Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Newcastle United Vs Brighton & Hove Albion ***Official Match Thread***

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I thought the ref was consistent but got conned by both sets of players. I thought he did quite well in not caving in to the crowd trying to influence him, although he may have wavered a bit fro the Baldock sending off.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I thought the ref was consistent but got conned by both sets of players. I thought he did quite well in not caving in to the crowd trying to influence him, although he may have wavered a bit fro the Baldock sending off.

Was Baldocks 2nd yellow worthy of a yellow is all that matters,the fact then gets red should not come into it.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Was Baldocks 2nd yellow worthy of a yellow is all that matters,the fact then gets red should not come into it.

Silly and over exuberant, not malicious. Goaly made a meal and ref should have taken all those mitigating factors into account considering Baldock was already on a yellow. He got the balance totally wrong and the game as a contest suffered by uh seeking the limelight when brandishing the red.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Silly and over exuberant, not malicious. Goaly made a meal and ref should have taken all those mitigating factors into account considering Baldock was already on a yellow. He got the balance totally wrong and the game as a contest suffered by uh seeking the limelight when brandishing the red.

Vibe scored for Brentford from the same sort of move.

Last edited:

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

I though both sets of players were fouling all the time. One every three minutes. If all dangerous free kicks led to goals it would have been 3-6.

After Baldock got sent off the fouling stopped for a bit. Then it started again. Neutrals turned over to watch Hull City in disgust.

It think the crowd sensed the desperation Newcastle had not to get beat.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The first free quick was plain wrong. The ref took the decision to play on after the 1st foul we committed. He shouldn't bring it back some good time afterwards when Newcastle lose possession having already been given the advantage to play on.

That is a valid point how long do you take to assess whether advantage has been gained or not.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
That is a valid point how long do you take to assess whether advantage has been gained or not.

There is no guidance on this just as there is fairly wide and non specific guidance on when to play advantage; it is not just whether the team against whom a foul is committed is attacking but also the area of the pitch where the offence is committed and the seiousness of the offence. Those can equally be applied to how long advantage lasts. It is unlikely to be more than 10 seconds.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is no guidance on this just as there is fairly wide and non specific guidance on when to play advantage; it is not just whether the team against whom a foul is committed is attacking but also the area of the pitch where the offence is committed and the seiousness of the offence. Those can equally be applied to how long advantage lasts. It is unlikely to be more than 10 seconds.

In affect the ref could keep it going till they have a shot which goes wide and then bring it back. I was always brought up to believe it was immediate like a maximum 5 secs. If they got or kept the ball end of advantage.

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Sels saw Baldock coming and kicked him and then fell over. I put that down to home advantage.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent

Can't believe this hasn't been picked up. The clip doesn't run back far enough to show it maybe is something to do with it. I was claiming it was incorrect at before the 1st goal was scored as it was far too long and questioned whether the ref was going to let them play until they scored before bringing it back because you sort of know instinctively how long before it's forgotten and imo the opportunity should have long gone but with 50,000 Geordies baying who knows at what stage common sense goes out the window. The sending off is arguably in the same category of poor yet game changing decisions.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast

Think the ref had turned away from the action and you see him react and turn and run as soon as the crowd roar,nothing doing in all honesty,if that was the other way around it would have never have been given,that said it could still be a yellow..and no real complaints,the fact is it results in 10 men,clumsy or not we dont get the rub of the green in these situations all too often.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Think the ref had turned away from the action and you see him react and turn and run as soon as the crowd roar,nothing doing in all honesty,if that was the other way around it would have never have been given,that said it could still be a yellow..and no real complaints,the fact is it results in 10 men,clumsy or not we dont get the rub of the green in these situations all too often.

Could be a yellow is the key. In borderline incidents the ref should apply common sense if a sending off is in the offing. You often see that in games. Not here unfortunately and the ref allowed himself to be disproportionately influenced by the home crowd in the heat of the moment.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
Could be a yellow is the key. In borderline incidents the ref should apply common sense if a sending off is in the offing. You often see that in games. Not here unfortunately and the ref allowed himself to be disproportionately influenced by the home crowd in the heat of the moment.

Would the ref be so easily swayed if we had a more shall we say mouthy set of players,giving it some before kickoff? Is it a fact that we perhaps lack some sort of presence in the tunnel before KO,that plays into the mind of the Ref's for the BIG games,perhaps we don't give Referees a hard enough time throughout a game,the Referee knows he won't be badgered about it and ultimately we suffer....just a thought.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Would the ref be so easily swayed if we had a more shall we say mouthy set of players,giving it some before kickoff? Is it a fact that we perhaps lack some sort of presence in the tunnel before KO,that plays into the mind of the Ref's for the BIG games,perhaps we don't give Referees a hard enough time throughout a game,the Referee knows he won't be badgered about it and ultimately we suffer....just a thought.

Could spawn a whole new thread but in your favour is the Joey Barton incident/behaviour at home last season. He was giving it to the ref all game providing if your theory is correct a sort of psychological shield to the team. The fact he never got sent off through the Kayal tackle may add weight if you contrast the 2 incidents.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Interesting to see the Man City v West Ham game yesterday. Masuaku got an early deserved yellow card and then committed two further fouls clearly worthy of a second booking but Andre Marriner just lectured him both times, obviously reluctant to send him off as it would spoil the game. I wish more refs would take this approach. Did Baldock's two offences really mean he shouldn't be allowed to stay on the field? Of course not.

Bromley shrimp

Aug 24, 2003
Beckenham, Kent
Interesting to see the Man City v West Ham game yesterday. Masuaku got an early deserved yellow card and then committed two further fouls clearly worthy of a second booking but Andre Marriner just lectured him both times, obviously reluctant to send him off as it would spoil the game. I wish more refs would take this approach. Did Baldock's two offences really mean he shouldn't be allowed to stay on the field? Of course not.

Was tempted to mention spoiling the game but restrained for fear of getting into a debate on the black and whiteness of giving the yellow but the Mariner approach was really what I was alluding to. The game actual does have a value and that is clearly undermined when a Stroud approach is adopted as a response to such as Baldocks untimely departure.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Would the ref be so easily swayed if we had a more shall we say mouthy set of players,giving it some before kickoff? Is it a fact that we perhaps lack some sort of presence in the tunnel before K.O,that plays into the mind of the Ref's for the BIG games,perhaps we don't give Referees a hard enough time throughout a game,the Referee knows he won't be badgered about it and ultimately we suffer....just a thought.

Warren Aspinal has been saying that on the radio for ages we are too nice to refs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here