Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle United Vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***Official Match Thread***

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
To be fair Newcastle did look more potent than us today, especially in front of goal. It was always going to be a struggle getting back into the game 1-0 down whilst they piled on the pressure. As soon as Baldock was sent off the writing was on the wall. We were in the game at times, but never really looked a major threat. Newcastle were the better team on the day.
Imagine if they'd had either of their strikers available :nono:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Imagine if they'd had either of their strikers available :nono:

Yes I was thinking the same..still maybe the Independant online score might have been correct

SUNDAY 28 AUGUST 2016
Sport/ Championship
Cairney’s late penalty sinks former club Blackburn

Tom Cairney celebrates scoring against his former club (Getty)
SPORT STAFF
Huddersfield extended their lead at the top of the Sky Bet Championship with a 1-0 victory over Wolves, while Fulham moved into second spot with a late winner at bottom-placed Blackburn.

Former Wolves winger Rajiv van La Parra condemned his old club to a first defeat of the season after Nakhi Wells' sixth-minute shot had struck a post.

Another old boy, Tom Cairney, struck deep into stoppage time to give the Cottagers' three points at Ewood Park.

Goals from Jamal Lascelles and Jonjo Shelvey bumped Newcastle up to fourth, as they beat Brighton and Hove Albion 4-0.

Barnsley cruised to a 4-0 victory as they took the derby spoils in their Yorkshire tussle against Rotherham at Oakwell.

Marc Roberts scrambled Barnsley ahead after 54 minutes before Adam Hammill's deflected effort doubled the lead three minutes later.

Substitute Tom Bradshaw grabbed a third and the on-loan Ryan Kent added a fourth late on.

QPR won 1-0 at Wigan with Nedum Onuoha settling the contest three minutes after the break.

Norwich suffered their first defeat of the season at Birmingham.

David Davis headed Birmingham into a 22nd minute lead and a Clayton Donaldson double in the second half killed off the Canaries.

Donaldson stroked home a penalty after he had been upended by Steven Whittaker and added another after 83 minutes for a comfortable 3-0 victory.

david-wagner.jpg
Wagner's Terriers top the second tier by two points after five games (Getty)
Pajtim Kasami (16), Damien Perquis (71) and Oliver Burke (90) were on target as Nottingham Forest beat Leeds 3-1 at the City Ground.

Leeds' consolation came from a Kalvin Phillips free-kick seven minutes from time.

Bristol City overturned Jack Grealish's early goal to beat Aston Villa 3-1.

Villa were on course for their first away league win since the opening day of last season.

But Tammy Abraham - with his sixth goal since joining on loan from Chelsea - and Joe Bryan struck inside two minutes around the hour mark and Lee Tomlin's late free-kick sealed matters.

Brentford and Sheffield Wednesday drew 1-1 in a game which saw the Bees' striker Lasse Vibe cast in the role of hero and villain.

Vibe, who captained Denmark at the recent Rio Olympics, took advantage of a mistake from Owls goalkeeper Keiren Westwood to put Brentford ahead after 54 minutes.

Wednesday then had veteran midfielder David Jones sent off for picking up two yellow cards.

But Vibe was himself dismissed two minutes from time and Sam Hutchinson equalised for Wednesday in stoppage time.

Ipswich were without Daryl Murphy at home to Preston with the striker seemingly set for a move to Newcastle.

But Grant Ward's 15th minute goal gave them a 1-0 win, his fourth of the season following an opening day hat-trick against Barnsley.

Reading were also 1-0 winners at Cardiff with Yann Kermorgant's last-minute effort settling a scrappy encounter.

Want your views to be included in the The Independent Daily Edition letters page? Email us by tapping here letters@independent.co.uk. Please include your address

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No it's coming if we know one thing about BG, he will always admit when he is wrong.
Perhaps a template will help:-

'Having looked at the highlights, I've realised I was wrong.
Stockdale made 2 excellent saves, which as [MENTION=30242]spence[/MENTION] rightly pointed out I let my anti Stockdale prejudices get in the way of acknowledging.
Once again I apologise for being wrong'.

Havent watched the highlights yet but will and will come back a little later do not worry you havent lost me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have just watched the Championship on Ch 5 and I can only assume that you are talking of the shot by Ritchie in the first half which was straight at his body. Yes he was in the right place at the right time. The 2nd one I assume was the shot by Shelvey which he finger tipped for a corner. Was it going wide I am not sure but if not it was a good save. This didnt however counter his poor positioning for the 1st goal having lined the wall up from 1 place then moving himself.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
We won't finish top 2, certainly capable of top 6 though. Need a striker and the Stephens saga needs to be sorted asap. We all know he is refusing to play.

If that is true,why is he on the bench?

Surely CH would have left him behind due to a niggling injury?

Doesn't explain why he didn't come on though..........................

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Rafa is getting the hang of championship football quite quickly. Our passing game (what remains of it) could not get going because our players were marked heavily, persistently fouled and we did not have a speed merchant to run into space and stretch their defence. I don't think 4-4-2 is the best system when playing the better teams. It is too rigid and easy to counter.

Boro did us for set pieces last year. Is it a north-east thing? NB: If we had lost just 0-2 to Boro last year we would have gone up!

Foul count for Boro game was 6-7 compared.

I don't suppose Villa are very happy this morning!

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Have just watched the Championship on Ch 5 and I can only assume that you are talking of the shot by Ritchie in the first half which was straight at his body. Yes he was in the right place at the right time. The 2nd one I assume was the shot by Shelvey which he finger tipped for a corner. Was it going wide I am not sure but if not it was a good save. This didnt however counter his poor positioning for the 1st goal having lined the wall up from 1 place then moving himself.

So two saves that you completely missed on first viewing.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
I wouldnt class the 1st one as a save it just hit him the 2nd I thought was better but perhaps not needed. Neither counteract his mistake for their 1st goal. That was his contribution for 90 mins but not his fault if they dont shoot.

For the second save the ball was going inside the post. It was a decent save. If anything, i'd question his positioning for the second goal. Though that was right in the corner from Shelvey. Who is a pr1ck by the way. Can barely string a sentence together. Looks a nasty piece of work on the pitch.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We were bullied out of the game as weak in midfield, travelling back now but good night out last night

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What has surprised me is that nobody has mentioned the obvious. Benitez is a top manager who has managed many big clubs and he out thought CH which not many managers will do this season.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
What has surprised me is that nobody has mentioned the obvious. Benitez is a top manager who has managed many big clubs and he out thought CH which not many managers will do this season.

I meantioned it before and after the game and got criticised for being a "FIFA Manager".

And he didn't get out thought, CH just didn't adapt his tactics for the opposition in any way, which isn't being out thought, it's being arrogant. Benitez, comparatively, is a top class manager who set up their team to neutralise our strengths and prey on our weaknesses. That much was obvious to anyone with a football brain as soon as the team sheets came out.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
I've watched it a few times and I still can't see where the first free kick they scored from came from.
CH had it right with his post match comments. They are a good team who played well - but didn't create more/better chances than we did.
Giving away soft free kicks continues to hurt us.
Despite those positive comments, I can't see us finishing top two if Sidwell is one of our first choice central midfielders. Can one of those stats sites tell me how many of his passes went forwards? Norwood looks promising though.
The first free quick was plain wrong. The ref took the decision to play on after the 1st foul we committed. He shouldn't bring it back some good time afterwards when Newcastle lose possession having already been given the advantage to play on.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here