Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Barndoor Paynter

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I thought he played better today.

This was the first I've seen of him "live" and if that was better, then I'm horrified. He did absolutely nothing. I thought he would, at the very least, be holding the ball up, but he couldn't do that at all. Within 2 minutes of coming on, Barnes controlled a ball up to him, and laid it off to Harley, who ran on into the area. THAT was what I was expecting to see from Paynter, and I just didn't.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
This was the first I've seen of him "live" and if that was better, then I'm horrified. He did absolutely nothing. I thought he would, at the very least, be holding the ball up, but he couldn't do that at all. Within 2 minutes of coming on, Barnes controlled a ball up to him, and laid it off to Harley, who ran on into the area. THAT was what I was expecting to see from Paynter, and I just didn't.

I'm really worried that Gus will sign him in January - he seems to rate him, lets hope not!. He adds nothing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think Paynter gives us something different. Remember he provided the flick on for the second goal against Barnsley which btw Harley scored.
That's stretching it abit.
Forgetting the bit that happened in between is hugely revisionist.

trancing

On our way 2 falmer
Jul 23, 2009
Shoreham By Sea
You can't have been at the game then as Me and everyone around me in west upper thought he was our best player and shouldn't have been taken off. Proof of that was when he did we had no one to break up coventrys game and we just sat deeper and deeper.

With players like Harley, you need to appreciate the work they do off the ball and in my and many others opinion he had his best game for us yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using a goat

i sit in the west upper and everyone around me was saying get him off

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I have now watched him in the past few games and tried to ignore my Leeds mate who told me that he is the worst player they have ever had, but well, can't say he is the worst player we have ever had (Farrington, Ashley Neal, willy young), but he is close to that elite list. On arriving in our 1901 lounge to be told the team, there was a massive sigh, when it was announced that he was paying. After last week after Southampton, I was convinced that he would not be wearing a bha shirt again, I was wrong. Love Gus to bits, but a little confused that he keeps playing him, maybe that is the deal with Leeds, he has to play.

We have a good squad now when all fit, so hopefully we can replace Paynter, painter, Navarro , Harley, Calderon, who are IMHO not championship players.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
This! Poor Barnes having to play left wing at first then centre mid when Kaz came on. :facepalm:

Im glad Poyets crown is slipping a bit as the adulation was gettin way over top. It seems he is, at the moment, a fairly decent Champ manager - which is fine by me.

I understand that he will make mistakes, I just hope he is not too stubborn to learn from them.

Bazzza67

Feb 6, 2011
Brighton, UK
Was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt when he arrived, but now, no, simply not good enough.
Soccerbase shows he is 6ft and 12 st 4, but he does not get off to ground to challenge for headers with back
to goal, and when he is challenged by the centre back looks to the ref for a free kick every time. Plus, he seems
to play too far away from CMS so that if he should hold the ball up, there's no one to lay it off too...

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I think Paynter gives us something different. Remember he provided the flick on for the second goal against Barnsley which btw Harley scored.

Painter is far from the perfect answer but until January he is the only real target man we have. Barnes does not do a target man job, he is better dropping off. Also a lot of what Paynter does goes unnoticed as it involves making runs and pulling defenders away from CMS. The physical presence alone hives CMS more space, regardless of whether Paynter is doing anything with the ball.

And finally I though Harley had his best game yesterday, really showed why Gus bought him.

100% agreed

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Billy? So either Gus has brought him in as a target man (in which case he is not up to the job on what we have seen so far) or he's been brought in to make spaces for CMS (which he doesn't because he tends to play quite deep). Certainly not the target man we were led to believe he would be. Very rarely wins the high ball (or even challenges it seems), some very nice touches and lay-offs yesterday but none of them in dangerous parts of the pitch. Lacks the physicality of a traditional target man. Disappointing and Barnes is more threatening IMHO. And why was Hoskins on the bench all game? If fit, give him some game time.

Harley? He may well be one of those players who does much much more than my limited knowledge of football allows me to appreciate. But I doubt it. Played better yesterday but not great. At time our midfield was completely AWOL with Navaro over stretched and making mistakes because of that. He's a luxury player we can't afford to have in the team at the moment - would rather have Sparrow than Harley. One ray of hope - he is getting slowly better. Won't play if Vicenta is fit.

Harold

Jul 7, 2003
Hastings
Harley seems to need a good half hour before he syncs into the pace of the game. He is a tad lightweight for my liking, and doesn't function well in limited space. However as the game opens up he gets a lot better (in my opinion).

Paynter is what he is, a poor quality, desperation loan siging. Why he can't jump and compete for an aerial ball is beyond me. Plods along playing the same way and is very predictable with his runs.

I have to say that Barnes isn't helping himself in keeping Billy out. Ash seemed very lacksadaisical when he came on. If I was him I would be working my socks off and chasing down loose balls, in fact doing everything to show my workrate was better than Paynters.

There's a few in that side need to look at themselves though. Far too many wayward passes yesterday, and the corners/free-kicks are still poor quality.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I have to say that Barnes isn't helping himself in keeping Billy out. Ash seemed very lacksadaisical when he came on. If I was him I would be working my socks off and chasing down loose balls, in fact doing everything to show my workrate was better than Paynters.

Would you run around showing you have a better workrate than Paynter if you had been instructed, since we were winning, to slot into midfield, and keep your shape, not get drawn into chasing the ball across their area because they try do what we tried to do last season - passing the ball around the edge of their area to draw us out of position and leave space up field for them to move in to?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
I would love to see Hoskins get a full 90 minutes instead of Paynter.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Can't be bothered to read all this but I thought Paynter had a good game yesterday and we struggled badly when he went off.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here