Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Your second team and why ?

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Well that's the only one I've been to (I got off the ferry at about 3pm), so I'll have to take your word for how any of the others went.
If that sort of thing is normal for the season so far the rest of the football world is missing out on something.
Last Saturday wasn’t good as Newhaven lost 1-4 in the FA Vase.
League games have been good, especially this 90+8 equaliser by the keeper :smile:

Not the best quality video though

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Last Saturday wasn’t good as Newhaven lost 1-4 in the FA Vase.
League games have been good, especially this 90+8 equaliser by the keeper :smile:

Not the best quality video though

I assume I've mentioned before that Jake was in my year at Tideway?
I remember him as being good at sport, I suspect he'd remember me (if at all) as "that weirdo". :lolol:

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Whoever my lad is playing for at the time.
I used to go and watch South Melbourne when I lived out there (blue and white kit). I also keep an eye out for Rennes as by chance, they played in both Ligue 1 games I’ve been to.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Yeovil Town FC - National League South
The Glovers
14 wins in a row
Its weird. I always look for Exeter City results, and am not sure why. I think it dates back to decades ago. as a teenager, I was ill throughout the week Albion were due to play there, and I was planning to go, but come the Saturday, just could not make it.

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
When I was about 13/14 I said to one of my mates that I couldn’t see us staying up* and he told me with that attitude I shouldn’t support Brighton. Queue a hilarious routine where I pretended to be a Barnet supporter for a while.

I chose Barnet mainly because I saw that they lost 10-1 in a friendly once on SSN and they were the lowest rated English team on FIFA. Quite happy with the pick in hindsight, anybody who picks Barnet over Arsenal/Spurs is clearly a little bit mental and I respect them for it. I don’t keep an eye out for their results anymore. Worthing are the only team outside of Brighton that I keep an eye on now (outside of season long bets, obviously)

*We stayed up thanks to Hart, Owusu & Russell Slade.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Local to me Wealdstone FC.
When I lived in Sussex, Hastings Utd.
When I was a teenager, I used to go and watch Ruislip Manor in the Athenian League. Handily, they played in the same kit as Fulham, so I didn't have to buy another scarf. I've just read that they are now the London Rangers, playing in Wembley. Shame.

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
I've seen a couple of Atletico Ottawa games over the last couple of seasons, so it'd be them I guess.

@Marty McFly, I haven't been to a match at TD Place since the team's next-to-last season as the Fury... before they joined the CSL. I had 4 half-season tickets, for a friend and our kids, who rotated. The best part for the children was going to Kettleman's afterwards and sitting on the terrace, enjoying fresh, just-of-the-wood-stove Montréal-style bagels with homemade cream cheese. Mmmmm....

Quebec Seagull

Vive le football... LIBRE!
Oct 19, 2022
Gatineau, Québec, CANADA
Second-favourite football club? LILLE. Mainly due to Jonathan David, good ol' French-Canadian star from right here in Ottawa-Gatineau. Striker and one of Ligue 1's top goal scorers for the past few years, led the team to the league title in 2020-21, nosing out PSG by a single point.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
I always look for the Arsenal results.

Happened during or maybe before our war years as we slipped down the divisions. Being lucky enough to have started watching The Albion mid seventies and seen us rise up the football world, it was disappointing once we crested the roller coaster and started returning to our humble roots. Myselfand a mate never stopped supporting our home town team, even when we got a rare game against the North London club, and were happy to trade insults with their fans and join in the pantomime of wannabe hooliganism against them too. So there were no split loyalties.

We just wanted to see ‘big time’ football occasionally, be part of a big crowd in a proper ground, watching properly gifted footballers. It was the end of the George Graham era, and the start of Arsene Wengers glorious reign. Thierry Henry, the ‘Invincibles’, whereas with the Albion we just got locked into Fratton Park after a 5-0 defeat in the pouring rain. As I said, look for their results, no emotional ties at all.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
When I was a teenager, I used to go and watch Ruislip Manor in the Athenian League. Handily, they played in the same kit as Fulham, so I didn't have to buy another scarf. I've just read that they are now the London Rangers, playing in Wembley. Shame.
That is a shame, clubs having to move to survive in playing footy.
Stephen Wilkins used to play for them, part of the Wilkins football dynasty.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
Aberystwyth Town,why because it's still football as it was before Sky invented the other type and it's my local club.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I can't say I have a second team as such. there just isn't the emotional investment there to really get into a game. I go to watch Blackpool and Fleetwood from time to time but it is just like watching a game on TV. I can't get properly excited about it

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
It’s an interesting topic as I’ve been wondering what to do about taking my kids. My eldest is about to turn 5 so in the next year or so will be thinking about taking them to their first game. I live in Queen’s Park London and so my local team is QPR (though I’ve never taken any interest in them). I’d love to be able to go to football most weeks with my kids - I could never do that with my dad as he worked weekends but I can do that. But getting from here to Brighton every other week isn’t realistic with all our other life commitments. So I’ve been debating (with myself) adopting QPR as a second team. But I can’t seem to summon any enthusiasm for it.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Grew up supporting Everton in the mid 80s with Big Nev, Adrian Heath, Kevin Sheedy & Trevor Steven etc.
Also had a soft spot for Torino & Roma when Ch4 started showing Serie A after the 1990 World Cup.

Dont follow any of them these days tbh.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Worthing- Watch them a lot more than I watch the Albion due to price and accessibility.

The Scotland National Team- Because I'm a sucker for punishment

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
But full of people not from Sussex :smile:

I do like the town and the football club though.
I'm sure there are plenty of lovely Lewes people, especially the few who are actually from the area, but unfortunately I’ve met a lot who are a bit too up themselves. Been to the Dripping Pan a few times though, including the women’s team on a Sunday afternoon. Always enjoyed that.

Swegulls

Aug 29, 2023
Stockholm
It’s an interesting topic as I’ve been wondering what to do about taking my kids. My eldest is about to turn 5 so in the next year or so will be thinking about taking them to their first game. I live in Queen’s Park London and so my local team is QPR (though I’ve never taken any interest in them). I’d love to be able to go to football most weeks with my kids - I could never do that with my dad as he worked weekends but I can do that. But getting from here to Brighton every other week isn’t realistic with all our other life commitments. So I’ve been debating (with myself) adopting QPR as a second team. But I can’t seem to summon any enthusiasm for it.
Since i don't dare to answer the OP's question ... I'd say QPR is an excellent choice (even if they are shite now) :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here