Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Pub in Brighton and Hove.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
One place that I'd really like to try is The Zone on St Jame's Street. Looks good but I'm saving it for when I meet that special lady, definitely first date venue.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
The Golden Cannon in Kempt Town is a crotch of a place.

Hellfire you are good at this, it became my local for a while and it really isn't a nice place. Really pretensious, a certain ex Fast Show cast memeber is normally in there sounding off about something or other and he's a deeply unlikeable man.

Joe Pineapples

Mar 28, 2010
Brighton
Hellfire you are good at this, it became my local for a while and it really isn't a nice place. Really pretensious, a certain ex Fast Show cast memeber is normally in there sounding off about something or other and he's a deeply unlikeable man.

Pretentious? Man alive, if there's one place I'd never call pretentious it's the Golden Cannon...

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Good call. Absolute shitter. And just along the road from there, the Bristol Bar is pretty crap too.

Indeed, ghastly place. Quite a few dumps round there. The Stag for one. I lived on Sutherland Road a few years back. Tried in vain to find a decent local. One up the road which was called many things even in the 3 years I lived near but was definitely called Hemingways at one point. I never, NEVER saw a soul in there. They gave up opening during the week at one point! Opened on weekends and had a kid's video club on a Saturday morning. They tried flogging Bush meat barbecue at one point. To no avail.

Then there was The Round Georges nee The Sutherland. Grimbsy United.

If I went out round there I usually went to The Thomas Kemp which was alright.

Joe Pineapples

Mar 28, 2010
Brighton
Thought of another one: The Jurys Out on Edward Street. Has no idea what it wants to be, and as a result is absolutely nothing.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

All I can remember about this place is that I went in there after a Gruff Rhys gig and the lighting was so bright I had to leave.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Pretentious? Man alive, if there's one place I'd never call pretentious it's the Golden Cannon...

I was refering to the clientele more than the venue, I always thought there were anumber of wannbee gangster types in there & failed/aspiring Kemp Town Luvvies. To be fair I'm talking around 7 years ago when I used to live in that neck of the woods, it may well have changed.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
At one point The Stag up near Sutherland Rd got it's license revoked yet still opened to serve soft drinks. Mind boggling. If you run a boozer and you lose your alcohol license it's probably time to throw in the towel surely?

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Couple of pubs mentioned are no more. The Stag is being demolished and turned into flats, and the Red Lion on Queens Park Road (?) was also demolished and turned into houses many years ago

Joe Pineapples

Mar 28, 2010
Brighton
Couple of pubs mentioned are no more. The Stag is being demolished and turned into flats, and the Red Lion on Queens Park Road (?) was also demolished and turned into houses many years ago

Ah, I was talking about the Red Lion in Hove. I feel a bit bad about including it now anyway. It's just a dingy little local boozer with crap beer, not a terminal hovel like some of the other ones.

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
For me whilst a lot of the drink inn Brighton pubs are decent I think their business model verges on a monopoly. Most of their pubs have a limited range of beers and the landlords are tied to a rather limited range of ales. Pretty damaging to the industry as a whole in my opinion.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Thought of another one: The Jurys Out on Edward Street. Has no idea what it wants to be, and as a result is absolutely nothing.

Truthspeak. Does anyone know anyone that's ever been in there?

There is a lezza bar down a side street from St James towards Edward St. They have lunchtime Karaoke and people still smoke in there. It's got a big open window front and when you walk past say at 3pm on a Wednesday there is a really bad drag queen crooning away through the smoke against a tinsel backdrop curtain. Class.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Wellington? The Martha Gunn? The Stanmer Park? The Grand Central? The Franklin? The Sussex (Hove)? The Sussex Cricketer? The Victory (twrribly kept ale)? There are a fair few crap pubs to be fair. Whoever said the Mitre needs to have a word with themselves though.

Edit: also the Blind Busker and the Bat and Ball.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
I must be becoming a bit of a vagabond, as I quite like the Golden Cannon, and The Mitre.

The Stadium (Atlas) which closed last month and The Cobblers Thumb which has recently been pulled down, for my money were two of the worst. But due to playing bar billiards, I have to frequent The Branch, which I cannot abide.

Worst pub in the area must be The Bat & Ball. If I start drinking in there, please give me a large slap.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007

Good job. If ever a pub needed putting out of it's misery it's The Stag. When you looked at it from the street and looked up you saw the decrepit pub facia and rising up from behind, that huge towerblock. So depressing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There is a little boozer on the corner of a side street near the hairdressers with the dog and the piano at top of Kemptown/St Georges rd, can't recall the name but it hasn't been done up since the 1950's and caters solely for daytime alcys. Never been in but it looks ****ing awful.

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
.....Sorry I had forgotten the worst pub by far in Brighton. J.W. Lennons, which used to be The Leconfield. A shit hole before it was made over, and continues to be afterwards.

Awful beer. Peanut shells on the floor. No atmosphere, didn't know what the "W" meant, and the landlord was fully up his own posterior.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here