Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Women's World Cup

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Been looking forward to this for ages, and particularly since England won the Euros. Our form has dipped since due to injuries and retirements but I still expect us to get to at least the quarters and hopefully all the way!

USA are no longer quite the dominant force they were but are just still the favourites, with teams like Germany just behind and Australia are a wildcard possibility as they have done well in the run up.

Expect NZ and Australia to win today's games but we shall see!

Let the football begin! 😁⚽

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Should be a cracking tournament, and thanks to the injuries the pressure is off England. We are free to give it our best shot without the burden of unrealistic expectations.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it as well. We have dropped off badly after the Euros and I don't think we'll win it. Good shout on Australia being the dark horses, they are at home as well.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Albion Women's Rebekah Stott starts for NZ.

As for England, some poor form by their own standards going into the tournament with no goals in the last 3 games.

Win the group and it's probably either Canada (Olympic Champions) or Australia (hosts). Tough. Germany or Brazil/France in the QF. Very tough.

A semi-final would likely see them play the other of Canada and Australia.

But I fear those key injuries to the likes of Williamson, Mead and Kirby plus a non-matchfit Bright will put pay to England's hopes of lifting the trophy.

They looked defensively frail in the Portugal warm-up game, so let's hope that they've got those issues ironed out.

And some goals would be good. I'm expecting at least 8 against the 53rd FIFA ranked Haiti.

With the increase of teams from 24 to 32 and the massive gulf between the top sides and the rest, we'll likely see some group stage thrashings.

Last edited:

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Bit of a hard watch this. No shots on target from either side in the 1st half. Stott's playing well though.

Hoping for better 2nd half as the game opens up.

And fully expecting Sam Kerr to find the net for Australia in the later game against Ireland.

Edit...except she's out for the first 2 games with a calf injury in training. Huge loss.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Was expecting a bit more hype and enthusiasm from all the women who claimed to be supporting women’s football after the Euros.

Still, I will dip in when I can.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Was expecting a bit more hype and enthusiasm from all the women who claimed to be supporting women’s football after the Euros.

Still, I will dip in when I can.
What, you mean they haven't all contacted The 'Sex God' Clamp? :)

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'm going to Germany V Morrocco on Monday night.

New Zealand are going to be happy with this.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
To be fair, most of them are busy employed by BBC Sport. Contract terms include using 'record-breaking' at least once per article or show.

Joking aside, it's been comparatively quiet media-wise with the TV rights only secured in June due to broadcaster perceived value and FIFA greed.

Like most tournaments, it'll get going after the group stages. Let's hope England go far enough for it to build like last summer.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
Stott substituted - thought she had a good game on the whole including one very important block in the penalty area.

Norway already resorting to hit and hope - quite poor from them given their front line.

Heart and Soul

Jul 7, 2023
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it as well. We have dropped off badly after the Euros and I don't think we'll win it. Good shout on Australia being the dark horses, they are at home as well.
No way. Would be like Qatar winning the men's World Cup last year.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
No way. Would be like Qatar winning the men's World Cup last year.
Australia beat England 2-0 back in April. They beat a combined GB side (mainly England) in the 2020 Olympic QF. They're FIFA ranked 10.

And in Sam Kerr they've got arguably the best women's forward in the world playing for them.

With the home support, they could make the Final at least.

zeetha

Apr 11, 2011
New Zealand tiring so Norway coming back into it. I do hope NZ hold on to win though as they've deserved it for their performance so far.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Have Norway ever played together before?
They've been very poor.

One wonders if that 8-0 thrashing by England at the Amex still weighs heavily on their minds.

And NZ now have a penalty...which they missed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here