Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your second team and why ?

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
I'm sure there are plenty of lovely Lewes people, especially the few who are actually from the area, but unfortunately I’ve met a lot who are a bit too up themselves. Been to the Dripping Pan a few times though, including the women’s team on a Sunday afternoon. Always enjoyed that.
Being from Lewes, and being totally up yourself, are not in any way exclusive.

Jaxie

Dec 2, 2018
Far East (Sussex)
When I lived in Wolverhampton, I had a lot of fun following Wolves away on alternate weekends with Albion matches for two years in 1987-89. Zero affection for them since as they have been regular rivals and I've no reason to like them.

I don't have a second team. Eastbourne Borough could possibly win me over to be my second team at the moment as we live nearby and my son would like to go there - but they are rubbish to watch, and the matchday experience/value is generally shocking, so that hasn't happened.

I guess like everyone - of the other professional teams, the most common reason for me having a soft spot for a team is friends/family who are made happy by that team winning... for me, my top 3 of those such teams are Sunderland, Ipswich, and Exeter.
Same, as my father in law is from Sunderland. Not that they’re my second team or anything, but I’d be pleased if they came up.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
It’s an interesting topic as I’ve been wondering what to do about taking my kids. My eldest is about to turn 5 so in the next year or so will be thinking about taking them to their first game. I live in Queen’s Park London and so my local team is QPR (though I’ve never taken any interest in them). I’d love to be able to go to football most weeks with my kids - I could never do that with my dad as he worked weekends but I can do that. But getting from here to Brighton every other week isn’t realistic with all our other life commitments. So I’ve been debating (with myself) adopting QPR as a second team. But I can’t seem to summon any enthusiasm for it.
QPR are not really that much of a bad choice for a second club to follow, given their footballing neighbours.
I'm surrounded by their fans, and they all moan about their club in the same vein as Albion fans do.
As you are probably aware, there are tedious links between the two clubs.
Chris Ramsey, John Byrne, John Gregory to name but a few.
And they still have the original subutteo footy ground to play in.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
QPR are not really that much of a bad choice for a second club to follow, given their footballing neighbours.
I'm surrounded by their fans, and they all moan about their club in the same vein as Albion fans do.
As you are probably aware, there are tedious links between the two clubs.
Chris Ramsey, John Byrne, John Gregory to name but a few.
And they still have the original subutteo footy ground to play in.
😢. Haha.

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Worthing- Watch them a lot more than I watch the Albion due to price and accessibility.

The Scotland National Team- Because I'm a sucker for punishment
Rather than support the Scotland National team, isn’t it more rewarding just to hate the England team? I always thought that’s what really kept the Scottish fans going and interested in major tournaments …..

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Rather than support the Scotland National team, isn’t it more rewarding just to hate the England team? I always thought that’s what really kept the Scottish fans going and interested in major tournaments …..
nope, lived in England my whole life so would be weird to "hate" England. To be honest I just don't care how they get on

obviously my opportunities to support Scotland in a major tournament have been limited

kojak

Jan 17, 2022
nope, lived in England my whole life so would be weird to "hate" England. To be honest I just don't care how they get on

obviously my opportunities to support Scotland in a major tournament have been limited
Not caring on how England get on,your very much in the majority on this board

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Not caring on how England get on,your very much in the majority on this board
And long may that continue. It’s getting more and more difficult to get tickets as it is, the last thing we in the minority want is for it to start getting popular.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I've got a few thanks to playing too much Football Manager. I get invested in clubs so easily.

Notts County - made them the biggest club in the world in FM2019
Millonarios - Colombian club I managed a bit in FM2023
FC Energie Cottbus - German 4th tier team. Took them to the Bundesliga title in FM2015.
Napoli - Won basically everything with them in FM2022

There's more but I can't be arsed to list them out. I wouldn't call myself a fan of any of these clubs but I do keep up with their results.
For this reason, Eastbourne Borough.

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Carmarthen as I lived nearby and the closest non competitive BHA team [unless we meet in Europe]. Now I've moved to Swansea possibly Swansea Uni. as they have a team in the lower reaches, oh and a bar!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here