an easy choice for them, Leave the EU whilst accepting the withdrawal agreement or Leave the EU whilst rejecting the withdrawal agreement.
As you say Wa-hey!
Tick Tock

I think you have missed the significance of the rebellion last week.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
What vote am I trying to suppress? I'm supporting the vote, the one that actually happened. You, and some of your Europhile mates, are the ones who are trying one way or another to make the result go away.

I think that as the consequence is difficult to reverse, or impossible to revert, at least to a status within the EU as good as we have now, it should be checked.
I don't see the point in enacting the will of (a small majority of) the people from 2 and a half years ago, if it is not the will of the people by the time we get to it.
Seems a bit rapey, if the Government has to say afterwards to a fecked country, "but I thought this is what you wanted, I didn't hear you say stop?"

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
There's more chance of Theresa May turning up at PMQ's blacked up in a Dianne Abbot outfit than her being able to unite her cabinet into one Brexit policy and aspiration

To be fair that is far more likely than Dianne Abbot ever making a useful contribution as a politician, or the current Labour party ever coming close to making the books balance.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
To be fair that is far more likely than Dianne Abbot ever making a useful contribution as a politician, or the current Labour party ever coming close to making the books balance.
A, by becoming an elected MP she has already contributed as a politician and B, how is the Tory government doing on ' balancing the books "? Deficit gone by 2027 was the last estimate, ongoing government austerity still increasing poverty and homelessness... Yep doing really well.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
People wanting a vote are “contemptible undemocratic loons”.

I wanted to exercise my democratic right to have a democratic vote in the referendum last year, as the outcome did and does directly affect me personally. I was democratically told to f**k off by the democratically elected government. And yet although my democratic voice and the democratic voices of millions of others like me were democratically silenced, I am still told by those on the leave side to get on with it and accept the democratic will of some other people.

To be honest, if that's democracy you can shove it up your arse in my opinion.

And if that makes me a 'contemptible loon', I'm comfortable with that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I wanted to exercise my democratic right to have a democratic vote in the referendum last year, as the outcome did and does directly affect me personally. I was democratically told to f**k off by the democratically elected government. And yet although my democratic voice and the democratic voices of millions of others like me were democratically silenced, I am still told by those on the leave side to get on with it and accept the democratic will of some other people.

To be honest, if that's democracy you can shove it up your arse in my opinion.

And if that makes me a 'contemptible loon', I'm comfortable with that.

What was the reason? The “15 year rule”?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I hadn’t really thought about this, but I’d hazard a guess and say that more people in your situation would have voted remain. I wonder how many were excluded from this, seemingly gerrymandered, referendum?

I did read on here that you and our wife had obtained Dutch passports. I’m pleased you have found some security from this chaos.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here