Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your County identity?

Where would you say your county identity lies?

• County Council/Aministrative areas- 'East Sussex/West Sussex'

Votes: 28 16.8%
  • The Historic County- Sussex

Votes: 139 83.2%

• Total voters

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Born and have lived in the West all my life but I'd say my identity is with the entirety of Sussex

Paskman

Not a user
May 9, 2008
Chiddingly, United Kingdom
Hold on!

The poll is built on a false premise. East Sussex and West Sussex are two separate historic entities that pre-date by CENTURIES the creation of county councils in 1889. East Sussex's identity goes back to at least the twelfth century, when the Rapes of Hastings, Pevensey and Lewes were grouped together, under the County Town of Lewes. Chichester, Arundel and Bramber did their own thing, with little meaningful contact with East Sussex.

If you want to find a unified Sussex, it was never a "historic county". It was a historic kingdom. And it faded away in about 825, when it submitted to the rule of King Egbert of Wessex.

Far too rational LB; could only come from someone who just have Sussex in their veins for generations. Sussex is an entity end of.........

Oh I consider myself "Sussex" by the way: Born in Brighton, have lived in both halves, although the Burchett side of the family go back into the depths of Sussex history.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Really don't get the whole East/West thing - the county isn't that f*cking big in the first place and certainly no need to split it.

And then I get even more wound up by the "Mid Sussex" boll*cks!

wardy wonder land

Dec 10, 2007
Born in Albourne - which, at the time was east sussex, then the boarder was re-adjusted and became west sussex,

but the area has always been refered to as mid-sussex

sussex for me

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Sussex for me.

I grew up in Hurstpierpoint and now live in Brighton so I've always been just in the East/West border.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
It's Sussex day on June 16th. What happens?

There'll be some tension in Tunbridge Wells south of the Pantiles, Lamberhurst south of the Teise and the Liphook dogleg. Hopefully, Sussaxon won't cause too much of a scene. North and South Ambersham could also be a flashpoint. My advice: stay indoors.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I spent most of my childhood and early adult life living in Saltdean just off Longridge Avenue [to the Brighton side]. This road is [was?] the border with East Sussex, so every time I went to the sweet shop, and later a pint in the Spanish, I had crossed into East Sussex. No passport or visa required and no checkpoint to traverse - why? Coz its all fecking SUSSEX

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Born in Surrey (couple of miles from the Thames) and raised in Burgess Hill. Part of the time in Burgess Hill West Sussex and part in Burgess Hill East Sussex and all of the time in Mid Sussex. Still don't give a damn!

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I'm originally a Shoreham boy, so West Sussex. That said, I always considered myself more associated with Brighton and so in my mind, I drew the barrier between east and west at the River Adur. Worthing to me was west, and I wanted to be part of Brighton in the east.

It all boiled down to me not caring too much about east or west. In the Goldstone when the the east v west chants struck up, I was genuinely confused and seem to join in with the entire chant.

It's Sussex for me.

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Born in Surrey (couple of miles from the Thames) and raised in Burgess Hill. Part of the time in Burgess Hill West Sussex and part in Burgess Hill East Sussex and all of the time in Mid Sussex. Still don't give a damn!

Which was the hardest primary in Burgess Hill - Southway or London Road? Definitely wasn't mine (Birchwood Grove).

Sussaxon

Mar 19, 2014
Sussex
There'll be some tension in Tunbridge Wells south of the Pantiles, Lamberhurst south of the Teise and the Liphook dogleg. Hopefully, Sussaxon won't cause too much of a scene. North and South Ambersham could also be a flashpoint. My advice: stay indoors.

Ha Ha! I am however going to attempt to have the Sussex flag hoisted above Scotney Castle, Lamberhurst on June 16th! After all, it's as much Sussex as say Chichester, Horsham or Lewes!

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
Ha Ha! I am however going to attempt to have the Sussex flag hoisted above Scotney Castle, Lamberhurst on June 16th! After all, it's as much Sussex as say Chichester, Horsham or Lewes!

Good luck with that - looks like Kent County Council have ruined it - place is falling apart. What is the story behind the very oddly-shaped county boundary around Liphook?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would welcome the abolition of the boundary and a merger of the two halves. Surely the profile of the county would be raised if it were a larger single entity?

By population, a merger would put us ahead of both Surrey and Hampshire, making us the third largest non-metropolitan county in the country behind Kent and Essex.

The coastal road, the A27 and A272 mean that for most of us we spend time in both "counties", we are unified by the same coastline and the South Downs, and it seems a real shame that there is this subdivision.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Its Sussex by the Sea, not East and West Sussex by the Sea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here