Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your County identity?

Where would you say your county identity lies?

• County Council/Aministrative areas- 'East Sussex/West Sussex'

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • The Historic County- Sussex

Votes: 139 83.2%

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
The poll is flawed, living in Brighton and Hove I am no longer part of East Sussex, therefore there needs to be three options, with the third being Brighton and Hove. This type of oversight is one that is repeated over and over again when filling in forms and the county box is compulsory, but the drag down only permits East or West Sussex.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
The poll is flawed, living in Brighton and Hove I am no longer part of East Sussex, therefore there needs to be three options, with the third being Brighton and Hove. This type of oversight is one that is repeated over and over again when filling in forms and the county box is compulsory, but the drag down only permits East or West Sussex.

So you're saying Brighton is not in Sussex then. Perhaps we shouldn't sing Sussex by the sea anymore?

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I would welcome the abolition of the boundary and a merger of the two halves. Surely the profile of the county would be raised if it were a larger single entity?

By population, a merger would put us ahead of both Surrey and Hampshire, making us the third largest non-metropolitan county in the country behind Kent and Essex.

The coastal road, the A27 and A272 mean that for most of us we spend time in both "counties", we are unified by the same coastline and the South Downs, and it seems a real shame that there is this subdivision.

But we can still raise the profile of the County of Sussex NOW!!!, despite there being many different councils administering it. It still exists as an Historic County. As I've said before Sussex hasn't been administered as a single entity since 1086. Which body is responsible for fixing the potholes or running the libraries where you live really should NOT have an affect on or interfere with ones local county identity.

It really wouldn't bother me if tomorrow the government decided that where I live was going to become part of the area administered by Kent Council, because I know at the end of the day I would still be living in the Historic County of Sussex, where my local identity strongly lies. The only problem is that then the media would start saying my home town is in Kent, when they should still be saying I live in Sussex! That's why I believe it is really important that the majority of the population are aware of their Historic County and let the media and politicians know that they are not going to allow their culture and heritage to be eroded!

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
I get really annoyed with these computerised address systems insisting I enter a county. Counties are not part of the post code system. Some still insist on Bristol, Avon - even though Avon cease to exist over fifteen years ago. I actually live in the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire, which is not in Gloucestershire! So good luck!

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I get really annoyed with these computerised address systems insisting I enter a county. Counties are not part of the post code system. Some still insist on Bristol, Avon - even though Avon cease to exist over fifteen years ago. I actually live in the unitary authority of South Gloucestershire, which is not in Gloucestershire! So good luck!

I think you'll find that you DO live in Gloucestershire!... http://wikishire.co.uk/map/#glos

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Born in Littlehampton, lived there until I was nearly 8; but spent teenage years in Ringmer where my Mum still lives. Its all Sussex for me.

A question to Sussaxon ... how do you feel about Brighton and Hove? If you lived in Preston Drove, would you consider yourself a resident of the parish of Preston, the town of Brighton, or the City of Brighton & Hove? Or just a resident of Sussex?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Which was the hardest primary in Burgess Hill - Southway or London Road? Definitely wasn't mine (Birchwood Grove).

Would suspect Southway due to its proximity to Denham Rd. However, I started primary educations at Junction Road and finished at Manorfield.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
A question to Sussaxon ... how do you feel about Brighton and Hove? If you lived in Preston Drove, would you consider yourself a resident of the parish of Preston, the town of Brighton, or the City of Brighton & Hove? Or just a resident of Sussex?

If I lived in Preston Drove I would say I was a resident of the Parish of Preston, The Town of Brighton, The County of Sussex, The Nation of England, The sovereign state of the United Kingdom and The continent of Europe.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
As someone born in Leeds, I find it perfectly easy to distinguish between the ten wapentakes of the West Riding and the larger territory of the House of York.

