Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Teacher Asks You To Do Homework on a Person Who Has Changed The World

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
yes sorry mate you are right what a f***ing idiot I am looking for excuses to bring race into this due to my own issues. Thank f*** there are people like you out there to tell me this isn't so.

Let's hope next term they are reading The Emperor's New Clothes eh.

Um.. is it just me but didn't you ask for people's opinions...??

:thud:

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Um.. is it just me but didn't you ask for people's opinions...??

:thud:[/QUO

yes i did, mine were nonsense apparently, why not pull up the people who say that too smartypants. its all fair in love and war mate, dont worry about it.

Eastleigh Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Presumably these kids are being guided in their studies.

There's a KS3 set of worksheets available to schools that features men and women who are possible role models for young people ...

MARGARET PASTON
HILDA OF WHITBY
JOAN OF ARC
ELIZABETH I
BESS OF HARDWICK
OLAUDAH EQUIANO
HARRIET TUBMAN
MARY SEACOLE
FLORENCE NIGHTINGALE
ELIZABETH GARRETT ANDERSON
ELIZABETH FRY
EMMELINE AND CHRISTABEL PANKHURST
MARIE STOPES
ANNE FRANK
JESSE OWENS
MAHATMA GANDHI
ROSA PARKS
MARTIN LUTHER KING
GOLDA MEIR
MARIE CURIE
AMY JOHNSON
HELEN SHARMAN
CECILY SAUNDERS
NELSON MANDELA
MAYA ANGELOU
UNSUNG HEROES

An individual classroom teacher will obviously make their own selection from this list, but to claim that there is an inevitable "racial agenda" that will "happen all over London" is NONSENSE.

There must be some kind of agenda there - is there otherwise a reason why a schoolchild cannot pick a white male as a role model?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Whilst he's a icon for many people, I struggle to see how Mandela has changed the world...Yes he's a great man in most respects but what's not reported is his staunch objection to contraception in South Africa which, as a result of HIS policies as President has meant that the number of people in South Africa with HIV/AIDs is higher than any other African country. In addition, little fuss is made of his and South Africa's support for Mugabe in Zimbabwe.

So when people say he's changed the world, some may argue not necessarily for the good.

Bollox. Condoms are not illegal in South Africa and education on HIV is everywhere so if people who can read this literature choose to ignore it then that is their responsibility. Years of under investment by white governments in black education may have effected this problem more and Mandela may have mentioned this once or twice.
South Africa have failed to condemn Mugabe of late and that tactic was quite obviously one that was utilised so that they could influence him as a friend and not an enemy.
You have to remember that Mugabe up until a few years ago was something of a god in the continent for his political successes.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
how about Adolf Hitler ?... he changed the world for the better by the WRONGS that he did. Without him would we have NATO/United Nations/the EEC ?

Face it, inter-country war in Western Europe is now almost certain to never occur again. Also, Hitler's actions led to the creation of Israel.. would that have happened without him ?

That didn't really answer my question. Are you trying to compare Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther-King to Hitler?

I honestly am not trying to give an opinion. I just want to know why people find it so offensive that King, Parks and Mandla are the three options.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
That didn't really answer my question. Are you trying to compare Rosa Parks, Nelson Mandela and Martin Luther-King to Hitler?

I honestly am not trying to give an opinion. I just want to know why people find it so offensive that King, Parks and Mandla are the three options.

If the point of the exercise is to show children how blacks have fought for their human/civil rights throughout modern history then thats fine.
If the exercise was to teach children of the people who have really changed history then they might have listed someone like Leck Walensa (sp) or Gorbachov or Churchill or..........

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
Should the people chosen also be dependent on the ethnic mix in the class? So Lech Walesa for the classes with loads of Polish kiddies?

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Hardly a diverse selection is it? All 3 are famous for fighting against the same thing.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
which proves how f***ing short sighted some of them are .

We can all be brilliant with the benefit of hindsight but not many people would have expected Mugabe to go the way he has.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
not sure about the school study but I am fed up of being reminded that Obama is black etc. We are supposidly brought up ignoring colour but blacks seem to constantly use it all the time when it suits. If whites behaved like blacks I imagine the blacks would Riot.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
It's one project, lasting about four weeks. For a ten year old. Out of their entire education. In a multi cultural city. I don't see a major problem.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
how exactly am i supposed to phrase it ? is "them" a racist term now ? am i not allowed to mention black people without gushing praise or eulogies about how wonderful they are , if you had grown up in south london , or any area with a high afro caribbean populaton im fairly certain you wouldnt be so twisted up with the middle class guilt that you so obviously are.

mr sheen

Jan 17, 2008
how exactly am i supposed to phrase it ? is "them" a racist term now ? am i not allowed to mention black people without gushing praise or eulogies about how wonderful they are , if you had grown up in south london , or any area with a high afro caribbean populaton im fairly certain you wouldnt be so twisted up with the middle class guilt that you so obviously are.

Zimbabweans? Africans? Southern Africans? Politicians? All black people? The commonwealth Heads of State? Just so we know which group you mean.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

MNN..... Right, lets try again.... " your teacher.etc.. homework etc on a person who has changed the world "

Suggestion " Adolf Hitler " " changed the world but, by doing the wrong thing"

Comparisons to King, Parks and Mandela ... none evident

move on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here