Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Your Amex Neighbours

Why did you go in the West Stand if your main concern is the atmosphere? Despite what a lot of people tried to make out, it was never going to be the place to be for that.

We were concerned that the angle of the North stand wasn't going to give us a great view. We weren't in the early priority periods so wouldn't have been able to get a group of seats at the back.

We wanted to be in the back row so we could stand if we wanted to without blocking people's views. The view is amazing, right in line with the penalty spot and we have seen three cracking goals at that end already (LuaLua, and Buckley x2).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Family stand, Row Z (right at the back), and slap bang in line with the 18 yard box.

Decent enough crowd in my vicinity, so well happy.

Also in Family, row P, one row in front of the stairs, in line with the pen spot. 5 empty seats behind me on Saturday, and guy beside me with his son seemed all right, and his boy shared his sweets with my son so they were sorted. As Simster, I was also well happy with everything.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Happy with view, proximity etc etc, but the bloke next to me is bit of a twat, constantly swearing, "REF THAT WAS A CORNER" pretty much every time something went for a goal kick, however obvious there was no touch by opposing player. I am sure he'll calm down as the season goes on, but certainly no complaints

I wasn't offended and I can empathise with you- As someone that tends to prefer away days to home games any day of the week, I absolutely share your frustration but I think the (unfortunate) reality is that in a stadium with 20,000 home fans and in a stand of 5000 (?) it is going to be very hard to have a buzzing atmosphere throughout the whole match. For example, having been to some away matches with some Spuds friends of mine as well as home matches, the noise generated when comparing the two is completely different- they tend to have a great following at away matches while White Hart Lane unless its against rivals is a lot quieter. That is, unless of course the action on the pitch is really riling the fans up. Call it fickle but I just see it as the consequence of having 20,000 fans under one roof all with different alcohol levels, many with young kids and many who are there to enjoy the game, and yes, many there for the sheer fuckoffness of it i.e. plastics

Im very happy I have some singers nearby as someone that loves a bit of atmosphere but in all honesty I see that as a bonus since I, rightly or wrongly, don't go to a home match expecting to be singing throughout the 90 (99) minutes as I would at an away game though I would expect some sort of atmosphere which I definitely got and I am sure will continue to get throughout the season. I don't want you to apologise for singing as it was great to have some singers there but what I will say is, and what you have acknowledged, is that some of it did go a bit far and I think if it were to continue it will make many people feel uncomfortable and Im sure eventually someone would say something and Im sure that will also piss you off and ruin your experience too when we should all be friends :kiss:

Also, I wouldn't be too downhearted that the atmosphere where you were sitting went a bit flat mid-second half. The atmosphere was cracking for the majority of the game and not many other fans going to a home game can come away from a game and say that. :drink:

Fair enough mate. As I said, a lot of waiting before Saturday and everyone had their own expectations.

And if you fancy having a bit of an 'away-day-atmosphere' at the Amex but are scared of standing up and annoying your neighbours come up and join us! Or at least give us a wave!

:cheers::drink:

Uwinsc

Aug 14, 2010
Horsham
Are you in WSL around block B by any chance because that sounds a lot like my dad and I know he introduced himself at spurs but I wasn't sitting with him for Donny. If it is I will pass on the good comments and ask him to watch the elbows!
Think it is block A I am seat 28 anyway

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
East stand I have a couple to my right (Mrs Manila to my left) the said couple I think are plastics, the guy (about 60) was sending text messages and had a Chelsea screensaver on his phone....

The wife (also about 60 ) did not even take her flag out of the wrapping...she had 2 bags with her one full of food...she kept offering her hubby food and he said get lost im watching the game....She will soon get pissed off with my fat arse jumping up every few mins....when we scored the second she did not even move.....

StillHateBellotti

Jun 17, 2011
Eastbourne
Bloke in front wearing a vest! But really should have put some deodorant on! Next time you block my daughters view i'll get her to hit you round the head with her nice new flag! :lol: Row D North Stand!

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
WSL right of Gus about 10 rows back. Good atmosphere, great view and decent group around us (theres 9 of us)

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
A real mix of people where I am in Block A, WSU. Right next to me are a mum, dad and young boy who were a bit quiet at first but into the second half the dad was much more boisterous. Whether he just let his hair down, had got a little drunker or was just coerced into joining in by those around him I don't know but it was telling how different he was by the end of the game to at the start.

Otherwise it's a motley crue of usual suspects. Not the loudest section for sure, but everybody getting involved. A lot of standing and no complaining and a few lads were taunting the Donny fans with a little bad language and hand gestures which also went by unchallenged (which is a good thing obviously).

When Buckley smashed in his second the guy in front turned round and tried to hug me before realising it wasn't quite going to work, such is the gradient.

I think the biggest (pleasant) surprise was that at the final whistle it was still full and nobody seemed in any hurry to leave. In fact the majority of those around me all hung around right up until the Palace score was actually announced so they could cheer.

So first impressions are that I'm pretty happy with my neighbours. I purposefully chose the seat right at the end which means I don't have to get up to let other people in or out, and it also means I can stand up and lean against the south wall without obstructing anybody else's view. This definitely makes a difference, and although all of yesterday's goals were up the other end, this won't always be the case obviously, and I had a prime view of the incident in which Lua Lua got booked for diving (which he didn't do) amongst other things.

