Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Worst Pub in Brighton and Hove.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Bat and Ball has to be up there, shit hole. The Albion is pretty grim and that place The Buskers? and the Greenhouse effect look awful but never been in. The Brighton Trades and Labour clubs are pretty depressing but by very definition are not "Public House", still, you'd have to go pretty far to beat an evening in there as one of the most depressing events in your life.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Going by the price of the food, the cost of the beer is ball-park I should imagine. They are not trying to attract people looking for a cheap night out, but more moneyed types it would seem

Maybe not. But, you do not have to be 'moneyed' to enjoy a more expensive beer. Just drink a bit less of more interesting drinks.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Victory can be great but there is a barmaid in there who is really not fit enough to get away with being as moody as she is.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sussex went downhill when Caps closed down. Where else could your girlfriend get her purse stolen AND chatted up by immigrants all night long? Those places are precious, we are losing our heritage.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
It's a shame the Spreadeagle has closed now, that used to be my stock response.

Bat & Ball, Hollingbury, Stamner Park Tavern & Seafield are all up there for me.

The Whistle Stop used to be my work local, it was ok I guess. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry, but how can ANY pint be justified when its north of £4.90 ?

I paid £4.40 for a pint of Kronenbourg in The Fiddlers Elbow a few months back, and felt DEEPLY resentful for the rest of the week.

If it's small batch brewed and shipped in from a small foreign brewer then it can easily be justified and a lot of the beers I drink are made by people who have little interest in making huge profits so I know the costs incurred, and the resulting slightly higher price, is genuinely down to their particular factors and not a rip off. Whether you think it is worth it is a different matter.

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I was in the Albion Friday night, by the fish tank. it looks like smoking really should still be allowed.

Biggest shit hole though... the Green House affect... Jesus christ that is a Dive.

I'm sure the over 40's love it though.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
Sussex went downhill when Caps closed down. Where else could your girlfriend get her purse stolen AND chatted up by immigrants all night long? Those places are precious, we are losing our heritage.

Wow, I forgot that place even existed an ex of mine used to work there many moons ago & you do a very good job of summing up what I thought about the place. You forget to mention the option to get a dog meat kebab on the way out.

Not sure I get the hate for Lion & Lobster though. I get that it is normally busy but that's a pretty good sign isn't it?

Joe Pineapples

Mar 28, 2010
Brighton
There's a few contenders. In no particular order:

1) The Branch Tavern
2) The Alibi
3) Red Lion
4) H Bar
5) Greenhouse Effect

Maybe I'm just picky, but those are stinkers.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Wow, I forgot that place even existed an ex of mine used to work there many moons ago & you do a very good job of summing up what I thought about the place. You forget to mention the option to get a dog meat kebab on the way out.

Not sure I get the hate for Lion & Lobster though. I get that it is normally busy but that's a pretty good sign isn't it?

Oh yes, they owned the Kebab shop above didn't they. Always looked like you should come up through a grease covered hatch in the floor.
Plenty of people love the Lion and Lob. I suppose I can see why I just find it hellish. I got into a fist fight in there with Patrick Bergin. He is one bloated, drunken mess.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The Victory can be great but there is a barmaid in there who is really not fit enough to get away with being as moody as she is.

Hmmmm. I used to like this place as it served good beer, had great music and whilst central seemed to be devoid of townies. In fact I have had some good nights in there with yourself. Went in there last June and it was full of townies. Very disappointing.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The Golden Cannon in Kempt Town is a crotch of a place.

Oct 25, 2003
the hobgoblin can be an absolute nightmare at times....usually the day before a bank holiday. It's usually alright but then you remember that it's London Road.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Hmmmm. I used to like this place as it served good beer, had great music and whilst central seemed to be devoid of townies. In fact I have had some good nights in there with yourself. Went in there last June and it was full of townies. Very disappointing.

Yes, I used to love it and as you say we have enjoyed a few good uns there, NYE for one. But it is full of daytime towny drinkers now for some reason and a guy that will not shut up and **** off, just talks and talks to you, follows you outside etc.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I got into a fist fight in there with Patrick Bergin. He is one bloated, drunken mess.

That'll do it. I will say I've been there on a Saturday afternoon on occassion & sometimes encountered some who I suspect had been up all night, desperate for a bit of trouble/ attention but in the main I'm very fond of the place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here