Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BNP Takes “Safest Labour Ward” in Kent

Yiddo1882

Nov 18, 2008
So the BNP wins a seat on the Sevenoaks Council in Swanley Kent in its first ever outing in this ward. The seat was regarded as one of the safest Labour wards in all of Kent. It would be interesting to hear peoples views if the time has come when the public are switching their vote towards the BNP in the south, or was this just some protest vote?

I would like to keep this thread open to sensible replies only, please none of the childish schoolboy insults or name calling would be nice:whisky:

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
So the BNP wins a seat on the Sevenoaks Council in Swanley Kent in its first ever outing in this ward. The seat was regarded as one of the safest Labour wards in all of Kent. It would be interesting to hear peoples views if the time has come when the public are switching their vote towards the BNP in the south, or was this just some protest vote?

I would like to keep this thread open to sensible replies only, please none of the childish schoolboy insults or name calling would be nice:whisky:

im surprised there are any labour wards in sevenoaks always thought it was pretty much part of the stockbroker belt.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
They may have gotten in the back door of the Council through the Swanley cheap seats but they won't get any further with Sevenoaks.....For starters you have to have a brain to attend council meetings....

Dandyman

In London village.
not this bit of Swanley

What are the demographics of the ward?

I note that the BNP character got in on a minority of the total votes:

Paul Golding (BNP) 408 votes (41%)

Mike Hogg (Lab.) 332 votes (34%)

Tony Harry Seanes (Con.) 247 votes (25%).

Not sure what percentage of eligible voters 987 votes represents.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
What are the demographics of the ward?

I note that the BNP character got in on a minority of the total votes:

Paul Golding (BNP) 408 votes (41%)

Mike Hogg (Lab.) 332 votes (34%)

Tony Harry Seanes (Con.) 247 votes (25%).

Not sure what percentage of eligible voters 987 votes represents.
White working class, lots of social housing and gypsy families.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
408 votes. It's hardly significant is it. The candidate probably just rounded up his mates families and got them all vote.

Have the BNP ever got more than 20% of the vote in a Parliamentary consitiuency?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
408 votes. It's hardly significant is it. The candidate probably just rounded up his mates families and got them all vote.

Have the BNP ever got more than 20% of the vote in a Parliamentary consitiuency?

National opinion polls (like YouGov or Mori) are usually done with a sample of 1000-1500 and are considered accurate to within +-3%

41% is quite a high percentage... Labour won the 2005 General Election with 35.3% of the popular vote.

In that 2005 election the BNP totalled 192,000 votes (0.7% of the votes cast)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

I think they got 13% in Burnley in the last GE, amid an atmosphere of simmering racial tension.

They're an insignficant two-bob "party" and the discussion on here far, far outweighs any relevance they might have. That said, that was nearly 13% of the vote that the mainstream parties ought to be looking as a missed opportunity. It doesn't say much for the major parties if so many people feel sufficiently suckered into voting for a crappy, racist party run by simpletons.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
National opinion polls (like YouGov or Mori) are usually done with a sample of 1000-1500 and are considered accurate to within +-3%

41% is quite a high percentage... Labour won the 2005 General Election with 35.3% of the popular vote.

In that 2005 election the BNP totalled 192,000 votes (0.7% of the votes cast)

But opinion polls don't select people all from the same council estate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here