A few Albion 'fans' being nationalistic ****s on the train last night...a rare occurrence?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Disgraceful I am truly sad that your family had to endure such poor behaviour and that they did not let it spoil what was otherwise a great day

Buckeejit

Sep 21, 2014
Disgraceful I am truly sad that your family had to endure such poor behaviour and that they did not let it spoil what was otherwise a great day

Thanks for that... it didn't spoil a great day but find it bizarre that others on this thread think it was a made up story just to get a reaction... main thing I've gleaned is the reassurance that most Albion fans think this sort of stuff is pathetic and out-dated... cheers!

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
Thanks for that... it didn't spoil a great day but find it bizarre that others on this thread think it was a made up story just to get a reaction... main thing I've gleaned is the reassurance that most Albion fans think this sort of stuff is pathetic and out-dated... cheers!

Bullsh*t.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I am afraid you are talking complete and utter nonsense!
There are no 'verses' just a repetition of what you describe as the chorus - it really is that simple!
As a Rangers fan (as well as BHAFC obviously) I have heard this ditty sang on a fair few ocassions both in Belfast and Glasgow and have never heard any 'verses' and certainly never heard any loyalists or Rangers fans singing about St George!!

It's not sectarian? but you heard it in Glasgow and Belfast and you support Rangers. Haha what a tool you are.
By the way the version at England games I've heard starts:
'Keep St.George in my heart keep my English'.
Also I've just got off the phone to my pal 'Corporal' Gray. The fella that did 3 tours. He said over there loyalists sing 'Keep St.George in my heart keep me smiling' Also the next bit has something about the hand of Ulster but he couldn't recall it exactly. I know that part is not sung in the England fans version . So I'm afraid it's YOU that have no idea wtf you are talking about. It is a sectarian song and especially you'd take it as sectarian if you were Catholic Irish. But I don't really give a crap what you say because you're just wrong end of.

Edited to add the hand of Ulster thing.

Last edited:

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
It's not sectarian? but you heard it in Glasgow and Belfast and you support Rangers. Haha what a tool you are.
By the way the version at England games I've heard starts:
'Keep St.George in my heart keep my English'.
Also I've just got off the phone my my pal 'Corporal' Gray. The fella that did 3 tours. He said over there loyalists sing 'Keep St.George in my heart keep me smiling'. So I'm afraid it's YOU that have no idea wtf you are talking about. It is a sectarian song and especially you'd take it as sectarian if you were Catholic Irish. But I don't really give a crap what you say because you're just wrong end of.

You are clearly talking absolute sh!te - Ulstermen do not and have NEVER EVER sang about St George after all they've got a wide enough songbook to not bother with such made up crap - LOL wtf would they as he's the patron saint of England you fool LOL!!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Yes they have , and I count myself amongst the people that have , despite the IRA killing 4 of my comrades and trying to kill me once ,what I do object to, is being told how i should move on , by someone who is a foreigner , and who had no direct experience of the IRA or their terrorist activities whatsoever.

Objection to foreigners. Isn't that admitting to being xenophobic? Not that you have to.

Nov 27, 2009
After what was generally a great day at the Amex yesterday, as an Irish adopted Brightonian with family over for the weekend who I'd brought to the match (duly converted - they loved it!), can't say it was a great experience for us to hear quite a sizeable group of drunken Albion 'fans' aggressively belting out 'No surrender to the IRA' (and other flag-waving tunes more generally associated with Chelsea and Rangers) on the train back to Brighton late yesterday afternoon... first time I've heard that kinda shite from Albion fans and my first match was at the Goldstone about 20 years ago...so, do you lot encounter this kinda thing much??

Why would your friends be offended by people singing a song about not giving in to IRA terrorists? Especially after Brighton was bombed during the troubles. It's not referring to them.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
You are clearly talking absolute sh!te - Ulstermen do not and have NEVER EVER sang about St George after all they've got a wide enough songbook to not bother with such made up crap - LOL wtf would they as he's the patron saint of England you fool LOL!!

This is true, the song that the OP says was sung is an England song - not a Rangers one.

Last edited:

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one

See Ulster Flag or Ulster banner. Sure in the Protestant bars and pubs of Belfast especially those that were popular with the British Army it's possible that the words were changed. It certainly has been changed at England football matches. But really you're spitting hairs here. It's origins are 100% a sectarian song. As I said before if you are Irish Catholic it would be sectarian to you, however if sung by a bunch of pissed up youngsters after an Albion match bizarrely, then you may not take offence. Like you those kids might not know of the songs past.

Why would your friends be offended by people singing a song about not giving in to IRA terrorists? Especially after Brighton was bombed during the troubles. It's not referring to them.
Probably because they remember it being sung by Combat 18 at the Ireland v England game at Lansdowne Road in 1995 that was abandoned.

Every time I've heard it sung since then, I find it impossible to get the memory of that game out of my head. It is clearly intended to intimidate any Irish person within earshot.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
There doesn't seem any to be any similar songs about the UDA ect who committed similar acts of violence.

This conflict seems to be largely finished today and should be consigned to history.

To sing songs about this after a BHA home game, when there are more relevant threats today such as ISIS, seems a bit silly really.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Probably because they remember it being sung by Combat 18 at the Ireland v England game at Lansdowne Road in 1995 that was abandoned..

It was sung by a lot of England fans. How exactly do you identify a Combat 18 member amongst a crowd of thousands? There was a lot of scollobs talked in the media in the aftermath of that match. I recall that some journalists were even making reference to the fascist looking hammers on one or two England flags. It was a West Ham badge.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports