Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle United Vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***Official Match Thread***

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Good post. I'd add that Duffy needs time to realise we don't lump the ball out of defence at the first opportunity like he's probably used to doing at Blackburn. Other than that, too many players had bad games - Skalak, Murray, Bong, Sidwell for starters (so all areas of the pitch).

Stephens is a goner for sure. Time for Norwood to claim his spot.

Maybe the hardest thing to understand is why Norwood isn't being given much match time with Kayal if that is the new partnership we need to depend on

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
As I said he had 2 saves to make in the entire game and saved neither what other shots did he have to save? The first he moved to his left as the kick was taken had he stayed where he was when he lined the wall up he would have saved it. The 2nd was unsaveable.

So the one he tipped round the post didn't count as a shot or a save then or how about the block after Bongs mistake.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Game was lost on free kicks given away by Kayal and Sidwell. Newcastle were good at them. Not much in it otherwise.

We gave away three fouls in dangerous positions. They gave away six or more. As Dale Stephens is best at long free kicks, he might have made a difference?

Stephens is probably the best at getting on the other end of them as well? He is also better at closing the opposition down and not giving away free kicks? And furthermore, when Stephens plays, Kayal does not foul so much.

Reading fans said to me that Norwood is quite good but don't let him take the free kicks.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Anyway, have a chuckle at this to cheer yourselves up. I wish I'd seen it.

[tweet]769659920572641281[/tweet]

The tweet is quoting this

[tweet]769585236065808384[/tweet]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Game was lost on free kicks given away by Kayal and Sidwell. Newcastle were good at them. Not much in it otherwise.

We gave away three fouls in dangerous positions. They gave away six or more. As Dale Stephens is best at long free kicks, he might have made a difference?

Stephens is probably the best at getting on the other end of them as well? He is also better at closing the opposition down and not giving away free kicks? And furthermore, when Stephens plays, Kayal does not foul so much.

Reading fans said to me that Norwood is quite good but don't let him take the free kicks.

Stephens is not the best at free kicks. His delivery last season was often very frustrating. He can't even take a decent corner, usually fails to clear the first man.

Doc Lynam

I hate the Daily Mail
Jun 19, 2011
Thought we looked star struck today especially in the first half, Bruno summed it up for me in his post match interview "we need to be better with the ball and especially personality when we play away at these type of stadiums."

mreprice

Sep 12, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I've watched it a few times and I still can't see where the first free kick they scored from came from.
CH had it right with his post match comments. They are a good team who played well - but didn't create more/better chances than we did.
Giving away soft free kicks continues to hurt us.
Despite those positive comments, I can't see us finishing top two if Sidwell is one of our first choice central midfielders. Can one of those stats sites tell me how many of his passes went forwards? Norwood looks promising though.

KingKev

Jun 16, 2011
Hove (actually)
Hey ho - an away defeat; what our third In The league in over 12 months?

Two issues for me:-
- Baldock second yellow was astonishingly poor. Highlights again the need for some sort of review system: NU twic as many fouls as BHA but the a at team plays with 10 men for 30 minutes? Nonsense.
- Sidwell should be / is our 4th choice CM; why did he start and stay on so long? I really do not understand this....

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I've watched it a few times and I still can't see where the first free kick they scored from came from.
CH had it right with his post match comments. They are a good team who played well - but didn't create more/better chances than we did.
Giving away soft free kicks continues to hurt us.
Despite those positive comments, I can't see us finishing top two if Sidwell is one of our first choice central midfielders. Can one of those stats sites tell me how many of his passes went forwards? Norwood looks promising though.

WhoScored keep the stats. It was Beram Kayal. Not sure it was a foul though? Debited it for four fouls and credited with seven tackles. Was it just this referee or are all referees cracking down on all the niggly fouls?

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Hey ho - an away defeat; what our third In The league in over 12 months?

Two issues for me:-
- Baldock second yellow was astonishingly poor. Highlights again the need for some sort of review system: NU twic as many fouls as BHA but the a at team plays with 10 men for 30 minutes? Nonsense.
- Sidwell should be / is our 4th choice CM; why did he start and stay on so long? I really do not understand this....

CH had a pre-plan and it might have worked. I thought he ought to have swopped the wingers over in the first half.

We got Newcastle before they gelled and their attack was down the right. I think with the new players they will attack down the left as well. Rafa must be dismayed that their midfield gave away so many free kicks. Without Dale Stephens we haven't got anybody with nous over the free kicks.

Kayal was much more involved than Sidwell. Hayden and Shelvey were better than our players. Lascelles and Mbemba lapped up all our (six) dangerous free kicks. They had three dangerous ones and scored twice from them.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
A lot of work to do on the training ground in the international break as at the moment we are not good enough to make even the play offs too many bad passes with the final ball in the last 3rd and too many free kicks being conceeded in dangerous areas. We are nothing like the team of last season in our general approach play or perhsps it is that other teams have twigged our system.

bWize

Nov 6, 2007

To be fair Newcastle did look more potent than us today, especially in front of goal. It was always going to be a struggle getting back into the game 1-0 down whilst they piled on the pressure. As soon as Baldock was sent off the writing was on the wall. We were in the game at times, but never really looked a major threat. Newcastle were the better team on the day.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Apart from the purple patch after their first goal I thought we coped quite well without ever looking comfortable. It was a game where everything came together for Newcastle at just the right time and when we did look like we might get back into it, the bar and a harsh refereeing decision snatched the opportunity away. We never gave up and heads didn't go down.

Disappointing but not a totally unexpected result imo. Newcastle were always going to put together a good performance eventually.

This time last year 5 points ahead of the feld, today five points behind the leaders. We have strength in depth this season and will hopefully have a number 10 and Stephens staying or a quality replacement when the window closes.

Al in all we have an exciting season ahead. Some of the reactions on this thread to this defeat are totally ott. It was always going to be a very tall order to come back from Newcastle with anything, from some of the comments you'd think we were favourites to win the game!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I don't think he's going to admit to being wrong. But he might still surprise us.
No it's coming if we know one thing about BG, he will always admit when he is wrong.
Perhaps a template will help:-

'Having looked at the highlights, I've realised I was wrong.
Stockdale made 2 excellent saves, which as [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] rightly pointed out I let my anti Stockdale prejudices get in the way of acknowledging.
Once again I apologise for being wrong'.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here