Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

A few Albion 'fans' being nationalistic ****s on the train last night...a rare occurrence?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Yeah probably, but got to question why people would be offended by it ?

I can understand why some might be offended but I wouldn't be. But, to be signing these sorts of songs after a great Albion game suggests they were wanting to be a bit anti-social/wanting a reaction etc so I would be annoyed if they were sat next to me.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Away from the semantics of the thread, I still have no idea why they would be singing it anyway. I always thought that Brighton fans were a bit more imaginative with their songs.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
I can understand why some might be offended but I wouldn't be. But, to be signing these sorts of songs after a great Albion game suggests they were wanting to be a bit anti-social/wanting a reaction etc so I would be annoyed if they were sat next to me.

I don't understand why anybody would be offended about standing up against terrorism

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
It is obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence
If you were trying to imply my connection between the singing on the train and the lads raising funds in the Railway Bell was far-fetched I'm afraid you are talking out of your @rse - you clearly don't know those lads from the RB but there is a possibility a few MAY have been involved in the singing!

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
'Down with this sort of thing!'

Seriously though it is a loyalist sectarian song, LB is right.

Song or not, like I alluded to earlier I was in a pub, speaking about terrorism in general and the bombing of the grand hotel, in our own town ! Would anybody take offence at us slagging off the scum that did this ?

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
I don't understand why anybody would be offended about standing up against terrorism

Or even current terrorism.
Really dont see the point in Brighton fans singing it, seriously, I dont.
Thats nothing to with any politics. Just not sure why anybody would be singing it in this day and age.

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
Please explain precisely how repeating 'No surrender to the IRA' several times is sectarian?

It's sung by Unionist and Loyalists in NI and is the no surrender bit is the chorus. I know the start of it has something about St. George and the cross etc. I'm not sure of the full verse or song. But a friend of mine did 3 tours of NI in the 90's it was sang along with many many others in Protestant pubs and bars. It's a sectarian song. I don't really understand why someone would sing it at an Albion game. I've heard it following England along with the cringey 'German Bombers' song.
It is what it is, I can understand if you were Irish it might be a bit corncerning. Not because the people singing it hate the IRA, that's fair enough, but because the song has a sectarian history. If you hear that song and you're Irish, it means the people singing it are anti Catholic, anti Irish and as a result a sectarian. However I'm sure the people Irish people in question, realised they were just pissed up twats and not sectarian in any way.

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
The facts are the IRA are scum, ISIS are scum, terrorism is wrong. So why the **** would any normal human being be offended about anybody singing or speaking out against these terrorists ?

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Or even current terrorism.
Really dont see the point in Brighton fans singing it, seriously, I dont.
Thats nothing to with any politics. Just not sure why anybody would be singing it in this day and age.

Brighton fans, blokes in a pub, people on the street they all have a views !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here