[Football] Women's World Cup

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
England looked poor against the USA at Wembley and were lucky to draw, ever since the Euros we have gone off the boil, which is to be expected to an extent, those worried about a lack of goals will be delighted that we are playing Haiti first, that should reach double figures and boost the teams confidence. I thought Spain were very unlucky against us in the Euros and have some very young talented players who will have come on from the tournament, they are my dark horses.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Weren't Norway a "dark horse" for the tournament? Absolutely dire quality from them, park football. Pleased for NZ, scored a decent goal. Can't see myself watching many games if it's this poor. Plus hugely irritating commentators for this game.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
So pleased for New Zealand - they deserved that win despite Norway coming back into it at the end.

Bad news for Australia for the second match today - Sam Kerr has picked up an injury in training and will miss at least the first two games.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
I thought Spain were very unlucky against us in the Euros and have some very young talented players who will have come on from the tournament, they are my dark horses.
Joint second favourites not really 'dark horses'...Great pick though must have a good chance

Bit like earlier post who had 9/1 Australia as their 'dark horse'

I'll have 50p on the Netherlands @ 25/1 and New Zealand (after today) @ 100/1

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
So pleased for New Zealand - they deserved that win despite Norway coming back into it at the end.

Bad news for Australia for the second match today - Sam Kerr has picked up an injury in training and will miss at least the first two games.
Huge loss for Australia. But they should still have enough to get through the group stages though despite a decent Nigeria side.

Getting her back for the Canada group game will be more important. Finish 2nd and it'll likely be Eng v Aus in the R16.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
That was a terrible game. I think I'll give the group stages a wide berth if that's the standard. The knock-out stages will surely be a better watch.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
A penny for the thoughts of ITV Sport.

They've got a whole 45 minutes to fill before kickoff and the inevitable pre-match Sam Kerr feature will have to go back in storage.

Grizz

Jul 5, 2003
Graham Hansen looked quality for Norway, not surprised she plays for Barca.

Huge blow for Australia losing Kerr, but still should have enough to beat Ireland.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Joint second favourites not really 'dark horses'...Great pick though must have a good chance

Bit like earlier post who had 9/1 Australia as their 'dark horse'

I'll have 50p on the Netherlands @ 25/1 and New Zealand (after today) @ 100/1
That was me and I'd say they are the epitome of a 'dark horse' They're not one of the names you see bandied around as one of the favourites (such as Germany, USA, Sweden, France), and they're not a rank outsider with no chance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Televised games for today and tomorrow (UK times)

Screenshot_20230720_105803_Chrome.jpg

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
That was me and I'd say they are the epitome of a 'dark horse' They're not one of the names you see bandied around as one of the favourites (such as Germany, USA, Sweden, France), and they're not a rank outsider with no chance.
They are shorter odds than France to win it

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
The Straya v "Island" match was billed as football but it wasn't decent football as a football fan would know it, more like it had been dumbed down, however the crowd seemed to lap it up.
I'm going to watch as many of these games as I can with the hope they improve.
Please improve, I need football to watch.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Time to give this a bounce before England's game this morning.

Disappointing to see more penalties not converted (4) so far than scored (2). Smaller goalkeeper than in the men's game so more space to aim at.

The quality of players that failed from 12 yards is very surprising too - Canada's Christine Sinclair, USA's Alex Morgan, Spain's Jenny Hermoso.

With the USA and Spain only winning by 3, it's over to England to rack up the first big score of the tournament. (Edit - Japan have 4 so far...)

Having not scored in the last 3 games, that'll do them the power of good.

Last edited:

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Despite the changes to the team since the Euros, we should have more than enough to beat Haiti this morning. Hopefully they won't do a San Marino and score first... 😜

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Like all these big competitions will take an interest from quarter final stage. Unbelievable all the hype about Englands first game and I see they are 1/80 to win. Even Man City would not be that against a national league side
I know it would be less games so less money but cricket has it right in world cups when lesser teams have there own league and just 4 qualify for the finals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports