Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Billy Barndoor Paynter

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I'm very reluctant to slage off an individual player BUT Paynter has been a total waste of space. He can't run (lazy, slow) and he can't jump. His control is poor and on the rare ocassions he's had half a sight of goal he's been like the proverbial rabbit in the headlights. Oh, and hb&b was defending him so that confirms how useless he is.

Give Hoskins a go.

PG
I'd agree with this. I don't like slagging off our players either but I fail to see what Paynter offers, apart from a window into the standard of a mid table league one side. He really is poor. When McCammon played for us, I think most of us understood that playing someone of his limited ability was a direct result of playing at Withdean. We can do better than this type of player these days.

What has Hoskins got to do to get in the side? I can only assume he is still not 100% match fit, and only capable of a 20 minute cameo, hence his appearance on the subs bench. We're crying out for someone to hold the ball up, and I thought that was going to be a big part of Hoskins' game.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I reckon I must've been as well then as I made him a close call for man of the match.
Harley ended up impressing me with his attitude. He started off poorly, with all his little touches not quite coming off, or he'd do the hard work by ducking out of three tackles and then promptly spray the ball to a Coventry player's foot. And as we all know, a player knows when he's playing shite and doesn't need a crowd to prove it by barracking him as it makes it ten times harder. However, despite being hounded every time he f***ed up, Harley found his footing and his confidence grew after that even opening 20 minutes, and once he did so, we began to run the game.

Harley has talent, but we need him to prove that he's a bit more than a flat track bully and only good against the shithouse sides.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Both Paynter and Harley are improving so let's just see if Gus and the staff can get what we are looking from them to see if we need different options come January.

If Paynter had won that penalty (which imo was a deffo)we would be saying well done in the way he drew the player to foul him and it's good to see something different.

We really do need to support all our players in our first season back in the championship only 1 point out of the play offs.

well said Mouldy. I actually thought he was doing a decent (agree not earth shattering) job out there on saturday. He held the ball up, he stopped it being pinged back at our defence on the occasions that the ball was cleared quickly. yes he's not very mobile and could be described as limited at this level but he wasnt as woeful as is being made out.

Just before he went off he had a run that he was too easily knocked off the ball but by then people had forgotten the penalty shout was the type of one that is given more often than not.

When he went off, his replacement (Barnes) had a poor time of it. Couldnt seem to determine if he was playing wide, up front or as a midfielder (granted that may have been down to his instructions). There were a couple of occasions where CMS got the ball and Barnes didnt seem to understand if he should move forward to give him an option or hang back.

I think people need to give this squad some leeway. harley got into the game more on saturday, navarro had a solid game. Last year we would have been ecstatic at beating an established (albeit struggling) championship side. We are after all, halfway to safety, points wise, after only 18 games.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Harley has talent, but we need him to prove that he's a bit more than a flat track bully and only good against the shithouse sides.

I would also like to see him looking to play in little balls behind teh defence for CMS to run onto, more. He seems too keen to hit a hollywood shot that gets charged down, rather than pick a pass when close to the penalty area.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Paynter was better on Saturday. You can really see what he is there for. A long long way from the finished article but please remember that he has barely played competitive football in a a year. To compare him to McCammon is frankly idiotic

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Not the player I thought he was going to be - doesn't seem to win headers and his hold up play is not exactly great. More than willing to give him the benefit of doubt but once Hoskins is fully match fit would like him to start instead.

When he went off, his replacement (Barnes) had a poor time of it. Couldnt seem to determine if he was playing wide, up front or as a midfielder (granted that may have been down to his instructions). There were a couple of occasions where CMS got the ball and Barnes didnt seem to understand if he should move forward to give him an option or hang back.

Barnes had a hard time of it because he was being moved around the pitch by Gus who seemingly does not want to play him up top this season. When he first came on he was doing a job down the wing tracking their right back. then when LuaLua came on he was meant to be the link between midfield and CMS but we were not getting the ball and there was not much he could do. Did a good job of tracking people and trying to break up play but seemed to be under instructions to not push too far forward.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Harley ended up impressing me with his attitude. He started off poorly, with all his little touches not quite coming off, or he'd do the hard work by ducking out of three tackles and then promptly spray the ball to a Coventry player's foot. And as we all know, a player knows when he's playing shite and doesn't need a crowd to prove it by barracking him as it makes it ten times harder. However, despite being hounded every time he f***ed up, Harley found his footing and his confidence grew after that even opening 20 minutes, and once he did so, we began to run the game.

I've got no doubt's that Harley will come good in the end and the longer he stays in the team the better he'll get, In truth his form so far has probably been more about sorting his head out rather than his talent as he's had a very much up and down time of it since the summer.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

I'm starting to think we as fans have been a bit harsh on Harley. Looking at his record he hasn't played many games at this level, all his games for Exeter were in the 3rd tier. It's probably going to take time for him to adjust to the championship.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks

From my lofty seat in WSU i could see that their right back was starting to cause problems for us and getting too much space & time. Barnes came on & tracked him back and allowed Vincelot to tuck in a bit tighter to Dunk/Greer. I doubt Paynter could have done that but Barnes did it fairly well. I'm guessing he had strict instructions to do just that and hence he was a bit reluctant to go too far forward, just in case........

GAZTASTIC

Sep 17, 2010
HOVE - JUST
From my lofty seat in WSU i could see that their right back was starting to cause problems for us and getting too much space & time. Barnes came on & tracked him back and allowed Vincelot to tuck in a bit tighter to Dunk/Greer. I doubt Paynter could have done that but Barnes did it fairly well. I'm guessing he had strict instructions to do just that and hence he was a bit reluctant to go too far forward, just in case........

Spot on. Their right back was starting to cause us enormous problems and I was worried what would happen when/if KLL came on. Barnes was put up against to stop him from being the attacking threat he had become.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

And I remember him going forward a couple of times, once collecting the ball deep in our half and making it halfway into theirs before laying it off to harley, who was well tracked and his cross was blocked for a corner, one time when he ended up getting fouled and the ref played on and we got nothing from the advantage, and late in the game he took the ball into the corner and the ref gave a freekick to them for nothing, which resulted in their last foray forward. While he was on as a defensive tactic (we were winning 2-1 and they were pressing), he still made some good runs forward.

IMG_0456.PNG

This was on his Wiki page just after the transfer window closed in August/September. I think a Leeds United fans was disappointed he didn't leave...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're crying out for someone to hold the ball up, and I thought that was going to be a big part of Hoskins' game.

Really? Doesn't look like a "hold up" player at all; i.e. Emile Heskey, Bobby Zamora, Glenn Murray. Unless I have misunderstood you.

Hoskins is a small chap, looks much more in the CMS instinctive pacey striker mould.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Really? Doesn't look like a "hold up" player at all; i.e. Emile Heskey, Bobby Zamora, Glenn Murray. Unless I have misunderstood you.

Hoskins is a small chap, looks much more in the CMS instinctive pacey striker mould.

I haven't seen him so can't comment. I just presumed he was the hold up man we need.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
I haven't seen him so can't comment. I just presumed he was the hold up man we need.

He's not a hold up type of player, more a nippy skillfull striker who knows where the net is.

This may not be a bad thing if he puts a shift in. One of the big problems with CMS is that he runs his arse off to chase down a 50/50 cause, and then there is NOBODY bothering to get forward to support him so no outlet. Hoskins is certainly a busy type of player who I expect to show way more hunger than Paynter at least.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
He's not a hold up type of player, more a nippy skillfull striker who knows where the net is.

This may not be a bad thing if he puts a shift in. One of the big problems with CMS is that he runs his arse off to chase down a 50/50 cause, and then there is NOBODY bothering to get forward to support him so no outlet. Hoskins is certainly a busy type of player who I expect to show way more hunger than Paynter at least.

Yep this, sometimes, whilst we are playing Poyets current restrictive system, CMS is chasing stuff down only to find there is no one keeping up with him. Hoskins would.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here