Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Would you rather England win the World Cup or Brighton win promotion?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Yeah, right. Because no England players have ever boosted their already ridiculous pay packets via their England appearances! Oh, wait a minute. That isn't right!

I don't for one second believe that a player who earns £80k a week plays for England once every 2 months to "boost" his pay packet.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I am ADAMANT players play for their country because it is the ultimate in their career.

However, player's playing for us actively seek their agents to eek as much money out of us to get them to don the stripes.

I can't really have international football attacked as a money making scheme for players when it is a direct comparison to club football.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
From an article in 2011

"The match fees paid to England's senior players - £750 for a defeat, £1,000 for a draw and £1,500 for a win - have been diverted to a range of good causes over recent seasons."

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
You mean the overpaid primadonnas that have fluffed their lines in two play off semi finals and, other than some notable exceptions, have no loyalty to Brighton whatsoever. In comparison to the England players who, although admittedly being well payed, are representing their country and, as far as I'm concerned, have so far done us proud (pretty sure all England players donate any fee/bonuses pay for the WC to charities).

Yes! Sorry, but YOU can't tell ME who I feel more affinity with. That is Brighton. Not the ridiculously overpaid and over-pampered perennial failures hand-picked from the Prem's 'finest' teams and beyond to represent our nation.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
I'm being tongue in cheek and overly dramatic for comic effect. I suppose tone is lost in the written word. I don't GENUINELY think a poll (which isn't even a real thing) is an idiot.

I'm aware of that. I was referring to phrases like 'No contest' 'Ridiculous question' and 'Lunatic question'.

Don't end up like Ernest has recently where it's hard to decipher whether it's his joke persona or genuine opinion (obviously you're not close to being on the same scale!).

(And yes, I'm aware of the irony of me accusing you of being arrogant and then offering you advice!)

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I don't for one second believe that a player who earns £80k a week plays for England once every 2 months to "boost" his pay packet.

Perhaps I'm naive, but I am ADAMANT players play for their country because it is the ultimate in their career.

However, player's playing for us actively seek their agents to eek as much money out of us to get them to don the stripes.

I can't really have international football attacked as a money making scheme for players when it is a direct comparison to club football.

You seem to:

(a) not have watched any adverts during WC games;and;
(b) fail to recognise that those very same England players you worship also have club contracts, and far more lucrative ones than those of the Brighton players, partly based on their England appearances no doubt.

As I say, to each their own.

I would obviously enjoy England winning the WC (not holding my breath!), but I would enjoy us getting promoted to the Prem about a zillion times more.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
From an article in 2011

"The match fees paid to England's senior players - £750 for a defeat, £1,000 for a draw and £1,500 for a win - have been diverted to a range of good causes over recent seasons."

And, of course, that is the major money-making opportunity for any England player. Credit to them for that tho' - the poor hard-done-by poverty-stricken lambs.

After all, they only take home about £100k plus per week basic whilst they're playing. Then it all stops. How will they survive after leaving the game?

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
And, of course, that is the major money-making opportunity for any England player. Credit to them for that tho' - the poor hard-done-by poverty-stricken lambs.

After all, they only take home about £100k plus per week basic whilst they're playing. Then it all stops. How will they survive after leaving the game?

Your sarcasm suggests you are arguing against your own point now.

1 minute you claim England players boost their bank accounts by playing for England, the next you sarcastically joke away that they give up their fees for charity as they earn so much anyway.

Surely that alone would show no england player represents his country for the money. Surely. Ashley cole took 100 caps to earn a weeks wages at Chelsea.

I have absolutely no issue with who you feel affiliation for, none whatsoever. However the constant use of "overpaid england players" really annoys me. Yes they are massivly overpaid....for their CLUB. They play for England because they want to. The money has nothing to do with England as a team.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009

Nice strawman, all football league players are well payed, yes some more then others but it certainly shouldn't influence how 'in tune' the normal man on the street feels about them, unless they are supporting their mate rob the electrician turn out for his pub team.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
No contest - England winning the World Cup would be one of the best things to happen in this country for decades. Brighton WILL definitely win promotion at some point in my lifetime. England would be a once in a lifetime event, a time when the whole nation is united in joy.

Ridiculous question.

This!

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
If England win the world cup the feel good factor would last for years to come.

Brighton going up would last a season before being relegated and back to the championship. plus just getting promoted isnt that great, winning the league would be much better. however we are sill sharing promotion with two other teams.

Plus I would ruddy love England to win, Euro 96 built the solid foundations for my obsession for football so I would love to see England win a major tournement while i am still fairly young.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Your sarcasm suggests you are arguing against your own point now.

1 minute you claim England players boost their bank accounts by playing for England, the next you sarcastically joke away that they give up their fees for charity as they earn so much anyway.

Surely that alone would show no england player represents his country for the money. Surely. Ashley cole took 100 caps to earn a weeks wages at Chelsea.

I have absolutely no issue with who you feel affiliation for, none whatsoever. However the constant use of "overpaid england players" really annoys me. Yes they are massivly overpaid....for their CLUB. They play for England because they want to. The money has nothing to do with England as a team.

Not sure I agree - in fact, I don't agree - that their overall income has nothing to do with their England caps. Still, do carry on getting carried away with the England wave of euphoria. It will only last a few more hours!! Maybe a few more days if we're lucky!!

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Nice strawman, all football league players are well payed, yes some more then others but it certainly shouldn't influence how 'in tune' the normal man on the street feels about them, unless they are supporting their mate rob the electrician turn out for his pub team.

I know what you mean. But I personally feel more affinity with my local team than I do with the England one.

For the third time, to each their own.

Although if I see another bl00dy Jo Hart advert I'm likely to throw my remote at the telly! :sick:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I used to love England, Euro 96 was great and there certainly needs to be another tournament here.

But I've just had much of the enthusiasm for the side knocked out me by disappointment following disappointment every 2 years. I struggle to care about them much now, and just expect to crash out tonight, or vs Costa Rica, or in a penalty shoot out defeat in the last 16.

So, strangely whilst I suppose winning the World Cup would fix a lot of these feelings, I just have no attachment to it happenning.

I hope they win tonight but will probably only catch the second half.

D

Deleted member 18477

England to win the world cup for me. Once in a lifetime experience. The country would literally go mental!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Those saying Brighton are just daft. England winning is going to be once in a life time experience (here's hoping)

I would love to know what the average age of the posters on here is. For some of us, Winning the World Cup would be a twice in a lifetime experience. I was 13 in 1966, and remember it very well.

Guy Crouchback

Jun 20, 2012
Winning the World Cup is for a national team what winning the Champions League is for a club, so the question should be: "Would you rather England win the World Cup or Brighton win the Champions League?".

CP 0 3 BHA

Nov 28, 2003
Northants
No contest - England winning the World Cup would be one of the best things to happen in this country for decades. Brighton WILL definitely win promotion at some point in my lifetime. England would be a once in a lifetime event, a time when the whole nation is united in joy.

I'm far more into supporting the Albion than watching England but I totally agree with this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here