Worst Pub in Brighton and Hove.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Thing with the Albion is you go in, know what to expect, you get a decent hello from one of the wilderbeasts behind the bar, decent-ish pint, its clean and always lively. Its not a bad boozer, just a bit old school.

Agreed, im 27 but I quite like it in there.

I was in there a few months back, someone lit up a fag and the bouncer told him to put it out and he just told him to **** off and carried on. I just had a chuckle to myself.

Nibble, the slug and lettece and the Weatherspoons across the road, both crap pubs. not sure they count.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Wetherspoons down the bottom. God Gawd. It is like God's waiting room in there. Have a friend that calls the old men in there "grippers" at they hold onto their pints for dear life and never seem to let them go.

Grippers. That's so true, love it. Everywhere on George St is awful as are most Wetherspoons but that one is particularly grot.

Now, who can tell me this one, I don't know the name of the pub or the street but if you go up near the to of elm Grove and cut into a little pedestrianized, mews type street but not as nice as a mews. It's residential except for this one pub. It looks quite charming from outside. It is literally the unfriendliest pub I have ever been in. So intimidating was it that me and the mrs got a half in there just so we didn't invite hostility for walking straight back out. We took two sips and left. Absolutely shockingly bad.

There's a dive on Rosehill Terrace I went into once. Shithole.

Last edited:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I was just about to say the Stadium, but on discussing this with work mates, apparently it has now been shut down completely.

Do you mean the one in Old Shoreham Road at the bottom of Holmes Avenue?

If so, it's called the Atlas and I'm sure I saw a sign outside a couple of weeks ago advertising an Italian restaurant there.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Do you mean the one in Old Shoreham Road at the bottom of Holmes Avenue?

If so, it's called the Atlas and I'm sure I saw a sign outside a couple of weeks ago advertising an Italian restaurant there.

Yes, its now called atlas, but i doubt many would realise that it had changed names. now shut down completely as confirmed by Ernest.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Grippers. That's so true, love it. Everywhere on George St is awful as are most Wetherspoons but that one is particularly grot.

Now, who can tell me this one, I don't know the name of the pub or the street but if you go up near the to of elm Grove and cut into a little pedestrianized, mews type street but not as nice as a mews. It's residential except for this one pub. It looks quite charming from outside. It is literally the unfriendliest pub I have ever been in. So intimidating was it that me and the mrs got a half in there just so we didn't invite hostility for walking straight back out. We took two sips and left. Absolutely shockingly bad.

There's a dive on Rosehill Terrace I went into once. Shithole.

Pool table pretty much in the entrance and a tiny bar?

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I'm amazed only one person fleetingly mentioned The Seafield on New Church Road, walked in once and like a scene out of a Western, everybody stopped drinking stared at me and my mate which led to us walking straight back out. I thought I was the only one so I asked other people and similar stories were passed down.

Yes yes yes the flipping seafield I'd forgotten that place. Had a pint at a ledge opposite the bar and a local came and asked if I was a copper! No I am not a copper but finished my beer and walked out.

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Pub at the bottom of Pankhurst avenue, I think it was called The Queens Park Tavern, not a place to speak out of turn in if I remember.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The big one on 5 ways if it's still there, was routinely voted one of Brighton's worst about 10 years ago.

Couple of pubs mentioned are no more. The Stag is being demolished and turned into flats, and the Red Lion on Queens Park Road (?) was also demolished and turned into houses many years ago

The original Red Lion was demolished and rebuilt in the sixties I believe, the current incarnation was converted into flats within the last ten years. Went in there once and it wasn't good!

Pub at the bottom of Pankhurst avenue, I think it was called The Queens Park Tavern, not a place to speak out of turn in if I remember.

This! And what about the 'Blue House' at the bottom of Sussex Street? Owned by Frankie Fraser.

Truthspeak. Does anyone know anyone that's ever been in there?

There is a lezza bar down a side street from St James towards Edward St. They have lunchtime Karaoke and people still smoke in there. It's got a big open window front and when you walk past say at 3pm on a Wednesday there is a really bad drag queen crooning away through the smoke against a tinsel backdrop curtain. Class.

I've been in the Jury's Out a few times in its previous incarnation as the Thurlow Arms. The pub you are talking about with the lezzas is the Queens Arms in George Street.

J.W. Lennons is towards the Spiritualist Church on Eastern Road (possibly) Near to Upper Rock Gardens.

Correct, it's very near to the corner of Edward Street and Upper Rock Gardens.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Yes yes yes the flipping seafield I'd forgotten that place. Had a pint at a ledge opposite the bar and a local came and asked if I was a copper! No I am not a copper but finished my beer and walked out.

lol some well know bha lads drink in there

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports