Would you rather England win the World Cup or Brighton win promotion?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
If its every player proudest moment to play for their country then why do players announce their retirement from international football but carry on picking up a wage packet for the next 4 years or more?

I would choose Brighton every time, not because of the nationality of the players, or the manager but because they are MY club.

And if anyone assumes that brand Beckham would be as big as it is now if he had refused to play for England and got the worldwide exposure then they are an idiot as well. England caps do boost a players earnings, while they are still playing and long after they finish playing.

If I was to earn 100k a week I would be more than happy to donate my extra £1500 England appearance money to charity 6 times a year while still picking up my £100k pay check , I earn about £400 a week so it would be like me donating 6 quid.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
I would rather England win the Rugby World Cup again than Brighton win promotion,let alone the football version

but I would take Brighton winning the FA Cup over the rugby

and Brighton winning the European Cup over the football

but only because England have won both already

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
No contest - England winning the World Cup would be one of the best things to happen in this country for decades. Brighton WILL definitely win promotion at some point in my lifetime. England would be a once in a lifetime event, a time when the whole nation is united in joy.

Ridiculous question.

Do you think all the Polish, Romanians, Albanians, Germans, Indians, Pakistanis, Scots, Irish, Welsh and any other nationalities that are over here would be happy about it? Don't forget there is a large part of the English population that are not interested in football (we call these people women :) ). It might unite about 50% of the nation but no where near the whole nation.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
World Cup.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Let me put it this way...

When Robbie Reinelt rifled home that rebound against Hereford I felt a moment of condensed joy like no other. Pleasure of infinite density, if you will. Despite the many moments of excitement we have all experienced following the club, nothing has ever been as sweet as that moment and I suspect that nothing else ever will. I could hardly wait to get to work on Monday to share the occasion with anyone and everyone...

...except that anyone and everyone didn't give a damn when I bounced into the office. To them it was a curiosity, a pinprick of interest over the weekend, something that they saw at the end if the sports bulletin. I wanted to share the moment but nobody wanted to share it with me.

If England ever won the World Cup we would all get to share the moment.

Just this once and in this, so far, hypothetical situation I would choose club over country.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Brighton to win promotion.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well, we are not going to win promotion next season but we are still in with a chance at the WC.

If the question means never ever get promotion, then it I may think differently, so the question needs to be redefined?

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Those saying Brighton are just daft. England winning is going to be once in a life time experience (here's hoping)

Well, it would be a twice in a lifetime experience for many of us, actually (as indeed would Brighton being promoted to the top division).

In any case, and not just because I'm old enough to remember the first time, I'm strongly with the Brighton option on this one, simply because England winning would generate a short-term surge of nationalist excitement and celebration (still great fun, of course), while Brighton getting promoted would make a real difference to my life on a week-by-week basis for as long as we stayed up, seeing football of a different quality (home and away) to what we are used to, and if things go well, perhaps even getting to see our team in European competitions in due course. So Brighton getting promoted opens up a huge amount of potential for the future, whereas England winning the World Cup means a big p**s-up, and then that's it; indeed as France, Italy, Spain and others have discovered, once you've won it, the only way is down.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
the promotion thing is overated,it's a natural cycle of most football clubs

would rather Brighton win a domestic trophy,something permanent,in the history books

BRIGHTON & HOVE ALBION engraved on a cup

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Yes, just what I was going to write, also the other comment "Brighton will get promoted anyway in my lifetime" becomes somewhat more critical the further down the road you get!!

Well, it would be a twice in a lifetime experience for many of us, actually (as indeed would Brighton being promoted to the top division).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If the scenario were possible, would you be able to watch the England games knowing nothing was going to happen because you knew Brighton were going to get promoted or, having watched England win the world cup, would you go to the Amex knowing there was nothing to play for?

My answer to these questions is there that I want both and won't concede either until each is impossible!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
I would rather England win the Rugby World Cup again than Brighton win promotion,

I think I'm the only Englishman who always wants England to lose at rugby, possibly to do with me still blindly viewing it as a load of privileged white boys, regardless of the reality if it. As for BHA v Le Coupe Du Monde? Too close to call so fence.

ExmouthExile

Feb 11, 2005
Didn't even have to think about it - World Cup for me, I've desperately wanted to see it happen for 40 odd years. I was 1 year old when England won it in '66, so too young to remember. Anyone much older than me have precious memories of what it's like to win it, while anyone younger than me havn't been waiting as long as I have to win it again, so people of my generation have been waiting and suffering for longer than anyone else. I can't even imagine the euphoria of winning the World Cup, personally I couldn't even compare that to Brighton winning promotion, which would be great, but no contest for me.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
England any time. I think every league team who could have been promoted since England won the World Cup has been,

Edit: thinking again, have Coventry been promoted since 1966 or just relegated?

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)
World Cup for me - Brighton will get promotion in due course

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brighton win promotion, and as much as it means to us, 70% of football fans will think of us as nothing more than next season's cannon fodder for the title contenders. England win the World Cup and the whole WORLD recognises England as home of the World Champions.

I don't think I'll ever see England as World Cup winners, to be honest, and for that reason it beats an Albion promotion for me.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I am 55, I have never had a dancing in the street moment.I was too young in 66, not alive for V.E. day or V.J. day, I would absolutely love it for us to win the World Cup,I believe it would rank alongside the above events in terms of celebrations.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports