Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your County identity?

Where would you say your county identity lies?

• County Council/Aministrative areas- 'East Sussex/West Sussex'

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • The Historic County- Sussex

Votes: 139 83.2%

• Total voters

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
Hold on!

The poll is built on a false premise. East Sussex and West Sussex are two historic entities that pre-date by CENTURIES the creation of county councils in 1889. East Sussex's identity goes back to at least the twelfth century, when the Rapes of Hastings, Pevensey and Lewes were grouped together, under the County Town of Lewes. Chichester, Arundel and Bramber did their own thing, with little meaningful contact with East Sussex.

If you want to find a unified Sussex, it was never a "historic county". It was a historic kingdom. And it faded away in about 825, when it submitted to the rule of King Egbert of Wessex.

Sussex is a 'Historic County'- Fact. For example it wouldn't have a county cricket club otherwise. Yes, Sussex hasn't been administered by a single entity since 1086! But the points you make shows that despite not having a united in administration it hadn't eroded the local county identity of being from 'Sussex' before, so why should it now?

Another example would be Yorkshire, and its 3 Ridings plus the city of York. I'd like to see someone tell Yorkshire that they are not a county because they've never had a single administration.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I believe my Sussex roots out way my Jewish/Welsh stock. If the German's had invaded, I wouldn't have fancied my chances though.

Sorry fella that does not make any sense, Sussex roots are South Saxons = Germans = nothing to be worried about being invaded by yourself ! Or am I missing something

Sussex is a 'Historic County'- Fact. For example it wouldn't have a county cricket club otherwise. Yes, Sussex hasn't been administered by a single entity since 1086! But the points you make shows that despite not having a united in administration it hadn't eroded the local county identity of being from 'Sussex' before, so why should it now?

Another example would be Yorkshire, and its 3 Ridings plus the city of York. I'd like to see someone tell Yorkshire that they are not a county because they've never had a single administration.
As someone born in Leeds, I find it perfectly easy to distinguish between the ten wapentakes of the West Riding and the larger territory of the House of York.

Incidentally (and since you've raised the question of county cricket clubs) it's noteworthy that when Yorkshire County Cricket Club was formed in 1863, the entire committee was based in the West Riding city of Sheffield. In 1883, the committee was re-constituted with 20 of its members being selected from the West Riding and just one place allocated to an East Riding representative, from Hull. The idea that a "county" cricket club is evidence of a "countywide" identity is nonsense.

Last edited:

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
That blue and yellow thing that someone out west is trying to impose on the red and gold county?

That someone happens to be me... and I am very proud! And I happen to live in the eastern side the county! The red and gold that you are referring to is the Coat of Arms of East Sussex County Council It was granted exclusively to the council and only represents the council- Fact!

There are many examples of a blue field being used by different groups in the east of the county before the flag was even adopted in 2011, including Uckfield Bonfire and Carnival Society, Ewhurst & Staplecross Bonfire Society, and is on the village sign of Ringmer.

View attachment 52165

Even East Sussex County Council themselves had six gold martlets on blue on their unofficial 'arms' before an official grant in 1937.

http://britishcountyflags.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/sussex-flag/

That someone happens to be me... and I am very proud! And I happen to live in the eastern side the county! The red and gold that you are referring to is the Coat of Arms of East Sussex County Council It was granted exclusively to the council and only represents the council- Fact!

There are many examples of a blue field being used by different groups in the east of the county before the flag was even adopted in 2011, including Uckfield Bonfire and Carnival Society, Ewhurst & Staplecross Bonfire Society, and is on the village sign of Ringmer.

View attachment 52165

Even East Sussex County Council themselves had six gold martlets on blue on their unofficial 'arms' before an official grant in 1937.

http://britishcountyflags.wordpress.com/2013/04/15/sussex-flag/
I'm not claiming that there was ever a red and gold flag of East Sussex. I take the view that flags are a symbol of nations, not counties - and the idea of a "county flag" is a very, very recent idea. The only real exception I can think of is the Cornish flag - and they are different down there, with an ancient, rebellious aspiration for nationhood.

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
I'm not claiming that there was ever a red and gold flag of East Sussex. I take the view that flags are a symbol of nations, not counties - and the idea of a "county flag" is a very, very recent idea. The only real exception I can think of is the Cornish flag - and they are different down there, with an ancient, rebellious aspiration for nationhood.

There were flags representing other things long before they started representing nations. A flag can literally represent anything you want it to.

Yes, county flags are a recent idea, and that's because people want to display there local identity and culture. It doesn't mean that they are trying to remove themselves from the rest of the country. It's no different than an Albion fan wearing a replica shirt or sticking a sticker to the back window of their car, they are just expressing their identity and support.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
There were flags representing other things long before they started representing nations. A flag can literally represent anything you want it to.

Yes, county flags are a recent idea, and that's because people want to display there local identity and culture. It doesn't mean that they are trying to remove themselves from the rest of the country. It's no different than an Albion fan wearing a replica shirt or sticking a sticker to the back window of their car, they are just expressing their identity and support.

What's your motive with this thread ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Sussex for me. Have a west Sussex father and an east Sussex mother. Lived most of my life in east Sussex. Both counties are wonderful and full of beautiful towns, villages and fantastic scenery. I am extremely proud of my county, more in fact than of my country.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Born and breed in West Sussex but have always felt as the song says its Good Old Sussex by the Sea no East and West and I love the way our club identifies with the whole county. Will we see Ipswich fans with Suffolk flags I doubt it just a banner with the ramblings of a mad man.

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I grew up in East Sussex so regard myself as such. Having moved away though anything Sussex is brilliant for me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here