Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you rather England win the World Cup or Brighton win promotion?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
No contest - England winning the World Cup would be one of the best things to happen in this country for decades. Brighton WILL definitely win promotion at some point in my lifetime. England would be a once in a lifetime event, a time when the whole nation is united in joy.

Ridiculous question.

100% disagree. So not a ridiculous question at all. Brighton over England EVERY time for me. Feel much more engaged with my local team than the constantly under-performing prima donnas that represent my nation. Always have. Always will.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Well the poll is an idiot then. It's a lunatic question.

Overly aggressive response. And it is true that Brighton promotion has come out on top in previous polls. Who are you to say that the majority are idiotic!? FFS.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
But Brighton are very, very, very likely to go up anyway, so why waste your "wish", if you get me? England winning the WC is definitely more unlikely.

So what. The OP asked which would you prefer NOT which was least likely.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
Poll?

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I do think we need a poll here. Seems to be some strong views on both sides. To each their own, but the question is anything but idiotic.

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
Can someone set up a poll please? I am not sure how?But responses so far do not prove that it is an idiotic question. It shows where your heart is.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Well the poll is an idiot then. It's a lunatic question.

You do come across bizarrely arrogant on here sometimes. As as others have said, I'm pretty sure Brighton comes out on top of these polls most times (although in the past I think it might have been FA Cup win or World Cup).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Have seen England win the World Cup and BHA in top division so at the moment England to win the World cup cos it wouldnt matter if they flopped after that it is in the record books. Brighton will get promoted within the next couple of seasons but based on the last 2 we are not ready and would struggle without tremendous investment. This could set us back too much in many ways, so lets be patient.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
You do come across bizarrely arrogant on here sometimes. As as others have said, I'm pretty sure Brighton comes out on top of these polls most times (although in the past I think it might have been FA Cup win or World Cup).

I'm being tongue in cheek and overly dramatic for comic effect. I suppose tone is lost in the written word. I don't GENUINELY think a poll (which isn't even a real thing) is an idiot.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
England, no question. The buzz around the country when we got to the semis in 1990 was amazing; I can only imagine what it'd be like if we got to the final and won the thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
This. I never understand the club over country brigade.
I'm much more interested in Brighton than England, but I'd also prefer England to win the WC, by a country mile, for the same reasons as everyone else has pointed out.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
100% disagree. So not a ridiculous question at all. Brighton over England EVERY time for me. Feel much more engaged with my local team than the constantly under-performing prima donnas that represent my nation. Always have. Always will.

I actually feel a lot of affinity towards the England players in that playing in the World Cup (or Euros) is all about representing your country on the biggest stage and nothing to do with money.

Let's be realistic. Most of the Brighton squad play for us because we've offered them the best contract available.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I actually feel a lot of affinity towards the England players in that playing in the World Cup (or Euros) is all about representing your country on the biggest stage and nothing to do with money.

Let's be realistic. Most of the Brighton squad play for us because we've offered them the best contract available.

Yep. Agree with this.

Let's be honest, although not the astronomical wages of prem players, our Brighton players still earn WAY more than me for less "work" (hours etc). So let's rule out the money side of it from how we relate to the players.

So for me that leaves a simple match off. 11 ENGLISH blokes playing for ENGLAND (my country) or A pole, 3 irishmen, 2 englishmen, an argentinian and 4 spanish blokes managed by a fin who play in a stadium in Brighton.

If there is any form of "affinity" with the players then I know which ones on paper I'd go for.

So, ruling out the "I can;t relate to england players as much as brighton players" argument I go on the basis of logic and emotion.

1 - the sheer emotion of seeing an englishman lift the WORLD CUP would be phenomenal.
2 - The odds of me seeing us win the world cup in my lifetime are FAR WORSE than winning thw world cup, thus making it a bigger/more exciting achievment.

If it was "would you rather Brighton won the premier league or England won the world cup?", well then I'd be in a PICKLE.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

You mean the overpaid primadonnas that have fluffed their lines in two play off semi finals and, other than some notable exceptions, have no loyalty to Brighton whatsoever. In comparison to the England players who, although admittedly being well payed, are representing their country and, as far as I'm concerned, have so far done us proud (pretty sure all England players donate any fee/bonuses pay for the WC to charities).

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003

Yeah, right. Because no England players have ever boosted their already ridiculous pay packets via their England appearances! Oh, wait a minute. That isn't right!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here