Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Zeqiri *Season-long loan to FC Augsburg*

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Irrelevant.

It is still a surprise move, and to some of us an unwelcome one too.

:shrug:

Probably not unwelcome to him or his development. Going to play regular football in a top league in a club desperately needing a starting striker. Likely and hopefully will do wonders for his development.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Has to be a better move for him to further his career than the reported interest from Reading?

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Player who wants to play football, moved to play in a quality European league where he is in the shop window and his value and capability may increase. Yes, piss poor.
Let's just have some mercenaries who are happy to be reserves and pick up the pay check instead shall we?

chrisg

Apr 9, 2012
Imagine if 2 of our 3 strikers left get injured- Welbeck is always going to get niggles and miss games , so if Maupay misses a couple of months , or when sent off again, it is Connelly left on his own.

Even if this 20 year old comes in from Prague, he isn’t even a centre forward, more a winger and less experience than Zeqiri

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
:shrug:

Probably not unwelcome to him or his development. Going to play regular football in a top league in a club desperately needing a starting striker. Likely and hopefully will do wonders for his development.
Still irrelevant whether (struggling around the lower end of) the Bundesliga is better than the Championship. As he's hardly played in England (just 9 times in the league, most, if not all as a sub), it's quite likely a Championship loan would have been an even better developmental step towards the PL for him, but presumably there wasn't one available.

Anyway, it'll either be good for him or it won't; and he might come back to us after his loan - or he won't. We'll never know until it happens.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Does indeed seem like a strange one. The player appeared to be increasingly figuring in Potter's plans
You really believe he has any plans? Much more likely he makes things up as he goes along. For a Premier league side our attacking options are truly appalling.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It simply must mean we have a striker coming in! Otherwise the next questions after showing your Covid pass on the gate will be can you play up front and do you have your boots with you?

Lol looks like the most dangerous thing a striker can do if they are to stay at the Albion is score a goal, both Tau and Andi gone next game

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Player who wants to play football, moved to play in a quality European league where he is in the shop window and his value and capability may increase. Yes, piss poor.
Let's just have some mercenaries who are happy to be reserves and pick up the pay check instead shall we?

In fairness we have one of those already.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Used to have Percy, Alli, Andone to come on and add some excitement and change the game. Now we just have Connolly

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Personally I've liked what I've seen of him (admittedly very little!) but I would like to have seen him have a run of games in the striker role. Hopefully this experience will be good for him and the Albion. And surely we must have another striker lined up, otherwise it makes no sense whatsoever.

Admit to being less disappointed with this one than with Percy, who looked to have gamebreaking talent.

Given our lack of natural wide players was exposed on Saturday, I’m also surprised we are rushing Khadra out the door too

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
I am surprised he’s gone out on loan as I thought this might be his breakthrough season can only assume someone is still coming

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
A strike force of Welbeck, Maupay, Connolly and Locadia certainly looks somewhat "lacking".

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Disappointed.

Offers more than Connolly has in in the last two seasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. Which is why we've probably found a loan home for him. I genuinely can't imagine Connolly had many, if any, suitable takers. Like everyone else I really hope this means there's an imminent incoming.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
ZEQIRI JOINS BUNDESLIGA SIDE FC AUGSBURG

Striker Andi Zeqiri will spend the season with FC Augsburg in Germany.

The 22-year-old Swiss international completed a loan move to the Bavarian Bundesliga side earlier today, which is subject to international clearance.

Head coach Graham Potter commented, “Andi is another of our young players hungry to play, and for him he also wants to play as a number nine, which we all feel is really key for his development.

“He’s an adaptable player and a really good professional, very hard working and is willing to do that for the team, but this will give him an opportunity to play in what is his best position and at the very top level of German football.

“It’s a great move for Andi, and we will be keeping a close eye on Andi’s progress this season.”

Zeqiri, who was called up to Switzerland’s senior squad this week, joined Albion in October 2020 from Super League side Lausanne-Sport, putting pen-to-paper on a four-year deal.

That followed a prolific campaign in his homeland, scoring 22 goals in 37 appearances in all competitions, as Lausanne were promoted to the Swiss top-flight.

Having joined his hometown club in 2011, he made his first team debut a month before his 16th birthday. A loan move to Juventus' B Team followed, before returning to Lausanne and establishing himself as a regular in the first team.

With over 100 career appearances to his name, Zeqiri has represented Switzerland through the youth ranks from under-15 up to under-21 level.

How the hell does Connolly get away with it? I would much rather have Zeqiri representing us. Surely we’ve seen enough of Connolly to know he just won’t make the grade.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here