All in all, pretty pretty good although it is bound to get a little more tasty when the away end is full. Most of the Donny fans yesterday were bunched up on the east side of the stand, which left a big gap immediately to my right. When that place is chocka with Palace mugs I fully expect the atmosphere to be 100% rowdier.

Up in Row M in the same block - 5 of us - and the two lads next to me on the other side were Londoners who have moved to the area. Started by admitting they supported Liverpool and Arsenal - by the end they went as mental as the rest of us when the winner went in so I think they'll be converted pretty soon.

Tummy Burger

Aug 1, 2003
Haywards Heath
People around us are spot on. Poor chap to my right is probably thinking he has an utter loon next to him, but I think Buckley's second went a long way to ensuring introductions in the area were sorted. Decent bunch on the row behind as well who found my heading ability quite amusing when a cross came in for CMS..... ( I would have scored it). Rest assured, I won't be quite that drunk for every game. WSU is spot on. Great view, atmosphere spot on.

Ian Bairds Fist

Nov 26, 2003
Kingston-upon-Thames
Isn't standing when we get a chance or close to the goal standard? Agreed standing the whole game or for the majority is abit much (aswell as the annoying 'if you hate palace' song) everyone near me in the WSL stood up when we got a chance. I thought that was to be expected?

Totally agree. Standing will happen when we get a chance and the sooner people realise it the easier it will be for them.

sussexadz121

Mar 21, 2011
Burgess Hill
My Mate and I have found ourselves in block N1A 3 blokes next to us introducted themselves and sang with us the whole game. We celebrated the goals together like idiots and even had a couple of beers afterwards in the north stand concourse. At which point one of the lads rang his misses and proceeded to tell her in a calming voice that he was stuck in the que for a train at falmer and would be a couple of hours whilst sniggering and happily chugging a 1664 !! what a lad !!

happy as larry

bobby smith

Jan 20, 2011
WORTHING
I had a rite TWAT next 2 me at Withers now i have my 3year old one side and gangway tother, all behind and along from us are Family and friends in a block of 20 in WSU, Happy Days ahead :amex:

Jul 28, 2010
Fareham, Hampshire
quite chuffed, stood throughout the game in row u of the north with no complaints from the bloke and his son behind me. on my left people stood as did infront but to my right they sat and moaned if anyone stood infront of them. everyone seemed allright and most people around me sung which was good.

RichieColeman

Jul 5, 2011
Hove
I'm in N1A, row S with my 3 brothers and another mate, all decent people around us who seem up for a laugh, atmosphere was awesome in general had a bit in the first half and start of the second where it wasn't as rocking as it could be, but not to worry we got 3 points and everyone had a fantastic day, job done !!!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
How bizarre is this. I am sitting in front of the same bloke as I was at Withdean!!!!!!!!

and its fine

Last edited:

DTES

Jul 7, 2003
London
Another one in the North Stand here slightly disappointed to find a family directly behind me who don't want to stand during the game.

Of course everyone has the right to watch the game how they want - but I think it's quite reasonable to follow the club's idea of the different groups of fans having their own "area" - not in any "bad" way, but simply so that everyone can watch the game how they want to watch it without annoying/offending others. There is a family stand - and even if that has/had sold-out, the North Stand was exempt from the U10 discount - surely people must have realised there's a reason for this? Either they wanted the 'North Stand atmosphere' or just chose to pay more than they needed to (as WSU would have been cheaper?)

Anyway, I'm not going to be an idiot, standing every game and ruining it for the kids - but as I say I'm slightly disappointed that I'll have to sit down every game - and I can't promise I'm going to be able to sit down if something exciting is happening, the person in front of me stands, or if someone sings "Stand up if you hate Palace".

Other than that, delighted with where I am. The groups to my left/right/in front are great with a quality atmosphere all round, no BO - and there was plenty of random hugging when Buckley slotted the winner home...

Last edited:

caesar

Oct 9, 2005
Well well..4 of us were in WSL C, row R , seats 74-78.. :wave:

The other side of you, S77/78 had a couple of right numpties, who like the OP said, JUST. WANTED.TO.TALK.THE.WHOLE. FRICKIN.TIME...

It was like Statler and Waldorf had a bastard love child with John Motson.

10 minutes in, and it's 'Sparrows useless' (he wasn't great, but was involved in the goal, and nothing like being positive eh?) and when the North stand struck up with the new tune it was 'who do they think they are, Athletico Madrid?'
Large and tall friend in R74 couldn't hold back, and told them to turn it in twice.

Quite incredibly, i got yesterdays ticket due to the STH being away on holiday, but the STH will definatly be a LOT louder and boisterous than myself -Have fun..! :)

The problem you have now caused your mates by spouting crap on here is a shame. Posting seat numbers was a mistake and now will need to be sorted out. I have sent you a PM . To put the record straight, were you the one who was so pissed he broke his seat or the bloke who couldnt even get his words out properly? We will continue to "talk" and we will have opinions, not that i remember either of us coming out with what you are claiming. Finally we stayed behind to straighten it out with your mate afterwards. Thought this had been achieved but obviously not. Be better all round now if you answer my PM!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here