Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your County identity?

Where would you say your county identity lies?

• County Council/Aministrative areas- 'East Sussex/West Sussex'

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • The Historic County- Sussex

Votes: 139 83.2%

• Total voters

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
The boundaries of Civil Parishes don't always match the boundaries of Ecclesiastical Parishes (which are much older than Civil Parishes).

An example is Glynde. Glyndebourne Opera House is in the Civil Parish of Ringmer, but in the Ecclesiastical Parish of Glynde.

Yes... They are two completely different things. Just like the Historic Counties and areas administered by Councils are two completely different things.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Well I am still unsure of the origins of how the boundary here came to look like this, I can only imagine it is to do with land ownership. I do however happen to know how this part of Sussex eventually became administered by Hampshire County Council...

The historic county boundary here at Griggs Green does not match the parish boundary, ie from the yellow boundary upwards (See map below) is within the Parish of Bramshott, a parish which is mostly Hampshire. The Local Government Act of 1894 established Parish Councils/Civil Parishes. It was ruled that a Civil Parish should lie wholly within the area administered by a County County, so as a result this 'pigs tail' became part of Hampshire County Council, and annexed from West Sussex County Council. The Yellow line is still the county council boundary. And to re-emphasis the point, this had no affect on the historic county boundary.

The same happened to Lamberhurst with the whole civil parish becoming part of Kent County Council, and down near Rye the whole civil parish of Broomhill (where Camber is now located) became part of East Sussex County Council. Again this had no affect on the Historic boundary, which still divides these civil parishes. (Broomhill later became part of a Camber civil Parish)

Bringing it back to Griggs Green, this is one of the most important parts of the Sussex county boundary, as this is where the highest concentration of county boundary stones were located (Source: OS Map from 1899), marked by the red dots on the map below. There is more than a possibility that some or all of these county boundary stones are still here!!!!

View attachment 52235

Within the map below there are 20 county boundary stones marked within this location! A very important part of the county boundary to be marked this much.

After a search around Griggs Green we have found 2 existing boundary stones...
640px-Sussex-Hampshire_Boundary_Stone_1.JPG
South of the Longmoor Road in Griggs Green. Grid Ref: SU 821 316
Photo taken from Sussex, the Fence is in Hampshire.

and...

640px-Sussex-Hampshire_Boundary_Stone_2.JPG
North of A3 in Griggs Green. Grid Ref: SU 821 322
Photo taken from Sussex, the Fence is in Hampshire.

3 boundary stones we know are missing, however there are 17 more in this area to find....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Once [MENTION=29098]Sussaxon[/MENTION] has sorted out this thread, maybe it would be time to help the citizens of Oakham keep those Leicestershire ruffians out.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I think some people on here need to re-read this thread with all this "East Sussex" v "West Sussex" cobblers going around on here.
:facepalm:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
If asked, I would say Sussex because that's where I was born (Cuckfield) and live (Hove). But I really struggle to see how it matters in the slightest.
County boundaries whether modern or old mean the square root of diddly squat to me as a person in my opinion.

This surprises me. I'd have thought that most followers of what has mainly been a lower league football club would have a strong sense of place. The Albion will always been my club because I was born in Brighton. I have great affection for the county of my birth and also for the county of every single one of my ancestors from Isaac Newton down (and it has been mainly down).

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
When asked where I'm from It tend to say 'Brighton' (like most) and find myself referring to it as a town. If I'm asked which county it's in I would nearly always say 'Sussex' and quantify if needed.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
When asked where I'm from It tend to say 'Brighton' (like most) and find myself referring to it as a town. If I'm asked which county it's in I would nearly always say 'Sussex' and quantify if needed.

Same here. I can't recall ever being asked about the county but I usually have to say it's literally below London on the coast to non-Brits. Out of habit I'd say I'm from East Sussex as that's what I was brought up with.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Born in Albourne - which, at the time was east sussex, then the boarder was re-adjusted and became west sussex,

but the area has always been refered to as mid-sussex

sussex for me

My daughter was born in Albourne. It's a tiny village so there can't be many of you. Ted Heath moved the border from just west of the village to just east of Keymer in the seventies. I believe the local authority district changed from Cuckfield Rural DC to Mid Sussex DC at the same time. Neighbouring Husrtpierpoint used to be in the Lewes constituency, but later changed to Mid Sussex and now, along with Albourne, is in Arundel and South Downs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here