Incidentally (and since you've raised the question of county cricket clubs) it's noteworthy that when Yorkshire County Cricket Club was formed in 1863, the entire committee was based in the West Riding city of Sheffield. In 1883, the committee was re-constituted with 20 of its members being selected from the West Riding and just one place allocated to an East Riding representative, from Hull. The idea that a "county" cricket club is evidence of a "countywide" identity is nonsense.
Hull was a county in its own right since 1440.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=66770

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If I lived in Preston Drove I would say I was a resident of the Parish of Preston, The Town of Brighton, The County of Sussex, The Nation of England, The sovereign state of the United Kingdom and The continent of Europe.
The world, the universe, the galaxy, the milky way, space, the final frontier etc etc etc.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I am a Brightonian but I consider that as part of Sussex and that I'm English (I draw the line there). Our great club would be considerably diminished if it was only supported by people from Brighton and Hove. I also think that had Sussex not had it's identity stripped over the years that we would not have seen the amount of erosion of our support in the outlying areas like Chichester, Crawley etc

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Hull was what was known as a 'County Corporate', however again this was for administration not for geography or local identity...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hullshire

Hull was and still is within the East Riding in the County of Yorkshire.
No it wasn't. It was a county in its own right. The East Riding was a separate area.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
No it wasn't. It was a county in its own right. The East Riding was a separate area.

The word 'County' has been used to mean mainly 2 things over time, 1. An administrative area 2. A territorial unit of geography. 'The County of Hull' was the former, but was still within the latter i.e. Yorkshire. It's a bit like 'Brighton and Hove' now... It's still geographically Sussex.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
What is the story behind the very oddly-shaped county boundary around Liphook?

Well I am still unsure of the origins of how the boundary here came to look like this, I can only imagine it is to do with land ownership. I do however happen to know how this part of Sussex eventually became administered by Hampshire County Council...

The historic county boundary here at Griggs Green does not match the parish boundary, ie from the yellow boundary upwards (See map below) is within the Parish of Bramshott, a parish which is mostly Hampshire. The Local Government Act of 1894 established Parish Councils/Civil Parishes. It was ruled that a Civil Parish should lie wholly within the area administered by a County County, so as a result this 'pigs tail' became part of Hampshire County Council, and annexed from West Sussex County Council. The Yellow line is still the county council boundary. And to re-emphasis the point, this had no affect on the historic county boundary.

The same happened to Lamberhurst with the whole civil parish becoming part of Kent County Council, and down near Rye the whole civil parish of Broomhill (where Camber is now located) became part of East Sussex County Council. Again this had no affect on the Historic boundary, which still divides these civil parishes. (Broomhill later became part of a Camber civil Parish)

Bringing it back to Griggs Green, this is one of the most important parts of the Sussex county boundary, as this is where the highest concentration of county boundary stones were located (Source: OS Map from 1899), marked by the red dots on the map below. There is more than a possibility that some or all of these county boundary stones are still here!!!!

BjU6PTTCcAAwWRs.png

Within the map below there are 20 county boundary stones marked within this location! A very important part of the county boundary to be marked this much.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
I'm only first generation Sussex, as my Mothers family are all from Portsmouth and my Fathers family are from South London(Streatham) and Glasgow.

Which is odd as these places are home to all the teams I hate.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex
Ha Ha! I am however going to attempt to have the Sussex flag hoisted above Scotney Castle, Lamberhurst on June 16th! After all, it's as much Sussex as say Chichester, Horsham or Lewes!

Starting to think this guy is Sussex's version of Vladimir Putin. Next step, troops in unmarked uniforms and a referendum among the people of Lamberhurst.

The historic county boundary here at Griggs Green does not match the parish boundary, ie from the yellow boundary upwards (See map below) is within the Parish of Bramshott, a parish which is mostly Hampshire. The Local Government Act of 1894 established Parish Councils/Civil Parishes. It was ruled that a Civil Parish should lie wholly within the area administered by a County County, so as a result this 'pigs tail' became part of Hampshire County Council, and annexed from West Sussex County Council. The Yellow line is still the county council boundary. And to re-emphasis the point, this had no affect on the historic county boundary.

The same happened to Lamberhurst with the whole civil parish becoming part of Kent County Council, and down near Rye the whole civil parish of Broomhill (where Camber is now located) became part of East Sussex County Council. Again this had no affect on the Historic boundary, which still divides these civil parishes. (Broomhill later became part of a Camber civil Parish)
The boundaries of Civil Parishes don't always match the boundaries of Ecclesiastical Parishes (which are much older than Civil Parishes).

An example is Glynde. Glyndebourne Opera House is in the Civil Parish of Ringmer, but in the Ecclesiastical Parish of Glynde.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here